Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have my goldfish laid eggs?

• 01-01-2011 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I got 2 goldfish in the past 2/3 months and just today when I was clearing out their tank, I found something really strange that's never occured before...

There are always some particles in the tank (poop, uneaten food maybe etc) but there was a huge amount of translucent/white material that seems quite spawny for lack of a better way to describe it.

One of the fish is a comet and the other a shubunkin. I wasn't aware of whether they were male or female on buying but did just assume our comet was female and shubunkin male and named them accordingly.

Oddly OH and I were only saying the other day how round the "female" was looking, thinking she was growing not actually preparing to spawn... Is it possible this is what might have happened? Someone told me shop fish couldn't lay eggs but after internet research, it does sound like they might be eggs. I've put them into a seperate tank now anyway just in case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

ive the same or similar thing in my tank its like white threads i was told its a parasite in their poop or can be caused by overfeeding, there is a chemical to put into the tank to correct it but i was told not to use it unless the fish seem sick, and they dont so i left them be.

Advertisement