Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care that your Irish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Dudess wrote: »
    Generally no, but there are times when it's a shared bond, and it then becomes of relevance to me. It doesn't fully define me though, but it would be disingenuous to say it hasn't shaped me whatsoever.
    Dudess, how can it not define you. Assuming you grew up here, most of your outside influences would have come from other Irish people. If your parents are both Irish, your genetics also comes from this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Am i proud to be Irish
    I do have mixed feelings about this small Island.
    I see its a love hate relationship that you can have with the land.
    Right now i tell everyone around me that im not proud to be Irish. Stuck in this ever shrinking Island that is run by gangsters.
    But im Looking to the future and i know that at the end of the day i can be proud to call myself an Irish citizen and of Irish decent We have many great landmarks and glorious stories to tell. The Irish may be small in numbers but we have a massive impact on the world. And im proud to say that im apart of that impact.

Ní féidir liom Gaeilge a labhairt. Ach tá mé ag duine a bheith bródúil as Gaeilge riamh a scaoilte a chuid fréamhacha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I don't know, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Just a small anecdote,

I was recently in Spain, and the place was dead. We had had a bit of banter with the Moroccan watch sellers during the night and when they finished up they came over to us for a chat.

They asked us where we were from, and we said Ireland.

This guy, who shares a bedroom with 6 other people, sells knocked off watches for a living and earns less than 150 a week, turns to me with a degree of shock on his face and says, "Ireland!?! I have seen Ireland on the news... I want never to go to Ireland".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I am proud to be Irish and I wouldn't change that for the world :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

colm1234 wrote: »
    no cant say I am too proud to be irish considering what a racist ignorant small minded shower of pricks we can be,

I'll have to agree with you on that one, I'm not Irish and I live in the country side (You know now), It's not safe for me to go out in the town alone because the local idiots & narrow-minded boys gang up on me and tell me to get the f*ck out of their country. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I'll have to agree with you on that one, I'm not Irish and I live in the country side (You know now), It's not safe for me to go out in the town alone because the local idiots & narrow-minded boys gang up on me and tell me to get the f*ck out of their country. :mad:

theres idiots in every country, luckily they're in a minority

Crosáidí wrote: »
    theres idiots in every country, luckily they're in a minority

But it's a majority here, they're pure racist! :mad:

Thats really ****ed up. Sorry to hear that.

But it's a majority here, they're pure racist! :mad:
    What part of the country do you live in.

• Advertisement

What part of the country do you live in.

West.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Where are you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sisko wrote: »
    Where are you from?

He's from the East :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

the reasons i love being irish

1.our history is amazing
    2.our ancestors "brought the british empire to its knees"
    3.we have a parade celebrated world wide.
    4.we have our own language and sport
    5.our people built america
    6.in various sports we have punched above our own weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

1.our history is amazing

all well and good but at the end of the day we are a tiny spec on the earths surface, if we were wiped off im sure no one would give two s.hi.ts. its like we as a country have small man syndrome constantly telling others how great we are. " im irish im great PLEASE LISTEN TO MEEEE what are we about 4 million strong woooooooooooooooooooooo :D

1.our history is amazing

We have also been blessed with some greats of English literature
    Joyce, Wilde, Heaney, Shaw, Friel, Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I couldnt really give a ****e about it really. Cant understand why the americans love us though. we're miserable bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Don't forget Paul Howard :D
    I'd also add the pretty cool archaeology and mythology. I'd love to see a drive to promote this instead of the twee image that gets thrown around too much.

I like the way ya love the fact we have our own language and tell us about your love of it in fecking English. Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

seanybiker wrote: »
    I like the way ya love the fact we have our own language and tell us about your love of it in fecking English. Good man.

In his defence, while the language does live on, broadcasting your views in it will not reach the masses as not enough people understand it. So i think he is quite apt in speaking English.

Any person/multinational business worth its salt deals in English regardless of wether they are based in an English speaking country. Just the way of the world. While im glad we have our language, im also happy that we have an "espiranto" language that we can use to chat with most people worldwide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

1.our history is amazing

Along with Italians, Polish and god knows how many other nationalities.
    I have to admit when I hear this catchphrase along with "the Irish are everywhere" I tend to look at it almost form a negative point of view because when (in recent years) you start looking at why people emigrated it's not much to be proud of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

colm1234 wrote: »
    all well and good but at the end of the day we are a tiny spec on the earths surface
    And the Earth is a tiny insignificant spec of impurities created through typical thermodynamic processes during the formation of a typical G2 class star. At least we live in a pretty big galaxy though.

yeh for the people who dont speak it

ta teanga fein againn....an bhfuil sinn nios fear duit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

no being honest i couldnt care im irish i care more that im a dub. i have nothing in common with most boggers i meet from around ireland and a lot of bogger towns around ireland make me cringe (pat shortt and killanascully) is to blame :D

im a dub 1st irish 2nd

ricero wrote: »
    no being honest i couldnt care im irish i care more that im a dub. i have nothing in common with most boggers i meet from around ireland and a lot of bogger towns around ireland make me cringe (pat shortt and killanascully) is to blame :D

im a dub 1st irish 2nd

You have nothing in common with Dubs either if that's how you treat your fellow countryman, take a trip past the M50 you'll surprise yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

You have nothing in common with Dubs either if that's how you treat your fellow countryman, take a trip past the M50 you'll surprise yourself

haha i knew i would face a backlash can you not just respect a persons personal views without criticism

So your trolling, more fool me

ricero wrote: »
    haha i knew i would face a backlash can you not just respect a persons personal views without criticism

could be worse,you could express your pride in ireland and get attacked for saying one sentence in the language that everyone on boards uses:pac:

Sisko wrote: »
    Where are you from?

Pakistan, but spent most of the time outside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK
    1.our history is amazing
    Yea and like the Italians or Greeks or Germans or Swedes or Spanish etc are lacking on that score.
    Muhahhahahhahah. Yea right. It took us the guts of 7 centuries to do it. The Yanks did it in less than two. The Indians about the same.
    OK...
    A tiny percentage are actually fluent in the former and the latter is pretty local.
    As did the Polish, the Jews, the Germans(actually mostly German).
    Examples?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK

Yea and like the Italians or Greeks or Germans or Swedes or Spanish etc are lacking on that score.
    Every country's history is amazing
    Muhahhahahhahah. Yea right. It took us the guts of 7 centuries to do it. The Yanks did it in less than two. The Indians about the same.
    Americans where over 3,000 miles away the Indians even futher
    A tiny percentage are actually fluent in the former and the latter is pretty local.
    It's still a beautiful language that 2 other seperate languages spun off from, many sports have been derived from hurling, the game has lasted millenia and stood the test of time
    Examples?
    Rugby, Football, Boxing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

1.our history is amazing
    Who built America?

25qyzae.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Every country's history is amazing
    Americans where over 3,000 miles away the Indians even futher
    It's still a beautiful language that 2 other seperate languages spun off from, many sports have been derived from hurling, the game has lasted millenia and stood the test of time
    Rugby, Football, Boxing

Wales and Scotland have better records at Rugby I think, Scotland have qualified for more World Cups. We've a good record at boxing alright.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Wales and Scotland have better records at Rugby I think, Scotland have qualified for more World Cups. We've a good record at boxing alright.

A scottish or welsh team have never won the Heineken Cup, 4 times Irish teams have won it and 2 times runners-up since it started 95-96
    We've been to 3 WC and 1 Euro, not bad for a country of 4.5m, in what is the hardest Confederation to qualify through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A scottish or welsh team have never won the Heineken Cup, 4 times Irish teams have won it and 2 times runners-up since it started 95-96
    We've been to 3 WC and 1 Euro, not bad for a country of 4.5m, in what is the hardest Confederation to qualify through

Ah right, I was comparing like for like, Grand slams, Triple Crowns.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Speaking as a non-Irish person I'd like to point out that the Irish are generally very well regarded by continentals, it tends to be the Irish that slag Ireland/the Irish for the most part. You do like to dwell on the negative in all aspects of Irish society. Give yourselves a break.
    Across Europe Ireland is seen as a proud independent nation, its poets and authors revered and the Irish people thought of as some of the most friendly and welcoming in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Would still like to know how the Irish people created America.

There is this thing of the Irish being 'the blacks of europe', which was true once in a lot of ways, but the title seems to have become ingrained and you seems to now regard yourselves as the perennial underdog, and to live down to that reputation. 'Sure only in Ireland:rolleyes:' and all that sh!te.
    You should as a nation be proud of your culture and of what you achieved.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Would still like to know how the Irish people created America.
    They didn't. Europe did.

But you're crap at football:D
    Or not.
    Just remembered how Holland got to the final...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

pitty the first two had to get out in order to get some recongition, or had to be dead before the authorities allowed their work to become more public

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

K-9 wrote: »

i know rugby has compeition with soccer and athletics in Scotland & Wales. what about cricket? take away the recent boom in the interest (what roughly 2001ish) in rugby in ireland over the past decade, whatever was achieved by the irish prior to eddie o sullivan is impressive eg triple crown(s) and british lions representatives, when you consider that hurling, gaelic and to some extent (in dublin at least) soccer (pre 1990) were more dominant in Irish life. this is not intendeding to sound all underdog etc, which, in todays world, i get really annoyed with.

as for soccer, before Jack, that was disappointing considering there were some genuine great players, eoin hand was really unlucky in the 1986 qualifiers. Still, one huge issue that puzzles me is scotland. in the 1960-1990's they had fantactic footballers and managers; daglish, hansen, sounness............. all of whom ruled the english leagues, yet they could never get past the first round at a world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

:rolleyes:

what the fuck do ya expect him to do? This is an english speaking forum after all, i'm sure he would have posted as gaeilge in teach na ngealt.

Wibbs wrote: »
    OK

OK...
    As did the Polish, the Jews, the Germans(actually mostly German).
    Examples?

you are whats wrong with this country,i hope who ever in your family fought in the easter rising are disgusted with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

I see alot of the 2 polar extremes...

On one side...
    Paddywhackery, wearing green abroad. Playing to the stereotype.

Pro Accent works with the foreign ladies...god bless em ;)
    Con Dignity is hugely diminished

On the other side
    Those ashamed to be irish. Sick of listening to the paddywhackery

Pro Somewhat fitting. VerY hard to fly the flag the way weve fecked ourselves up recently. Even the sports teams are tripe at best
    Con It makes me very sad to see people knocking the country (even when im one of them)

Anyways, im just wondering, is there any of you out there that really dont care about the nationalism. I want to quickly advise all athiests that their opinion on this shouldnt be considered - Ive never met a nationalist athiest (prove me wrong folks). Maybe not caring one way or the other is the way forward

No couldnt give a damn...the accent thing abroad is great dunno what they find appealing about it but I'll take it haha There's nothing special about this place its no different than any other country....

PS I hate paddywhackery, 'Irish music' and all that stuff they use to market us to the yanks...now that is embarrassing! haha

Johro wrote: »
    Speaking as a non-Irish person I'd like to point out that the Irish are generally very well regarded by continentals, it tends to be the Irish that slag Ireland/the Irish for the most part. You do like to dwell on the negative in all aspects of Irish society. Give yourselves a break.
    Across Europe Ireland is seen as a proud independent nation, its poets and authors revered and the Irish people thought of as some of the most friendly and welcoming in the world.

Well we know what its really like full of greed begrudgery and dishonesty...who cares if its independent effectively the EU rules us for a good few years now anyway so thats irrelevant at this stage. I dont think Irish people are any more friendly...in fact I'd say the Germans, Brits and the yanks are friendlier in general to name three...

I couldnt really give a ****e about it really. Cant understand why the americans love us though. we're miserable bastards.

Yeah most ppl spend the whole time slagging them off here for being thick!

aDeener wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

what the fuck do ya expect him to do? This is an english speaking forum after all, i'm sure he would have posted as gaeilge in teach na ngealt.

he's hardly gonna get banned for speaking irish ya tit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Another lump of rock with imaginary lines written over it, just like every other lump of rock where tribes claim authority over territories. I'm proud to be part of a culture, not a lump of rock.

Our culture is shockingly half-hearted, but breeds patience and sharp wit in spades. But the apathy is overwhelming. Am I proud to be Irish? Not anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Johro wrote: »
    Speaking as a non-Irish person I'd like to point out that the Irish are generally very well regarded by continentals, it tends to be the Irish that slag Ireland/the Irish for the most part.

Thank you for saying what neded to be said because there are people on boards who could turn the whole Brits are always slagging us off /putting us down routine into an industry when as you rightly point out ,it's the natives who do it more , and much better than any foreigner ever has
    as for soccer, before Jack, that was disappointing considering there were some genuine great players, eoin hand was really unlucky in the 1986 qualifiers. Still, one huge issue that puzzles me is scotland. in the 1960-1990's they had fantactic footballers and managers; daglish, hansen, sounness............. all of whom ruled the english leagues, yet they could never get past the first round at a world cup
    . Yes he was and it's only bad refereeing that has robbed us of vital points and qualifying , not just in 86 but 82 to (add Henrys hand ball to , it seems to be a regular occurence with Irish squads )
    colc1
    Well we know what its really like full of greed begrudgery and dishonesty...who cares if its independent effectively the EU rules us for a good few years now anyway so thats irrelevant at this stage. I dont think Irish people are any more friendly...in fact I'd say the Germans, Brits and the yanks are friendlier in general to name three
    .. I would agree , yes many Irish people are friendly and some individuals make more of an effort them others but some think they are being friendly when they are really only going through the motions of ie,not really .

Advertisement