Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Running, then a bike and now swimming! Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ronanmac wrote: »
    Running, then a bike and now swimming! Hmm...

I'll admit to having an interest in doing something involving run and bike but the day you'll see me in a race involving swimming will be the day I will actually go backwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

littlebug wrote: »
    ...but the day you'll see me in a race involving swimming will be the day I will actually go backwards!

Wow, Littlebug, are you thinking of doing a reverse triathlon?!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    Today... hard to get out without kids and/ or dog

I know this feeling! Am at home at the moment and had great plans for running. But somehow the kids didn't seem to need minding when I was making these plans...:rolleyes:

Like you though there is nothing like a run at the beach with the dog.

Are you working towards a triathlon?

maria74 wrote: »

Are you working towards a triathlon?

not a chance :D My sea swimming is mainly floating and pool swimming involves staying at the side "just in case". I doubt if I could swim a full length. In either scenario if I get water in goggles I panic as I'm wearing contacts and can't see a thing without them! So no, no triathlon any time soon.
    I would chance a duathlon sometime.... if I thought there were big enough numbers so I wouldn't be on my own at the tail end of the race. Am half considering Achill roar (sports) which has kayak rather than swim and short bike/ run sections. By the time I get back I'll only have 3 weeks to get used to run/ bike so we'll see.....

• Advertisement

11 mile lsr:)

I've never done an lsr in the evening before. I left the house with a loose plan in mind which involved running from Gort nagCapall to Kilronan and back but without deciding whether to go out and back or loop back along the coast. I did know I would have to decide at about 7 miles whether to turn left for 1 more mile back to the house or right to make it a bit longer. I would leave that decision til I got there. Just over half a mile from the house I turned onto the main road which started me off on a long uphill drag which would last about a mile and a half. Some bits steeper than others with little bits of flat respite here and there, followed by a bit of a plateau then a lovely long downhill to Kilronan which would bring me to 4 miles. Tempted though I was to belt it down the hill I held back as I still had a lot of miles to cover. (10.55/ 10.54/ 10.28/ 10.03). I turned for the Bothar Ó Thuaidh to run back along the coast.
    Miles 4- 6 were pretty much gentle downhill and I felt fan-tastic:D, conditions were just perfect, a gentle breeze and looking out over a calm sea over to Connemara... just lovely. (10.16/ 10.17). Mile 7 started to get a bit harder as I turned a corner and the breeze became a bit stronger (against me) (10.19). The next mile saw some more uphill again and I started to feel more effort needed. Just short of 7.5 I need to decide whether to turn left for home or right for longer. I turned right ;)...a bit more uphill saw mile 8 at 10.23 and a little further along after a tougher uphill section I stopped for a few seconds to think about what direction to take next, how far to go etc. I'll admit it was starting to feel harder now.:o Back down to the beach hitting 9 miles (10.20) along the way, turned right towards Dun Aonghus, turned at the shops and back to the beach and one loop of the beach road bit brought me to 10 miles (10.22) and a stop at the beach changing rooms/ toilet building. I stopped (gasping for water....had none with me) though the building was locked there was thankfully a water fountain outside. With hindsight I probably should have let it flow a while and not drank the first burst of water from it:o but I really was gasping... 10 miles without water wasn't the brightest idea! Feeling better after a couple of minutes so decided to continue with a slower last mile home. More uphill but took it easier, last mile in 10.37.
    Overall 11 miles @ 10.27 average pace , a tad fast for long runs for me but I pretty much ran by feel rather than deciding on a pace, and I felt great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

not a chance :D My sea swimming is mainly floating and pool swimming involves staying at the side "just in case". I doubt if I could swim a full length. In either scenario if I get water in goggles I panic as I'm wearing contacts and can't see a thing without them! So no, no triathlon any time soon.
    I would chance a duathlon sometime.... if I thought there were big enough numbers so I wouldn't be on my own at the tail end of the race. Am half considering Achill roar (sports) which has kayak rather than swim and short bike/ run sections. By the time I get back I'll only have 3 weeks to get used to run/ bike so we'll see.....

Snap I'm exactly the same :). Refuse to go swimming without my contacts coz I can't see but then can't swim with my head under water coz I have the contacts in...catch 22 really!! I would like to try a duathlon. Good luck with Achill roar if you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

11 mile lsr:)

I've never done an lsr in the evening before. I left the house with a loose plan in mind which involved running from Gort nagCapall to Kilronan and back but without deciding whether to go out and back or loop back along the coast. I did know I would have to decide at about 7 miles whether to turn left for 1 more mile back to the house or right to make it a bit longer. I would leave that decision til I got there. Just over half a mile from the house I turned onto the main road which started me off on a long uphill drag which would last about a mile and a half. Some bits steeper than others with little bits of flat respite here and there, followed by a bit of a plateau then a lovely long downhill to Kilronan which would bring me to 4 miles. Tempted though I was to belt it down the hill I held back as I still had a lot of miles to cover. (10.55/ 10.54/ 10.28/ 10.03). I turned for the Bothar Ó Thuaidh to run back along the coast.
    Miles 4- 6 were pretty much gentle downhill and I felt fan-tastic:D, conditions were just perfect, a gentle breeze and looking out over a calm sea over to Connemara... just lovely. (10.16/ 10.17). Mile 7 started to get a bit harder as I turned a corner and the breeze became a bit stronger (against me) (10.19). The next mile saw some more uphill again and I started to feel more effort needed. Just short of 7.5 I need to decide whether to turn left for home or right for longer. I turned right ;)...a bit more uphill saw mile 8 at 10.23 and a little further along after a tougher uphill section I stopped for a few seconds to think about what direction to take next, how far to go etc. I'll admit it was starting to feel harder now.:o Back down to the beach hitting 9 miles (10.20) along the way, turned right towards Dun Aonghus, turned at the shops and back to the beach and one loop of the beach road bit brought me to 10 miles (10.22) and a stop at the beach changing rooms/ toilet building. I stopped (gasping for water....had none with me) though the building was locked there was thankfully a water fountain outside. With hindsight I probably should have let it flow a while and not drank the first burst of water from it:o but I really was gasping... 10 miles without water wasn't the brightest idea! Feeling better after a couple of minutes so decided to continue with a slower last mile home. More uphill but took it easier, last mile in 10.37.
    Overall 11 miles @ 10.27 average pace , a tad fast for long runs for me but I pretty much ran by feel rather than deciding on a pace, and I felt great :D

Great running, littlebug. Tough route! (I guess the only flat part of Inis Mór is the landing strip!)

ronanmac wrote: »
    Great running, littlebug. Tough route! (I guess the only flat part of Inis Mór is the landing strip!)

Very true! There is no escaping the hills at all out there. There's a half marathon on the island in April every year which I think could be a great alternative to Connemara (though tough in it's own right). It doesn't seem to be very well publicised though.

Back on home turf again. Fit4life night. Took it easy with 3 miles @9.35 average. nothing more to report :).

the great thing about not having a plan is being able to take a break now and again :) One week off from running :eek: it was a busy week for various reasons but truth be told I was just feeling really tired and achy and took it as a sign to give the old bones a bit of a rest. Whether it's as a result of last weeks 11 miler or not I don't know but it probably was a factor.
    Anyhow it's helped in decision making....and Longford half is out. I know I can do 13 miles but the important thing is being able to maintain regular running and it seems that the long runs, though I enjoy them at the time, have a longer term impact. Longford is also the day before kids go back to school so might have been awkward anyway. There is a 10k in Breaffy the same day which might work better for me. It doesn't mean I'll never do a HM again but just not now... maybe if I can do regularish 8- 9 miles so my body gets used to longish runs then the 10 m + runs mightn't wreck me so much. Hey maybe I'll even go back to Connemara next year :p
    Still undecided on Achill as the bike hasn't come out of the shed since :o

I might just update with some actual running this evening:pac:

• Advertisement

Eased into it with a very gentle trot around Knockma with the mutt. No watch. Lovely evening.. lots of people out.

.. and having recieved my new work schedule it seems Achill Roar is now out of the equation too. Not only that but I'll be working a lot of Saturdays so that makes getting to any races difficult after this month. I'm officially targetless:(....I thought I was doing well there for a while so I really don't want to let it slide.
    I'll have to consider the options. One might be to keep it short for now and aim for a good 10k pb in Athenry at Christmas. What are the chances of FoA actually happening this year?

Fit4life night. 4 miles in total. Managed not to start the garmin for the first loop (mile) but it felt like about 9 min mile and given that the next two were 8.57 and 9.01 I would take the first as having been similar. Nearly headed for home then but a few others were doing a fourth slower mile so I joined for another lap (9.48).

have had a niggly achilles for a few days now. Though I didn't notice it at the last run on Thursday it's been more obvious since then so no running. Was going to go out this evening but given that a tesco shopping trip led to it being quite ( I won't say very) sore I think I'll give it a miss:( I haven't been icing or anything so starting all that now and will give it a few more days rest and see how it goes. Being sensible with it now is the name of the game. I don't want achilles injury like hot2trots :eek:

Meanwhile I'm consoling myself with food, lots and lots of food.

how things change very quickly, A few short weeks ago I was considering the Longford half and Achill roar. :(

Hopefully the rest will sort it out, Littlebug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mind yourself LB and rest up.

That's crap LB, hope it clears up soon

thanks guys:) A few days rest seems to have done the trick. By tomorrow it'll be a full week with no run so I'll go to the club anyway and see how it goes. First sign of pain I'll stop. Hopefully by taking that break I'll have avoided anything more serious.

4 miles. No watch but took it easy. Achilles was niggly... not sore just niggly.
    I don't feel it's enough to stop me running altogether just now but I'll just take it day by day and keep icing and stretching.

4 miles with a friend @ 9.27 average. Felt it tough enough and might have walked some of the hills had I been alone. Company = good :). Probably should have eaten first though.
    Didn't feel the achilles at all through the run :)

• Advertisement

Great to hear that the achilles niggle has gone away.

fit4life night.
    3 miles @ 9.30ish pace. Could feel achilles but not enough to stop. Got home feeling cold but knowing I'd have to walk the dog since Mr lb has put his back out. Decided to walk before shower..... got out felt cold... only one remedy for that :D Two more miles @ 10.40, slow but enough to keep me warm and keep the mutt happy :)

achilles felt sore today. Did a bit of reading about it and saw that a heel raise in shoe can help. That reminded me of something.... when I got my orthotics last year I also got a heel raise (well two of different thicknesses) which I was supposed to wean myself onto and graduate into the thicker one. I never bothered as everything was fine with the orthotics.
    So I found them and headed out with mutt, not really a planned run but a "see how it goes" walk/ run, very very easy 3 miles.

Felt much better with heel raise. I'll keep up the icing etc and hope for the best. So now I have orthotics and heel raise. Just don't tell Robroy :eek:

a Just don't tell Robroy :eek:

:D just read those "debates" on the various orthotics threads. Hope the heel raises do the trick but if not don't forget ice baths, stretching or barefoot running :pac:

shazkea wrote: »
    :D just read those "debates" on the various orthotics threads. Hope the heel raises do the trick but if not don't forget ice baths, stretching or barefoot running :pac:

:D I did try running on grass tonight but couldn't persuade myself to take my shoes off:D

4 squelchy squelchy miles in the rain. I ran on the grass at the start ... feet soaked withing seconds.... didn't feel right at all so I moved back onto the tarmac.
    9.17/9.20/9.34... garmin was playing up in the rain and beeping constantly so I just turned it off for the last lap so no time but it felt like a 9.30-something.
    Shoulda done another one to take me over 400.

bleugh...:(
    more than a few days off due to achilles, it's no worse but no better either despite no running :rolleyes: Starting to feel like crap due to lack of movement. so I did a really easy loop of Knockma today ie walked steep bits, ran flat and down. Proper run tomorrow again and see how it goes.

On a more positive note :) I went in to see the Ironman 70.3 on Sunday... fan-tas-tic to watch :D Being on the easy side of the chute to the finish line and part of the atmosphere nearly made me want to do another mara.... ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Being on the easy side of the chute to the finish line and part of the atmosphere nearly made me want to do another mara.... ;).

well your log title does say back to Connemara :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BrokenMan wrote: »

She knows she wants to. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

bleugh...:(
    more than a few days off due to achilles, it's no worse but no better either despite no running

Time to investigate that niggle, young lady. The longer these things are left the longer it takes to get back.

I'm still suffering from the niggle I ignored that went nuclear during DCM last year.

• Advertisement

BrokenMan wrote: »

That had crossed my mind...:o
    She knows she wants to. :D

of course I do:D but being able to is a whole other matter :(
    Time to investigate that niggle, young lady. The longer these things are left the longer it takes to get back.

only two words in that sentence that I'm recognising :D.. But... yeah it's on the list of things to do but gotta wait til payday. Choosing which profession and who to see is the decision to make..

Advertisement