Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stunning stocks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

They look top quality :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

ormondprop wrote: »
    http://www.garycanegunstocks.com/
    just stumbled across this and said i'd share it with ye

Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

All I can say is :

HOMER.jpg

and the prices????

mancrying.jpg

Fish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

Amazing looking stocks :D I'm working on a walnut stock for my .17hmr, cheek is just too low for me, at the moment I have a bit of hardwood screwed on top of the synthetic stock to raise it :rolleyes:

Couldnt find any prices on the website but I guess they aint cheap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

homemov2.jpg

Enda walsh can do he same and better ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

if its a synthetic stock you have you should put one of these on it
    http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

homemov2.jpg

Enda walsh can do he same and better ;)

where is he situated, is that one of yours

tfox wrote: »
    Amazing looking stocks :D I'm working on a walnut stock for my .17hmr, cheek is just too low for me, at the moment I have a bit of hardwood screwed on top of the synthetic stock to raise it :rolleyes:

Couldnt find any prices on the website but I guess they aint cheap :)

Talk to Enda Walsh in Dungarvan Waterford
    E-mail: info@gunstocksireland.com
    Mobile: 087 - 661 - 1993

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=7599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I think I've developed feelings for that last stock :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Talk to Enda Walsh in Dungarvan Waterford
    E-mail: info@gunstocksireland.com
    Mobile: 087 - 661 - 1993

19 years in a small town and never heard of him:confused:

what prices would you be talking about ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The reason i bought from Enda was he was cheaper than importing a stock, he could tailor the stock to my needs (so i didn't have to adjust myself to suit a pre made stock) and if i wanted something changed or altered he could do it within a couple of days. So no sending the stock back out abroad if its wrong, faulty, etc.

As i've said before i will buy Irish where it suits, is cheaper, is better and i got all the above.

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=8318

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=8317
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

19 years in a small town and never heard of him

I was thinking the same when I saw his website!

I've only been in Dungarvan 39 years though :D

So was on the phone today with Enda looking to get some work done on my FTR rig. I playing with the idea of either altering my current stock or getting a new one done. I'm over weight with one of my barrels, and wanted to reduce weight or go for a new stock. I've seen Edi's stocks, and they are great, but i'm a fan of timber so thought Enda might be able to help me out.

When i asked him about grip style, stock design he said "whatever you want". he then sent me a few pics of two new designs he has done. the first is a little hard to seen becaus eof the green against green, but if you blow up the picture the details is unbelievable. The second, black one, caught my eye. It has a new design for the grip. You have a thumbhole, but for those that prefer to shoot with the thumb behind the bolt like a palm swell he has developed a neat little "hollow" for the humb to rest in which prevents "twisting" the rifle while gripping the stock.

Have a look yourself.

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=10960

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=10961

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=10962

As you can see its a single grip with dual purpose/suitability. As a person thats not overly fond of palm swell type grips this would suit.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

When you say alter the stock that you have, what exactly could be done?

That green stock is amazing!!

Trim the fat, so to speak.

When i got the stock built i had 5+ pound weight to spare so i pushed the stock to that limit by indulging in looks, wide forend, etc because i could. Now i want to go back to a heavier bull barrel, and she is 1.35 pound heavier and pushes me over the limit.

I could "unround" the side of the forend. Make it a beaver tail style stock. Hollow out the foreend, and possibly the butt stock. Worst case scenario shorten the forend for by an inch or so. Should easily remove up to 1.5 pound. However thats my uneducated guess. Enda will know better than i.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Dont know the guy but my god he is obviously a gifted craftsman, tha green laminate is a cool looking colour and an absolutely amazing stock

I think it would be awful to trim the stock! After seeing what it looks like now and to change would be awful I think.

But on the other hand is there any need to get another stock done?

His work looks class.
    Hoping to have a look at them in the flesh when i can finally call into him for ammo. (which is also very well priced)

dev110 wrote: »
    I think it would be awful to trim the stock! After seeing what it looks like now and to change would be awful I think.

I'm not keen on doing that, but will if it comes to it.
    But on the other hand is there any need to get another stock done?

Well if i trim my current stock, and go back to one of the lighter barrels later i will be under weight so it might be an idea to have a second stock. A light stock and heavy barrel combo, then a heavy stock, and light barrel combo.
    garv123 wrote: »
    ............. when i can finally call into him for ammo. (which is also very well priced)

I've only heard about that. Good stuff. Let us know what he stocks, and some prices. :cool:

• Advertisement

Ezridax wrote: »
    I'm not keen on doing that, but will if it comes to it.
    Well if i trim my current stock, and go back to one of the lighter barrels later i will be under weight so it might be an idea to have a second stock. A light stock and heavy barrel combo, then a heavy stock, and light barrel combo.

Is your heavier barrel 32"?

If you can, I think you should go for a new stock.

I've only heard about that. Good stuff. Let us know what he stocks, and some prices. :cool:

He's only starting off and trying too see what lads around are looking for. Im sure if you give him a ring again in advance before heading down he'll order what you're looking for.
    As i said on JohnGalways thead .17 hornady v-max are 15 euro. 2-3euro cheaper than anywhere else.

For one the lads he ordered .243 100gr federals for 29 11euro a box cheaper than what he was paying for them all along. big difference between €1.50 a shot and €2.00

dev110 wrote: »
    Is your heavier barrel 32"?

Yes. 32", bull barrel. Same diameter from receiver to muzzle.:eek:

I could cut 2" off, as it would't make a huge differenc in performance, its a 1:10, so that could save a few grams.
    If you can, I think you should go for a new stock.

Thinking about it. Hence all the calls, etc. Decisions, decisions. Which child to sell to finance this.............................. :D
    garv123 wrote: »
    He's only starting off and trying too see what lads around are looking for.

Makes sense. no point spreading himself too thin to early. End up with a lot of money tied up in ammo.

Yes. 32", bull barrel. Same diameter from receiver to muzzle.:eek:

I could cut 2" off, as it would't make a huge differenc in performance, its a 1:10, so that could save a few grams.

Thinking about it. Hence all the calls, etc. Decisions, decisions. Which child to sell to finance this.............................. :D

How much weight would you save by cutting off an inch or two off the barrel?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I priced a nice sporting rifle stock off Enda a while back and have to say, while it sounds pricey, I've seen what goes into making a stock before and it's more than worth the money. If you're prepared to do your own glass and pillar bedding it works out very nicely. I might treat myself to one down the line now. :)

At a guess?

The barrel is approx 7.5 pound. Its 32" long, and as a bull barrel pretty much evenly spread in weight terms. So thats 3.4 kg. Thats 3400 grams giving 106.25 grams per inch so i'd gain back 212.5 grams or .47 of a pound. So basically just shy of half a pound.

Thats means i'd only have to gain back a pound or so from the stock which wouldn't require a huge alteration.
    ............while it sounds pricey, I've seen what goes into making a stock before

Take the making aside for a minute. I looked into getting a Robertson stock from the states before. With tax, shipping, and the extras that i wanted (and got on my current stock) it worked out at €972 all in. I got the chance to try one a few months after i got mine of Enda and all i can say is i dodged an expensive bullet. The stock was great, but the grip was all wrong, too wide, and they only done a palm swell which i find uncomfortable.

When you consider that he measures your hand sizze, length of pull, takes a cast of your hand, etc then its not hard to see where the money goes. Not to mention the actual carving of the stock itself.

At a guess?

The barrel is approx 7.5 pound. Its 32" long, and as a bull barrel pretty much evenly spread in weight terms. So thats 3.4 kg. Thats 3400 grams giving 106.25 grams per inch so i'd gain back 212.5 grams or .47 of a pound. So basically just shy of half a pound.

Thats means i'd only have to gain back a pound or so from the stock which wouldn't require a huge alteration.

I think a new stock is on the cards ;)

Let us know your decision.

I think so too so if you see a virtual hat being passed around be nice. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Take the making aside for a minute. I looked into getting a Robertson stock from the states before. With tax, shipping, and the extras that i wanted (and got on my current stock) it worked out at €972 all in. I got the chance to try one a few months after i got mine of Enda and all i can say is i dodged an expensive bullet. The stock was great, but the grip was all wrong, too wide, and they only done a palm swell which i find uncomfortable.

When you consider that he measures your hand sizze, length of pull, takes a cast of your hand, etc then its not hard to see where the money goes. Not to mention the actual carving of the stock itself.

No argument here! I love that you can get stuff like that done locally. Whatever about nice commercially made stocks, having someone who can measure you up, get the drop and cast measurements perfect, width and profile of fore-end perfect, add in things like recoil pads and crossbolts to spec, comb profile and all, so that you get a rifle that feels exactly like you think it should and points like a good shotgun, that's priceless. No doubting the craft there.

• Advertisement

So i asked Enda what he had in mind for a stock for my Savage. Timber, laminate, with a bit more accessories than my last, but nothing OTT. I got this sent to me tonight. Its a Savage FTR, and it looks damn good.

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=11191

Advertisement