Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Pay Out

Options
  • 01-01-2011 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, my mams house got flooded in the last few days and the ground floor got destroyed and there is now alot of water in the sub floor, which is beneth the floor boards and if this water seeps into the walls more damage will be done.
    The Insurance Assessor wont be coming till at least the end of this week, I am just wondering will I still get my compensation if I pump out the water, and take pictures? I have already taken up the carpets.

Please offer your advice on wether to wait, or battle on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

You are entitled, even obliged, to take any reasonable action to minimise the damage and prevent further losses. Do not, however, proceed with any extensive permanent repairs. As was said earlier, take as many pictures as you can and do not throw away any damaged property

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Do take photos or video footage of the damage and try to protect your property from further damage, ie minimising damage. If necessary engage the services of a contractor if necessary. Take photos of stains and even mark the wall with a pencil to show where water rose to, so as you can show full extent of the damage.
    Also keep a record of dates & times of when everything happened and keep original receipts of any expenditure relating to the damaged property. Don't make repairs but do minimise damage which is your original question. Most home policies will have that as one of the T&C's.
    Which company is she insured with? Do they have an emergency line? Is it an assessor or a loss adjuster that is coming out - a loss adjuster is usually sent by the insurance company to check if and what is covered. They are there to represent the insurance company, not you and also to try and reduce the cost of the repair and replacement. The assessor appointed by yourselves represents you.
    Assessors and adjusters are very busy at the moment but are getting out to claimants very promptly. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

broker2008 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Do take photos or video footage of the damage and try to protect your property from further damage, ie minimising damage. If necessary engage the services of a contractor if necessary. Take photos of stains and even mark the wall with a pencil to show where water rose to, so as you can show full extent of the damage.
    Also keep a record of dates & times of when everything happened and keep original receipts of any expenditure relating to the damaged property. Don't make repairs but do minimise damage which is your original question. Most home policies will have that as one of the T&C's.
    Which company is she insured with? Do they have an emergency line? Is it an assessor or a loss adjuster that is coming out - a loss adjuster is usually sent by the insurance company to check if and what is covered. They are there to represent the insurance company, not you and also to try and reduce the cost of the repair and replacement. The assessor appointed by yourselves represents you.
    Assessors and adjusters are very busy at the moment but are getting out to claimants very promptly. Good luck.

I was going to post a response but the above covers everything very well. Lots of photos / video. All receipts. Insurance companies prefer honest, straightforward, claimants with plenty of supporting info to back up their claim.

Advertisement