Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a question about pressure

Options
  • 01-01-2011 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I understood high pressure meant good weather but my friend says this is only so in summer and in winter high = bad weather. Can someone confirm please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

WildOscar wrote: »
    I understood high pressure meant good weather but my friend says this is only so in summer and in winter high = bad weather. Can someone confirm please

High pressure over us in winter generally does mean good weather. Although it can bring a lot of pesky low cloud such as the last couple of days although it is settled with little wind and mostly if not totally dry.

Temperatures are usually just below average and if low cloud is not a problem then sharp frost at night are usually a problem. If the high pressure is situated to out south over france it can bring very mild settled weather where frost is not a problem, this is called a Bartlett High

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

All you need to know :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/understanding/highpressure.shtml

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

thanks;)
    read that but my weather station manual say high = good. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    High pressure over us in winter generally does mean good weather. Although it can bring a lot of pesky low cloud such as the last couple of days although it is settled with little wind and mostly if not totally dry.

Temperatures are usually just below average and if low cloud is not a problem then sharp frost at night are usually a problem. If the high pressure is situated to out south over france it can bring very mild settled weather where frost is not a problem, this is called a Bartlett High
    so i am right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

so i am right?
    Well a high pressure definitely wont mean winds and rain if thats what you mean by bad weather.

Some bad frosts are possible more often than not or else annoying low cloud in the minorty of cases.

Advertisement