Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care that your Irish?

• 02-01-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭

I see alot of the 2 polar extremes...

On one side...
    Paddywhackery, wearing green abroad. Playing to the stereotype.

Pro Accent works with the foreign ladies...god bless em ;)
    Con Dignity is hugely diminished

On the other side
    Those ashamed to be irish. Sick of listening to the paddywhackery

Pro Somewhat fitting. VerY hard to fly the flag the way weve fecked ourselves up recently. Even the sports teams are tripe at best
    Con It makes me very sad to see people knocking the country (even when im one of them)

Anyways, im just wondering, is there any of you out there that really dont care about the nationalism. I want to quickly advise all athiests that their opinion on this shouldnt be considered - Ive never met a nationalist athiest (prove me wrong folks). Maybe not caring one way or the other is the way forward

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

VerY hard to fly the flag the way weve fecked ourselves up recently. Even the sports teams are tripe at best

Just support Spain. I loved them ever since 2008. Top, they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

You don't seem that angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Better than being American

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Do I care that my Irish what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Only Paddyackery I see goin on is by politicans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Not really. I'm not ashamed or anything either. I suppose it's one of those "ah ask me bollix" questions :p

The paddy brigade and the anti Oirish lot are as bad as each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I see myself more as a citizen of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I am the best. I attribute all my greatness to being born on this wonderful little island. If I was born in any other country, my greatness would be less. That's the cold hard truth that faces those who are not Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'm sure there is somewhere in between OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Very proud to be Irish, but I don't play to the stereotype when I'm abroad or any of that shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I wouldn't really attach any pride or shame to the random location/lineage I was born into.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

i'm a human being,i'm not Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i'm a human being,i'm not Irish.

Where did you get your passport - the Human Being Passport Office?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where did you get your passport - the Human Being Passport Office?

He got it free with 50 Heinz labels, and he's now a fully fledged Human Bean.

:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

ejmaztec wrote: »
    He got it free with 50 Heinz labels, and he's now a fully fledged Human Bean.

:o

it was bachelors,get it right :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭!MAVERICK!

I would consider myself quite lucky to be Irish.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

stovelid wrote: »
    Just support ArsenalSpain. I loved them ever since 2008. Top, they are.
    ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Why can't an atheist be proud to be Irish? Not seeing the connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

I couldn't care less, just ask for respect. I hate people taking the piss out of us *cough* Brits *cough*. Just joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i like being irish, not only our geographic location no naturel disasters, no artic (last 4 weeks were a fluke) or tropical conditions, european, but not attached... meaning we were involved in what was the centre of the world affairs for a milenia, but we were small enough to not be involved in the major european wars etc... we were colonised but i dont think it was as bad as what the indian, africans, americans etc... but also the fact that we are known for having a laugh world wide.

tl/dr = Bold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Fishie wrote: »
    Why can't an atheist be proud to be Irish? Not seeing the connection
    You'll have to ask the very angry man ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They shoot without shame
    In the name of a piece of dirt
    For a change of accent
    Or the color of your shirt
    Better the pride that resides
    In a citizen of the world
    Than the pride that divides
    When a colorful rag is unfurled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Anyways, im just wondering, is there any of you out there that really dont care about the nationalism. I want to quickly advise all athiests that their opinion on this shouldnt be considered - Ive never met a nationalist athiest (prove me wrong folks). Maybe not caring one way or the other is the way forward

I'm 10 explain this..

pmcmahon wrote: »
    it was bachelors,get it right :P

The winds getting up, time to batten down the hatches.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I worry about being Irish everyday. Probably won't sleep tonight thinking about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nah, randomly born here or whatever. Just another human

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm happy I was born here because for all it's faults it really is a pretty cool spot and we're genereally well liked abroad.
    But pride isn't a word I'd use, I had no say in it. Fortunate would be more accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Mr Marston

Atheist nationalist right here buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You are confusing two different concepts - being proud of your nationality & your idealogical beliefs regarding nationalism are not the same thing.

There are also many different types of nationalism & many of them are based on very different strains of ideology.

Also, it is absurd to suggest that an atheist cannot also have nationalistic beliefs. But I think you already know that.

• Advertisement

Mousey- wrote: »
    i like being irish, not only our geographic location no naturel disasters, no artic (last 4 weeks were a fluke) or tropical conditions, european, but not attached... meaning we were involved in what was the centre of the world affairs for a milenia, but we were small enough to not be involved in the major european wars etc... we were colonised but i dont think it was as bad as what the indian, africans, americans etc... but also the fact that we are known for having a laugh world wide.

tl/dr = Bold

"DAA Helping you on your way"

I couldn't help but notice when I saw that ad, that some people had been sleeping at the airport for five days because of the feckin snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gariceimo

i enjoy being Irish, but i don't advertise it, well i do have an Irish Flag tattoo on my forehead. But besides that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Anyone who plays up to the american stereotype of the Irish, leprechauns and that shi!te, needs a slap.

Im glad that I was born here and am Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I just care that (at least) I'm not English, and I thank God every day for it!

*puts on helmet*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I'm always proud of my culture and heritage. I think its very important and its something I'll pass on to my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Im Irish. I always liked being Irish.

I doubt the greater universe cares whether Im Irish or not. I have friends from other countries and I dont judge anyone by their country of origin, rather whether they are a decent soul or not.

I havent been abroad for 4 years, maybe the Irish arent as popular in "mainland Europe" nowadays - I know one girl who got hostile treatment while staying in Brussels last year because she's Irish:mad:.

I love my country. I dont love what has happened to my country over the past 12 months though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Pro Accent works with the foreign ladies...god bless em ;)
    Con Dignity is hugely diminished

I'm a Northsider with a D4 accent, I don't gain much respect at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Im Irish. I always liked being Irish.

I doubt the greater universe cares whether Im Irish or not. I have friends from other countries and I dont judge anyone by their country of origin, rather whether they are a decent soul or not.

I havent been abroad for 4 years, maybe the Irish arent as popular in "mainland Europe" nowadays - I know one girl who got hostile treatment while staying in Brussels last year because she's Irish:mad:.

I love my country. I dont love what has happened to my country over the past 12 months though....
    What happened her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Proud to be Irish? Genetically, culturally or nationally? Either way it's a bit pointless isn't it. I was born with fingers, that doesn't neccessarily make me proud. Neither does being Irish. It just is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Hi Scientific1982!

Well she got hostile treatment in bars and restaurants, some even turned on her about Irelands economy. Basically the natives were rude to her - seemingly because she's Irish.

Im only going by what I was told at the time, but I know she will never travel to Brussels again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Mousey- wrote: »

If the UK built a massive new modern airport and wanted to advertise it by showing off some national pride how would it compare to this video?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I do care about it. I love living here, I love Irish people and, to be honest, I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather have grown up in. I do have a lot of love for Ireland, simply because I grew up here and my family and friends are all from here. That's not to say I don't love travelling too and I love lots of other places in the world, however, I do think I'll end up back in Ireland again at the end of my life. It does mean a lot of to me to be Irish. It's an identity thing. I love the culture and the history and all that. There's all that 'oh, I'm a human being, it's an accident of birth that I'm Irish', but, as far as I'm concerned, it's a very happy accident indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hi Scientific1982!

Well she got hostile treatment in bars and restaurants, some even turned on her about Irelands economy. Basically the natives were rude to her - seemingly because she's Irish.

Im only going by what I was told at the time, but I know she will never travel to Brussels again.

This is what gets me questioning defining yourself by a nationality.

It creates division like the above case. Belgian person defines an Irish person by generalities and Irish person defines Brussels by one bad experience in a boozer there.

Makes no sense, either way.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Schapiro

I like our island, and weather..and music..and language, and culture in general I suppose. We've a rich history and I think we're a grand lot overall.

Can't say that I wake up every morning and say to myself "Another Irish morning! My life is fantastic because I'm Irish! Today will be a good day because I'm Irish!" though. I'm afraid it doesn't quite work that way.

Anyway, would rather be able to say I'm Irish than a lot of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

Im only going by what I was told at the time, but I know she will never travel to Brussels again.[/QUOTE]
    Lol never going back to Brussels is a bit extreme.She got a slagging about her country's economy..that's too funny.Oh Im an atheist by the way and I love Ireland..I even cried when we lost to spain in penos in 2002 and had a mighty battle holding them back when keano went home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thecool

Yeah I'm very proud and honoured to be Irish and I'm a city dweller I love our culture and language , some people offend me when they're so anti Irish , I'm an atheist/catholic..
    But yeah , we were the country that could and can.

It's crazy to think that if there was no genocide by the British, that Ireland's population would be 28 million now.
    I'm quiet a nationalistc person but I don't support Sinn Fein.

There's not really any sort of leaning right political partys in Ireland.
    I'd like if there was a centre-right/right but not far right political party here.

But yeah I'm proud to be Irish and always will be.

:D:D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

I hate being Irish.

scorpioishere go emigrate :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

thecool wrote: »
    Yeah I'm very proud and honoured to be Irish and I'm a city dweller I love our culture and language , some people offend me when they're so anti Irish
    Can you speak the language fluently? Do you know the history of this nation and no not just 1916?
    I'm an atheist/catholic..
    That's a very Irish way to look at things :D
    But yeah , we were the country that could and can.
    I disagree. We were the country that could and largely didnt. Irish people have, but usually do so by getting as far away from the place as possible. As a nation? Yea I dont really see anything much of note built or done in the last 1000 years that you wouldnt find in any relatively large old town in Europe.
    It's crazy to think that if there was no genocide by the British, that Ireland's population would be 28 million now.
    Yea but of what qualiity. When people were eating grass and dying in their multitudes on the coast and their brains didnt extend to beachcombing you do have to ask yourself. When fishermen sold their nets to buy food, you just give up.
    I'm quiet a nationalistc person
    Would all your fellows be as quiet....

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's your opinion.
    And yes to both questions .

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I only tend to care when i'm away. Its not something i think about day-to-day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement