Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Campervan and skiing?

• 01-01-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43

Hi all,
    We've recently purchased a campervan. Is it possible to bring a campervan to the slopes and if so, where? Has anyone done it?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Hi Kat,
    Congrats on your new camper.
    The great thing about motorhomes is you can bring them anywhere you like.
    Just make sure its fully insulated,that your water/waste tanks and pipes are not at risk of freezing up and you may also need snow chains for your tyres.
    Also propane gas (I think) is more suitable for very low temps.
    I'm sure a few more tips will be added.
    Enjoy.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

This site has alot of info on this:
    http://www.motorhomeski.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

You certainly can ski from you camper, depends on the camper.

Depending on how well insulated it is you may have issues with pipes freezing and draughts.

We have stayed at a very nice site attached to a small family run just outside Engelberg, Switzerland.

The hotel has a bar and good restaurant, wellness centre (Spa to us) excellent showers and toilets, ski drying room and is very well served by the free ski bus for the 1 or so mile journey to the ski lift. There is a good road all the way there from calais (toll free - I can give you the route if you decide to go). Snow tyres and chains are a legal requirement all the same, but all areas in Europe where you can ski have mandatory snow tyres and chains. You are unlikely to be stopped but if you have an accident or get stuck on an icy incline you will be ****ed, certainly in Switerland.

Here is the link to the hotel....I really recommend it and the skiing is top rate too. http://www.eienwaeldli.ch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I went skiing a few years ago with my family in a (rented) campervan. It was a Euramobil model, fully winterised, meaning, in effect, that the fresh and waste water tanks were internal within the heated area of the van.
    Outside temperatures at night were down to minus 25, we were warm as toast inside though, the heating being left on constantly. Used 2 gas bottles in two weeks.
    We really only slept in the camper. Open campsites in ski resorts had almost hotel like facilities. Bar, restaurants, drying facilities, childrens stuff were all centralised, at evening end you went "home" to sleep.
    Definitely worth doing, if your camper is up to it. We got to visit lots of different Austrian resorts, the better of which we've returned to many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Good to hear that about the Euramobil. We have a Euramobil which seems to have the same insulation (i.e. internal water and waste under the raised floor with heating pipes running beside it).
    It seems all EuraMobil motorhomes are built like this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Good to hear that about the Euramobil. We have a Euramobil which seems to have the same insulation (i.e. internal water and waste under the raised floor with heating pipes running beside it).
    It seems all EuraMobil motorhomes are built like this....

We also had a euramobil and you wont have problems in cold weather with the heating on. You waste pipe may freeze as it is the only thing on the outside but the valve is inside so I would doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

You should definitely get all season or winter tyres and if your van has alloys get steel rims. Even without ice and snow winter tyres have superior grip at temperature below 7 celcius.

I drove from venice to zell am see in December in a rental car with summer tyres and it was no fun at all. Despite main roads being cleared all the way residential roads are often snow covered.

Make sure to check the regulations for where you are going with regard to winter tyres, snow chains, equipment required. Each country had its own requirements.

In austria for example while you are not legally required to have m&s tyres in winter, if you are driving on snow covered road you must have m&s tyres or you may use snow chains on summer tyres only if there is heavy snow on the road and there is no risk of damaging the road surface. You must also drive during the day with dipped headlights on. My sister in law was fined in austria for driving during the day with sidelights instead of dips so they take it seriously.

In italy your motorhome needs to have a load warning sign on the back.

Its easy to get caught out so do your reasearch.

Advertisement