Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabobank euro question

Options
  • 01-01-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I know this has been brought up before however I want to get a clear answer.

My parents are looking at putting a chunk of their savings out of Irish banks - the reason is not because they are afraid of the failure of these banks, rather it is the risk of the euro currency collapsing - in which case any Irish bank holdings will be revalued in Irish punts.

So, my question is: In the event of this happening, would savings in Rabobank be revalued in Irish Punts or Deutsche mark?

Also, what are the other options for hedging against the collapse of the Euro currency excluding buying commodities such as Gold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Guys,

I know this has been brought up before however I want to get a clear answer.

My parents are looking at putting a chunk of their savings out of Irish banks - the reason is not because they are afraid of the failure of these banks, rather it is the risk of the euro currency collapsing - in which case any Irish bank holdings will be revalued in Irish punts.

So, my question is: In the event of this happening, would savings in Rabobank be revalued in Irish Punts or Deutsche mark?

Also, what are the other options for hedging against the collapse of the Euro currency excluding buying commodities such as Gold?

Well, since Rabo is Dutch, Netherlands Guilders maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well, since Rabo is Dutch, Netherlands Guilders maybe.

If its operating here under an Irish Banking Licence (which it is), more likely to be any new Punt, in the hugely unlikely event of this ever being allowed to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Rabo are subject to the laws of Ireland. EUR in a Rabo account would be converted into An Punt Nua.

You could always open a GBP account with Nationwide UK on the Isle of Nan, or a GBP account with Ulster Bank in Northern Ireland or a EUR account in Belgium via Keytrade.

Advertisement