Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2010 - Shock of the Year

Options
  • 01-01-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

There were quite a few shocks this year from the sad passing of Dio and Pete Steel to Judas Priest announcing a farewell tour but the runaway winner was Mike Portnoy's departure from Dream Theater.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Thought this was a huge shock considering how long he's been in the band.

As much as a wasn't a huge Portnoy fan it's kinda sad to think he's gone after committing his whole life to DT.

All the same, it will be interesting to see what the new album sounds like. I definitely wasn't mad on Portnoy's attempts to be uber metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Dio's passing was a shock in the sense that there was that realisation that he would be no longer with us, but his health had reportedly been detoriating rapidly a week or two before he died so it wasn't like it was sudden or completely unexpected.

Portnoy leaving Dream Theater on the other hand seemed to come out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Finally

Something I voted for actually won :P

I was sensing a rerun of the "Deicide Legion - Album of the week" fiasco!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

For me, David Ellefson rejoining Megadeth and Avenged Sevenfold's The Rev's passing (never mind the fact of Mike taking his place) were bigger shocks.

I'd never been a fan of AX7 but seen them in Marley Park in late August 2009 and to think he was dead less than a few weeks later is just mindblowing

When Mike joined AX7 I always felt that was the end of his involvement in Dream Theatre and as an ever evolving musician, whether you support his choices or not, he was looking for a complete change in situation

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For me, David Ellefson rejoining Megadeth and Avenged Sevenfold's The Rev's passing (never mind the fact of Mike taking his place) were bigger shocks.

I'd never been a fan of AX7 but seen them in Marley Park in late August 2009 and to think he was dead less than a few weeks later is just mindblowing

When Mike joined AX7 I always felt that was the end of his involvement in Dream Theatre and as an ever evolving musician, whether you support his choices or not, he was looking for a complete change in situation

That was so 2009:p

Portnoy leaving was easily shock of the year for me...still cant believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Mushy wrote: »
    That was so 2009:p

Em...Dec 26th or something I believe, did that make the biggest shock of 09?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Finally

Something I voted for actually won :P

I was sensing a rerun of the "Deicide Legion - Album of the week" fiasco!
    We must not speak of such things :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Denny M wrote: »
    We must not speak of such things :pac:
    well we could re-open the poll..................

Advertisement