Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

littlebug wrote: »
    Choosing which profession and who to see is the decision to make..

I can recommend an excellent physio if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I can recommend an excellent physio if you want.

That'd be great BrokenMan :)

Physio later today. Aside from the achilles I've been on enforced rest all week due to cold/ flu type thing. A one mile walk with the dog yesterday left me completely knackered:eek: so I think it'll be another few days before I'm ready to attempt a run.

More importantly:D... have a wedding next weekend and tried on the dress I plan to wear this morning. I was concerned about the potential impact of my recent inactivity . Pleased to report the dress is actually looser than last time I wore it which doesn't make sense but hey I won't complain:p

Verdict in... the problem isn't the achilles per se but chronic tightness all the way down the back of my leg, mainly concentrated at the back of my knee. I had felt some knee pain but hadn't connected the two things:rolleyes:. Its actually the source of last years injury coming back to haunt me. It's not a major injury and I "could" keep running on it but she would prefer for me to concentrate on getting this sorted and loosened up before starting again. Swim/ cycle should be ok (should I feel the inclination) so probably on the bench for another couple of weeks anyway. I can live with that..... the bigger picture is more important.

Today I also managed to flood the bathroom and thus kitchen through the light fittings and now have a lovely bathroom shaped water stain on the kitchen ceiling. I also nicely splashed myself with petrol while filling the car. Shoulda stayed in bed:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Swim/ cycle should be ok

Your body is telling you to sign up for that first triathlon!

Swimming lessons will be starting soon in Kingfisher Tuam

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Your body is telling you to sign up for that first triathlon!

I really can't see that happening!
    Swimming lessons will be starting soon in Kingfisher Tuam

but I was considering this :) but as far as I can see they've started? Or are you talking about the Masters swim thing?

I wouldn't do the Masters or you will have pgiibbo and the like swimming over you. I know they do swimming lessons or they used to on tuesday and thursdays, ring up and see, I would think they will let you in to a lane no problem. If they have started it is only in the last week or so

I wouldn't do the Masters or you will have pgiibbo and the like swimming over you. I know they do swimming lessons or they used to on tuesday and thursdays, ring up and see, I would think they will let you in to a lane no problem. If they have started it is only in the last week or so

I was thinking that about the Masters... way out of my league:D. Times on Tues/ thurs look good for me. I don't see a date on the website for the adult classes so was assuming they'd started. I'll give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Glad to hear it's not a major injury littlebug.
    I also nicely splashed myself with petrol while filling the car.

This also happened to me a couple of months ago on my way to work so I couldn't go home and change - I spent the day in fear of smokers :D

went along to the pool to see if I could blag my way into the class but no go :( i'll have to wait til the next lot starts at the end of October. Meanwhile I just went in and did my own thing. There were a few people in the lanes and given that I didn't even know if I could swim a length I stayed out of their way:o Anyhow.. swam a length with reasonable ease. Stopped between each one and went again. After the 4th I was confined to one half as the lessons had started... so it was swim half a length and turn and go back. Managed equivalent of 2 lengths without stop then. Took the last 2 very easy. Mind you it was all easy... I'm horribly slow. I dont have poor technique I have no technique. I attempted keeping my head underwater but did it very badly... can't get the breathing at all.
    Still.. small steps...

10 lengths (or equivalent).

• Advertisement

another torture physio session and I'm almost good to go again. I'm to ease into it e.g. walk a mile before running, see how it goes etc. So over the weekend I'll do just that, ease myself back into it over the next two weeks and then think about specific goals.

Great news littlebug :)

kept to treadmill for my first run.
    As per physio instructions 1 mile walk (13 min) followed by stretches, then 2 miles very slow @11 min and .5 mile warm down walk.

Found the first mile of the run hard, even at 11 min pace :eek::o but settled into it and the second one was easier. Lots of stretches after and lots of heat to calf and achilles now. Feels ok.

some extra wobble acquired over the past few weeks that needs to get lost :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

some extra wobble acquired over the past few weeks that needs to get lost :o
    Likewise :(

Likewise :(

Where's that weight loss thread? :o

:mad:
    My legs feel good, great in fact and I should have been running again today but I feckin woke up with my left shoulder and side of neck all frozen up and it got worse as the day progressed. This is a recurrent thing and should be ok in a few days but for today the smallest little head movement can bring tears to my eyes :( so ... grrrrrr:mad:

I also got my PFO for the London Marathon. I really need to start moving again... i've been daydreaming about doing another marathon and was looking at the Connemarathon website. I see it's on April 1st. That should just about suit me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I also got my PFO for the London Marathon. I really need to start moving again... i've been daydreaming about doing another marathon and was looking at the Connemarathon website. I see it's on April 1st. That should just about suit me :pac:

It's a really nice marathon;I ran it last year for the first time, after a few years of doing the half - the full distance was a lot more enjoyable.

The sheep don't clap much, mind - the support's not the mae west. But the running's lovely.

I really need to start moving again... i've been daydreaming about doing another marathon and was looking at the Connemarathon website. I see it's on April 1st. That should just about suit me :pac:

Although maybe I had my head down shagged for the 2nd half of this marathon - but I thought the scenery for the first 13 miles was far nicer than for the 2nd half. Its a small enough crew doing this perhaps about 400/500 on the day but it had the sense of setting out on a real adventure that day. I enjoyed it - up until mile 20 anyways. Plenty of friendly people and the quality of entrant varied greatly.

I might well have the name down for it myself all going well

brownian wrote: »
    It's a really nice marathon;I ran it last year for the first time, after a few years of doing the half - the full distance was a lot more enjoyable.

The sheep don't clap much, mind - the support's not the mae west. But the running's lovely.

Did the half last year myself and enjoyed it (sort of:D) so I'm familiar with the second half (and more to the point the hills:rolleyes:) anyway. I would intend throwing in the occasional training run on the HOTW so it's not a complete shock to the system on the day.... though after 22 miles I might feel differently! I've also got a log title to live up to !

Although maybe I had my head down shagged for the 2nd half of this marathon - but I thought the scenery for the first 13 miles was far nicer than for the 2nd half. Its a small enough crew doing this perhaps about 400/500 on the day but it had the sense of setting out on a real adventure that day. I enjoyed it - up until mile 20 anyways. Plenty of friendly people and the quality of entrant varied greatly.

I might well have the name down for it myself all going well

If I do go for this I wouldn't put any time pressure on myself.... other than maybe to beat my wonderful pb of 5:03 :D:o so it would be all about soaking up the surroundings and scenery. I see there are even walkers for the full so I wouldn't be last anyway!

Getting close to D day CW? (and I don't mean DCM!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I've been daydreaming about doing another marathon and was looking at the Connemarathon website.

Are ye mad or wha? :eek::eek: Include me out of this madness....

• Advertisement

Are ye mad or wha? :eek::eek:

quite possibly :o

Getting close to D day CW? (and I don't mean DCM!)

11 weeks and counting I have been told this morning :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

If I do go for this I wouldn't put any time pressure on myself.... other than maybe to beat my wonderful pb of 5:03 :D:o so it would be all about soaking up the surroundings and scenery. I see there are even walkers for the full so I wouldn't be last anyway!

Don't slag that PB off there missus - beats my lovely DNS hands down. Hopefully going to do the half there myself next year.

Hope the neck/shoulder clears up soon and you're back out again

shazkea wrote: »

Hope the neck/shoulder clears up soon and you're back out again

:( well I decided the neck needed intervention and knowing I wouldn't get an appt with the physio i'd been seeing about the achilles I called a different one and had an appt within a couple of hours. Good to get work on neck... still sore but improving all the time.
    BUT... . i decided to get her opinion on the achilles while I was there and whaddya know her assessment was completely different to that of the other physio :confused::( anyway... hopefully i'll be back in action (again:rolleyes:) next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

:( well I decided the neck needed intervention and knowing I wouldn't get an appt with the physio i'd been seeing about the achilles I called a different one and had an appt within a couple of hours. Good to get work on neck... still sore but improving all the time.
    BUT... . i decided to get her opinion on the achilles while I was there and whaddya know her assessment was completely different to that of the other physio :confused::( anyway... hopefully i'll be back in action (again:rolleyes:) next week.

It can be very confusing alright with all the different opinions floating about, its hard to know what to do sometimes, if ya went to a third one they would say something totally different :rolleyes: Hope the neck improves. Oh a +1 on what shaz said about your marathon PB.... i will be lucky to get that, so be proud of it ;)

Looking at the posts above I can't believe I'm thinking about another marathon when I can't even feckin' run at the minute. :mad:

I'll be back to couch to 5k at this rate. Continued but slow improvement with achilles. Even is achilles was ok I still have neck issues which would make it hard to run anyway though that is improving too.
    I just haven't been able to bring myself to go swimming as I just don't enjoy it. Can't cycle properly with neck problem.
    I have an exercise bike in the kitchen and no excuses not to go on it... it just sits there making me feel guilty. Someone give me a good kick please.....

Hop on the bike while watching some half-hour tv programme this evening and then book yourself a full-body massage in the next few days as a reward. The bike session will ease your guilt and the massage will ease your neck ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well littlebug how are you doing now? Any improvement with the achilles? Hope you got motivated and hopped on that bike:)

Bally8 wrote: »
    Well littlebug how are you doing now? Any improvement with the achilles?

:( Very slight improvement but I'm told it'll be a slow process and not to expect anything else. similarly slow progress with neck but progress is progress!

Hope you got motivated and hopped on that bike:)

Oops..:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Oops..:o:o

Tut Tut:D

Only joking. Sometimes it's best to take some time out and recover before slowly getting back into it.

Advertisement