Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other cities besides NY and LA

Options
  • 01-01-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

It just seems that most people who wish to emigrate to the US seem to state NY and LA as their preference. There isn't anything wrong with that, but I wonder if people are just caught up in a commercial image of these places and don't realize that there many, many other cities that offer the big city feel and employment opportunities.

Austin, TX is the live music capital of the US. Seattle is a haven for those in the tech field. DC is the heart of the non-profit sector.

So, what is it about NY and LA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Media.

People (not just Irish) always seem to come here and miss the real America.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

That's true.

Someone on another thread commented that Americans lack a unique culture and I couldn't help but wonder what parts of America had they exposed themselves to. If you go to NY or LA, and those are only your experiences, of course it will only look like the tapestry of multiple foreign cultures. But head out to places like Savannah or Kansas City and you'll see a different part of America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

That's true.

Someone on another thread commented that Americans lack a unique culture and I couldn't help but wonder what parts of America had they exposed themselves to. If you go to NY or LA, and those are only your experiences, of course it will only look like the tapestry of multiple foreign cultures. But head out to places like Savannah or Kansas City and you'll see a different part of America.

I completely agree.

Culture is so hard to define. When I was a 'new' immigrant, I used to think that America lacked culture. It takes time. And time alone does not make culture.

Advertisement