Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

partitioning a hard drive without loss of data

• 01-01-2011 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I have a laptop with a C drive with windows and programs and a D with a recovery. i want to delete the recovery as i have recovery disks . Then I want to partition windows on one partition and the programs/data on another but without formatting. i know this can be done but would like to hear of experiences. i saw hard disk manager 2010 by paragon free on a mag and i have hdm 8.5 SE myself.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

If I'm ever partitioning a drive I use the programme Acronis disk director website here

No problem moving things round and I never had loss of data, not sure of other programs I've been uisng Acronis for years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    If I'm ever partitioning a drive I use the programme Acronis disk director website here

No problem moving things round and I never had loss of data, not sure of other programs I've been uisng Acronis for years
    is it a gui environment when moving them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Indian IT

Use pargon wipe 10 and choose delete or merge drives or active plus.for safe run make a image of ur harddrive by pargon wipe.

WildOscar wrote: »
    is it a gui environment when moving them

Yes, icons and flags and all those user friendly things:)

4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Used a unix boot CD thing in the past, called "GPART", which had a nice GUI.

• Advertisement

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Yes, icons and flags and all those user friendly things:)

4.jpg
    looks good is it xpensive? can one get trial?oh see some features dsabled in trial

the_syco wrote: »
    Used a unix boot CD thing in the past, called "GPART", which had a nice GUI.
    did you runfrom a cd or can you have it on the hard disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WildOscar wrote: »
    did you runfrom a cd or can you have it on the hard disk?
    I ran it from outside Windows, from the CD (boot from CD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Thanks alL. Is it safe to delete the recovery partition? It is on C but I do not see it when I look at disk in explorer. See in manage disk as basic disk.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 you_me1314

First of all, take care of delete recovery partition. I suggest you use partition assistant for the further operation like partition hard drive or some other partition problems you will meet later on. This tool has free edition, you will find the powerful features as you wish on this free partition manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Gparted is free. It's extremely robust.

Just download the .iso, burn to cd and boot off your CD/DVD drive.

Advertisement