Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care that your Irish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

I'm extremey proud to be Irish. I don't do all the stereotypical stuff when abroad but I do notice that we get much better treatment from foreign people when they realise we are Irish.

Also, my girlfriend is German and she always says that I should be proud to be Irish as we are probably the most loved country in the world! Apparently we don't know how good we have it compared to living in some other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think pride is the wrong word to describe your nationality and feelings about it although the feelings are often analogous with pride.

It's a diffuse, empathetic, comforting set of emotional feelings shared with others that have the same national political, sporting, historical/cultural mores as you and it's a very strong and positive feeling.

The problem with it is the flag-waving, superiority and belittling/suppression of your own people's views (cf: "begrudgery" re: "our people" or democratic criticism of militaristic republicanism) based on your national background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

If the UK built a massive new modern airport and wanted to advertise it by showing off some national pride how would it compare to this video?

The UK is a lot bigger and older nation that Ireland and that is one of the reasons that it has had so much influence in the world stage.

The vast majority of countries when contrasted to the UK in that regard would not compare.

Just because Ireland's achievements (for better or worse) do not carry as much weight internationally as possibly the most influential Nation in the World in a historical sense, then that is nothing to be ashamed of.

For a small country, with a small population that has had many obstacles and hardships to contend with throughout history I think Ireland has a lot to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

I'm not Irish and kind of happy with it, My home country needs no insurance to drive and no such thing as a provisional licence. You can drive a Dodge Viper 8.3 from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hi Scientific1982!

Well she got hostile treatment in bars and restaurants, some even turned on her about Irelands economy. Basically the natives were rude to her - seemingly because she's Irish.

Im only going by what I was told at the time, but I know she will never travel to Brussels again.

The Belgians giving her grief???
    Wtf have they ever done? Are they even (in)famous for anything? Now there's a country that's a complete waste of space!

Btw I'm proud as fook to be Irish, love my country and it's people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm in two minds about this. On one hand, my being Irish isn't that important to me. And I can quote the Young Covey in "The Plough and the Stars": "There's no such thing as an Irishman or a German or a Turk. It's all an accidental coming together of mollycewels and atoms."

On the other hand I'm glad I spent my formative years in Ireland. My parents are both Irish and so were all my grandparents. And I've got the Belfast accent to back me up.

When I come across groups of schoolkids in London gabbling in their barely intelligible voices, I'm glad I'm not like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Thomas828 wrote: »
    mollycewels

Is she Harry's sister? Heard she was a bit of a bike alright :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Mr Marston

kfallon wrote: »
    The Belgians giving her grief???
    Wtf have they ever done? Are they even (in)famous for anything? Now there's a country that's a complete waste of space!
    "Famous for chocolate and paedophilia. And they only made the chocolate to get to the children."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

galwayrush wrote: »
    I see myself more as a citizen of the world.

Try saying that to American customs officers and see how far you get :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The thing that saddens me most is the our international reputation has taken a hammer blow. A few short years ago we seemed to have it all, a vibrant economy, great standard of living, a huge percentage of people completing 3rd level courses. For the outsider looking in, we were a model country, a real example of what the EU is supposed to be about.
    Now after all those gains, the old stereotype about the feckless idiotic Irish is being reinforced again. We are once again going to be butt of many a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

It's not my fault the country has gone to sh*t. So i don't really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

Gucky wrote: »
    I just care that (at least) I'm not English, and I thank God every day for it!

*puts on helmet*
    :D
    no cant say I am too proud to be irish considering what a racist ignorant small minded shower of pricks we can be, im human born into this world the same as everyone else, and im sure the english made your life a misery. you prob a little mummys boy that never had a hard day in your life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was born here and had no choice in the matter really. I love Irish people like myself, the ones who lived and worked overseas for a few years. The Irish who travelled and the Irish who never left the homestead are two totally different animals. Many who never left the homestead 'reek' of negativity, doom and 'cute hoorisim'. Not all I admit, but a lot of them do.

What the Irish can achieve in other countries is amazing, but come back here and you go fcuking retrograde. Cronyism, cliques and little tribes pervade the landscape here. In Ireland we need to be ruled, when we are abroad we can rule the world. It's truly an amazing paradox really.

I don't really care about the colour of a flag anymore, since all vestiges of our independence have been prostituted away. We are a country that was capable of so much, but has delivered so little. On a positive note, now that we've reached the bottom of the barrel. Maybe people will no longer tolerate the corrupt old ways that bankrupted us on so many levels.

So ya OP, I do care that I’m Irish because I think we have so much potential. I love this beautiful little island and most of us are a great bunch. Let’s us do here, what we’ve been doing overseas for generations – building great nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

I think this is one of those things that people over analyse, splitting into two camps:
    (a) Yeah, I'm so proud I have a tatoo of Brian Boru impaling George V on his massive cock on my back
    (b) No, we're all just the consequence of a sequence of monkeys having sex.

I think in reality you can like/love your culture without being nationalistic in the modern sense of the word. I really wish we could get back that concept of plainer non-nationalistic pride in a culture, something that used to common place in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

i am really proud to be Irish, but i hate it when you go away and most of the foreigners think we are English, When we in fact we are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The UK is a lot bigger and older nation that Ireland and that is one of the reasons that it has had so much influence in the world stage.

The vast majority of countries when contrasted to the UK in that regard would not compare.

Just because Ireland's achievements (for better or worse) do not carry as much weight internationally as possibly the most influential Nation in the World in a historical sense, then that is nothing to be ashamed of.

For a small country, with a small population that has had many obstacles and hardships to contend with throughout history I think Ireland has a lot to be proud of.

Just a note, most of the things that that guy mentions in that video are from when Ireland was in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'm ashamed of being Irish. I'm not ashamed of our language, but instead of our race itself. I see myself as an EU citizen, not Irish. When I finish college, I'm moving to the Netherlands, Germany or Slovakia. I'm just so sick of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 smug

Lonely Planet said:

"The pub is where the Irish are at their convivial best, or their belligerent worst"

One thing I always hated about Ireland was the level of abuse. Anyone does anything and they get slagged to death.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What the Irish can achieve in other countries is amazing, but come back here and you go fcuking retrograde. Cronyism, cliques and little tribes pervade the landscape here. In Ireland we need to be ruled, when we are abroad we can rule the world. It's truly an amazing paradox really.
    This and yes it really is some paradox alright CM. We can be a right bunch of servile little toadies ruled by jumped up little gauleiters on this island. Yet as you say there exist many nations today who would have taken a very different path if Irish individuals hadn't been around. Science, the arts ditto. It seems our best leave, or its the only way to truly grow. Surrounded by our fellows seems to stunt us or make us think small. Ireland, a truly great place to be from, but maybe not always to be in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't care that I'm Irish at all. Sure we had a few cool people who did stuff, most of the time we bitch, moan and begrudge people. We are immature as a nation in every sense of the word, between social progressiveness and our attitude to money and blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

We are immature as a nation in every sense of the word, between social progressiveness and our attitude to money and blame.

Youve never read a British tabloid? Or watched Fox News?

Were not immature. Not these days anyway. We are "doing what we are told" in every sense of the word now that the Nannys of IMF and ECB are here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

galwayrush wrote: »
    I see myself more as a citizen of the world.

...and yet you announce where you're from (I presume) on the internet..there's a little pride there...

I love being Irish, i'm proud of what we have accomplished being so few in number and our history and I like travelling abroad and being noticed as Irish (it's not playing up it's how I talk) I haven't been shown aggression yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

reality bites. but its quite a card to play with the exotic easterners i do go for they have a stereotypical view of dapper suave whiskey drinking rock n rollers who are kind, lucky and family orientated :cool: well in my experience anyhow. of course that stuff's almost completely dissipated in this day n age lest u wanna be dubbed a hipster in yer local but we should restore it n play up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

By being Irish I'm immediately better than everyone else from every other country. Then there's only 4 million of ye backstards to compete with for that coveted title.

I'd hate to be French tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

proud to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

Very proud of my Irish roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

I was listening to a fella the other day complaining the english,blaming them for every bit of misery this Island has ever suffered,"May they sink into the sea",he said,sporting his matching Man United tattoo, and jersey, with Wayne Rooney's name plastered all over the back of it,definatley from the shallow end of the gene pool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Sgt.Peppers

phasers wrote: »
    Better than being American
    haha well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

I see alot of the 2 polar extremes...

Anyways, im just wondering, is there any of you out there that really dont care about the nationalism. I want to quickly advise all athiests that their opinion on this shouldnt be considered - Ive never met a nationalist athiest (prove me wrong folks). Maybe not caring one way or the other is the way forward

Eh, I'm a nationalist athiest and proud of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I was born here and had no choice in the matter really. I love Irish people like myself, the ones who lived and worked overseas for a few years. The Irish who travelled and the Irish who never left the homestead are two totally different animals. Many who never left the homestead 'reek' of negativity, doom and 'cute hoorisim'. Not all I admit, but a lot of them do.

I don't really care about the colour of a flag anymore, since all vestiges of our independence have been prostituted away. We are a country that was capable of so much, but has delivered so little. On a positive note, now that we've reached the bottom of the barrel. Maybe people will no longer tolerate the corrupt old ways that bankrupted us on so many levels.

So ya OP, I do care that I’m Irish because I think we have so much potential. I love this beautiful little island and most of us are a great bunch. Let’s us do here, what we’ve been doing overseas for generations – building great nations.

Well said.. great post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

colm1234 wrote: »
    no cant say I am too proud to be irish considering what a racist ignorant small minded shower of pricks we can be, im human born into this world the same as everyone else, and im sure the english made your life a misery. you prob a little mummys boy that never had a hard day in your life
    Fair comment and reply to poster
    xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i am really proud to be Irish, but i hate it when you go away and most of the foreigners think we are English, When we in fact we are Irish.
    Canadians when abroad dont like to be confused with Americans but there's good and bad in all races .It's not were you come from ,it's what type of human being you are that counts

I haven't lived at home for many years now but my expierences abroad , living and working alongside other non Irish have educated me a lot more about them , their good and bad points (we all have them ) which is a helluva difference between stereotyping from the comfort of mammys armchair .

I was born in Ireland , I'm Irish , I have the passport and not in any hurry to apply , change or seek to be of another nationality and despite all the negativity it's always at the back of my mind to return to live back there some day . I am who I am and care enough about my Irishness to always want to be . It's just a pity that the countrys gone down the tube but as other poster said ' that's not my fault ' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

If the UK built a massive new modern airport and wanted to advertise it by showing off some national pride how would it compare to this video?

Does it matter? Just what is this narrow fixation among certain Irish people with what Britain does, or does not do? Are there any other countries with which you can compare us? Are there any countries who can build airports/do advertisements better than Britain? Any?

The UK is a state, not a nation. And, yes, as a state it's considerably older than the state named Ireland. As a 'nation' Britain is, however, considerably younger than the nation named Ireland.

Neither would they compare with Ireland by the time you've included every underdeveloped country on the planet. What is much more important is that there are now numerous countries which are far ahead of Britain in the vast majority of areas. There being many countries in the world, this should not be surprising. The pity is that some Irish people still can't get their heads around the easily verifiable fact that there's a world of advanced, progressive states beyond Britain which have long surpassed old England in technological innovation, environmental ideas, scientific progress, automobile manufacturing and, well, most other things. This, too, should be logical given that there are so many of these countries. Comparing Ireland to Britain is not exactly setting the bar high and says much more about the myopia of the person who can only think of what happens in Britain whenever they want to compare Ireland to another country.

I agree. I especially agree when narrow-minded and myopic people are posting just to say: Ireland = shíte; Britain = bee's knees. Most societies have, however, much to be 'proud' of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

no

just coz youre born in a barn doesnt make you a horse

Helix wrote: »
    no

just coz youre born in a barn doesnt make you a horse

Although sorta quoting Daniel O Connell might very well indicate that you have a connection to Ireland....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dionysus wrote: »
    Although sorta quoting Daniel O Connell might very well indicate that you have a connection to Ireland....

duke of wellington non?

Dionysus wrote: »
    He may have said it first ....
    duke of wellington non?
    He's quoted and associated with saying it more ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

Best before 1914

duke of wellington non?

That's actually a common misattribution. Daniel O'Connell is recorded by Frederick Bond Hughes as having said the following at the monster meeting in Mullaghmast on 16 October 1643:

'The poor old Duke! What shall I say of him, to be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse' [ Shaw's Authenticated Report of the Irish State Trials (1844), p. 93.]

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Spirited54321

I think that nationalism exists in every country, it is a sense of belonging to a kindred people. IMO,the land and people that surrounds you, the country's history, the irish gene forms you, it makes you the person that you are. For me it is therefore somewhat important to care about my irishness as it is a part of my identity. I do become dismayed at being Irish sometimes though but overall i care.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭annieire

I love being Irish...i've even included it in my username here ire/eire.

Being Irish can be a state of mind than anything else and a sense of self is very important to the individual .So the ecomomic downturn has challenged Irish peoples (mostly in Ireland ) view as to how they perceive themselfs and how other countrys do ,it's already begun as threads started like this show and was to be expected . But unless someone want's to go around quoting every old saying from an Irish teacloth then nobody really has the monopoly on being 100% Irish anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

I hate being Irish for the simple reason that it means I'm stuck in a group. Other nationalities are treated differently, but because Irelands so small, people tend to generalize about Irish people. So stereotypes are more commonly accepted about Irish people in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Generally no, but there are times when it's a shared bond, and it then becomes of relevance to me. It doesn't fully define me though, but it would be disingenuous to say it hasn't shaped me whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Mousey- wrote: »
    i like being irish, not only our geographic location no naturel disasters, no artic (last 4 weeks were a fluke) or tropical conditions, european, but not attached... meaning we were involved in what was the centre of the world affairs for a milenia, but we were small enough to not be involved in the major european wars etc... we were colonised but i dont think it was as bad as what the indian, africans, americans etc... but also the fact that we are known for having a laugh world wide.

tl/dr = Bold

That and we didn't go around raping half the planet like a lot of European nations and modern countries.

Well 1st of all the UK would have had to have been subjected to hundreds of years of rape and a population of about 4 million. And not gone around doing the whole evil empire thing to compare.

When some English people talk about national pride they tend to bring up deeds that in another conversation they would criticizes the Germans for trying to do. The French do the same regarding napoleon.

Having a leader that went around attacking and invading other countries for their land is not something to be proud of.

Or maybe they'd have something like this :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Sisko wrote: »
    That and we didn't go around raping half the planet like a lot of European nations and modern countries.

Well 1st of all the UK would have had to have been subjected to hundreds of years of rape and a population of about 4 million. And not gone around doing the whole evil empire thing to compare.

When some English people talk about national pride they tend to bring up deeds that in another conversation they would criticizes the Germans for trying to do. The French do the same regarding napoleon.

Having a leader that went around attacking and invading other countries for their land is not something to be proud of.

Or maybe they'd have something like this :p

The fact that we didn't gain some sort of independence hundreds of years ago is nothing to be proud of. And also, how do you know that the Irish had never slaughtered or killed hundreds of people in an attempt to gain territories. In a sense we did, we fought amongst ourselves in the Early Medieval times (and long before that) and butchered our own people. Also after the fall of the Roman Empire many Irish tribes raided the West Coast of Britain and Brittany in France and took many slaves. We even had a small little 'Empire' with territorial control over parts of Wales and Scotland for a while. The only reason the British (or Britons as they were known) weren't able to fight back is because they were still split up into many kingdoms (e.g., the Saxons, the Cornish, the Angles, etc..). I bet that if the Irish High King had more power and recognition on the island there is a chance that we might have been able to defend ourselves from the Anglo-Normans. From then on we could have developed our own kingdom and trade with Europe. We might have even had our own colonies in the New World like the English, Dutch and even the Swedes and the Norwegians. If it weren't for chance we could have easily have been as 'bad' as other European powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

The fact that we didn't gain some sort of independence hundreds of years ago is nothing to be proud of.

Eh? I didn't put it like that I was making the point that dispute of all that. Being dominated for hundreds of years, have a small population and so on and so forth we've still had a disproportionate, positive impact on the world. Without having to go to war with it.

I bet that if the Irish High King had more power and recognition on the island there is a chance that we might have been able to defend ourselves from the Anglo-Normans. From then on we could have developed our own kingdom and trade with Europe. We might have even had our own colonies in the New World like the English, Dutch and even the Swedes and the Norwegians. If it weren't for chance we could have easily have been as 'bad' as other European powers.

Possibly yes, but thankfully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 anorange

To be honest, I can't think of another country I'd rather be from (and I'm far from being a rabid nationalist).
    As an Irish-person living abroad I find people are quite positive about the country. And let's face it, why not! We haven't invaded anyone, we have a pretty interesting culture, we are a generally amiable people. We have a certain kind of humility that bigger countries rarely have (though we briefly may have lost it during the celtic tiger era, the recession has quickly brought us back to earth). People I met seemed happy for us when we were doing well, and lately sympathetic towards our economic plight (though this is from someone living in Asia, I can't imagine the sentiment in europe being the same).
    Overall, Ireland is a cool little country. And I, for one, am glad to be Irish.
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement