Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student society ucd

Options
  • 01-01-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey just wondering is anyone a member of this im thinking of joining and would be interested in knowing what sort of activites they get up too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Knitting, pipe smoking. Usual old foogie stuff I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Theres a lunch once a month in the student centre but after that i'm not sure, i didn't rejoin this year because the lunches always clash with my timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Theres a lunch once a month in the student centre but after that i'm not sure, i didn't rejoin this year because the lunches always clash with my timetable.

cool whats the general age range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It seems to be quite broad but it tends to be the older end in attendance at the lunches from what i'm told.

Personally i prefer to hang around with people who share my interests rather than my age range (which spans 60 odd years for mature students!)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I'm not a member but a friend of mine is so I've met them. I'd say it ranges from 25-55. They go for drinks regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Im on the committee and im 25, the age range is extremely broad in the best way. To be honest the Mature Society tends to be a little lighter in terms of events then other societies but the events that are put on are very good. The lunches for example are always very enjoyable, always a good turnout, good spread, diverse group of people to chat to, very relaxing and just a bit of craic really. Another event thats new this year but we're hoping will become something of a staple is essentially an informal public speaking group which is on every week or 2 (Apologies, i must check for definite) and its aimed at people, regardless of age, who are a bit nervous about presentations and projects and would like to perform a little piece before a few non judgmental people to test the waters.

After that we try to organise joint debates (last year with L&H), drinks and table quizzes but if you join for nothing else let it be the lunches, without a doubt worth a few quid to get some free grub and have a chat with some people instead of kicking your heels around campus waiting for a class.

Hope to see you at refreshers and good luck in the coming semester.

Advertisement