Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you care that your Irish?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

seanybiker wrote: »
    he's hardly gonna get banned for speaking irish ya tit.

did i say he would get banned? :rolleyes: christ would ya ever read what's written. your attempt to look clever and funny was pathetic.... using your logic one can only discuss love of certain languages in said language.

why would he write in a language, where no one else in the thread had used it?

i doubt you would have said the same in a thread about spain for example, where someone may have said they loved the spanish language, in english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

the reasons i love being irish

1.our history is amazing (but not uniquely so... check out Greece, Turkey, Sicily...)
    2.our ancestors "brought the british empire to its knees" (erm, an exaggeration. Moreover many former colonies [Kenya, India, the USA...] managed to kick the Brits out too.)
    3.we have a parade celebrated world wide. (invented in the USA)
    4.we have our own language and sport (language, so what? Sport, yes, agreed!)
    5.our people built america (along with all the other immigrants to America)
    6.in various sports we have punched above our own weight. (Just about every nation picks a sport to punch above their weight in)

Sorry. I really like living here but I let's have some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

colc1 wrote: »
    Well we know what its really like full of greed begrudgery and dishonesty...who cares if its independent effectively the EU rules us for a good few years now anyway so thats irrelevant at this stage. I dont think Irish people are any more friendly...in fact I'd say the Germans, Brits and the yanks are friendlier in general to name three...
    Not sure about that. But I came over here in '84, and things were a little different. I do acknowledge that people were friendlier and had more time for others when they were poorer. A lot of negatives come with money, begrudgery yeah, but also the sense of having to protect what you got when ya find yourself better off and able to afford those luxuries you couldn't before. Where I live people used to not bother locking their doors. Now they have security cameras and alarms. I find people are friendlier in the poorer areas, in the country definitely so.
    I do think the Irish have a culture they can be proud of, but maybe it's not so evident when you've grown up in it and appeals more to outsiders coz it's not what they're used to.
    I just see Irish people forever knocking themselves. You seem to be your own worst enemy. Although you might get the same from any European when ya ask them about their country and national pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Mr Marston wrote: »
    Atheist nationalist right here buddy.
    And a want to be Yank to boot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I'm a Northsider with a D4 accent, I don't gain much respect at all.
    Just drop the fake accent and see how you get on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

In one sense i'm proud of my Irish compatriots for their sense of humour and sound, friendly out-going personalities and our warm and welcoming demeanour. Foreigners seem to like us for our ability to have 'ze craic'.

On the flipside, i'm appalled at our dress sense (not just referring to knackers in tracksuits and pyjamas here). I'm talking about the ordinary man and woman on the street. We are the lepers of Europe when it comes to fashion and knowing how to dress cool. Going out on a Saturday night with Erasmus friends makes me cringe, when i see what people are wearing - or as is mostly the case, what people aren't wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

The thing about being Irish is that there comes a certain element of patriotism for which we don't understand why. What have we got to be proud of? Those who get hot under the collar about accents represent comparable intelligence to that of a rodent.

Our country is a mess.

We're working with legislation passed back in the 1930's that dictate our social values today - no government since has applied any intention to change this. As things stand and even with the current meltdown, it is us, who are actually demanding more Government interference in our everyday lives. Absolutely preposterous.

Unless we elect a new government with an ideology of free civil liberties and and economy that is run by the people, for the people; Ireland will keep descending down that slippery slope into irrelevancy. We fought the British for 800 years, yet we have tried to imitate them at all corners since - we have no notion of how to run a country or create something different, it's just not "us". We'll always be the sidecart to a motorcycle unless there is a drastic overhaul in our attitudes.

Thousands of brave men and women lost their lives for us to hand over our sovereignty to faceless bureaucrats in Brussels. Everything from simple VAT is now dictated from the European Parliament. There is nothing to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tradharte

Irishness is who we are, able to have the craic, knowing how to enjoy ourselves properly! be friendly always have a smile and cherry disposition! :) Our music, stories, culture, really make us stand out from every other country even in our current financial situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

ejmaztec wrote: »
    "DAA Helping you on your way"

I couldn't help but notice when I saw that ad, that some people had been sleeping at the airport for five days because of the feckin snow.

Were they not put up in hotels?

I was stranded in Dusseldorf Airport and they parked my arse here for 3 days all expenses paid:

http://www.maritim.de/de/hotels/deutschland/hotel-duesseldorf

Thanks Aer Fungus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

tradharte wrote: »
    Irishness is who we are, able to have the craic, knowing how to enjoy ourselves properly! be friendly always have a smile and cherry disposition! :) Our music, stories, culture, really make us stand out from every other country even in our current financial situation!

*waits for aniti-irish irishman to attack this*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

you are whats wrong with this country,i hope who ever in your family fought in the easter rising are disgusted with you.
    Well you see a number of my family actually did fight in the rising and following skirmishes. They were disgusted with how Ireland was turning out and that was in the 1970's. Christ knows what they'd think of it now. I can guarantee they'd agree with most of what I wrote. My opinion I didn't lick from a stone.

Of course listening to those men and women talk about those times, marks me out as rare enough, unlike most who claim their rellies were there. Indeed if the those who claim their great grandfather was in "de GPO" actually were, the queue to get into O'Connell street would have stretched to Fairview and the British army would have run away. Didn't quite work like that. Plus lets not forget the 10's of 1000's of Irishmen who died in the muddy trenches of France and Belgium to defend the British empire. Many many more than those who raised a lee enfield at a british soldier in the streets and fields of Ireland. Indeed you're way more likely to have one of those in your family than an Easter riser. An inconvenient truth most Irish choose to ignore.
    *waits for aniti-irish irishman to attack this*
    Rather than blindly follow some invented notion of what it is to be Irish? Yea right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Rather than blindly follow some invented notion of what it is to be Irish? Yea right.

let me guess you are a "european"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Well you see a number of my family actually did fight in the rising and following skirmishes. They were disgusted with how Ireland was turning out and that was in the 1970's. Christ knows what they'd think of it now. I can guarantee they'd agree with most of what I wrote. My opinion I didn't lick from a stone.

My Grandad fought in the skirmishes against the B&Ts, was awarded a fine shield for himself too. Much more of a man than I'll ever be when he lived to be 98 and was in full mental and decent physical health.........hell, he even built the big shed out the back of my family home. :pac:

He lived outside Carrick-On-Shannon but refused to go into it for nearly 2 decades, he always said he'd be heartbroken if he'd seen the place now. Wasn't fond at how soft, materialistic and corrupted the country was becoming.

I'm proud to be an Irish, but I understood what he always meant how this country changed from when he lived around the place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

let me guess you are a "european"
    Hell no(I voted against every EU treaty since Maastricht), but I'm no "shure ain't we great all de same" plastic Paddy either.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    He lived outside Carrick-On-Shannon but refused to go into it for nearly 2 decades, he always said he'd be heartbroken if he'd seen the place now. Wasn't fond at how soft, materialistic and corrupted the country was becoming.
    My lot said kinda similar. Mostly they were very pissed off with how much the church and special interest groups and families had corrupted the place. They reserved particular venom for DeValera. Most were pro treaty types, but the most venom towards Dev came from one who was an anti treaty Dev supporter from early days. Mostly they were pissed off at how the Irish for the most part just sucked it all up. At the time(and cos I was buying the Dev biased history of old Ireland in school) I didnt believe them. The older I get the more I do.

Hell no(I voted against every EU treaty since Maastricht), but I'm no "shure ain't we great all de same" plastic Paddy either.

a plastic paddy is a foreigner of irish descent who thinks the world of ireland and his/her roots,to even refer to the people of ireland as paddys or plastic paddys as you put it is very english,This country is going to the dogs because of people who forget what the freedom fighters fought for,i am in no way a "IRA head" before i get accused of being some keyboard nationlist but we are losing our culture and everything is very american these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

tradharte wrote: »
    Our music, stories, culture, really make us stand out from every other country even in our current financial situation!

Many of the elements which made our culture our own have been marginalised and sent to the periphery of our society - the language, music, oral tradition.

Much of this has been a perfectly natural occurence as a result of modernisation and the influence of popular culture from the US/UK and worldwide.

If we truly believe in a sense of being Irish, we should begin with a concerted effort to revive the language as the primary means of communication in our daily lives.

This is achieveable in the long term but it seems there is little popular desire to achieve it.

We are Irish but we can't speak Irish, difficult to measure what we've lost as a result of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

a plastic paddy is a foreigner of irish descent who thinks the world of ireland and his/her roots,to even refer to the people of ireland as paddys or plastic paddys as you put it is very english,This country is going to the dogs because of people who forget what the freedom fighters fought for,i am in no way a "IRA head" before i get accused of being some keyboard nationlist but we are losing our culture and everything is very american these days.

Well tbh you can't expect a culture to stay static. It will be influenced by other cultures and evolve. It's been happening all over Europe. Even the likes of Brazil, in the upper-middle class areas have teenagers who are wearing abercrombie and act like a stereotypical american teenager. Just the way it is.

Well tbh you can't expect a culture to stay static. It will be influenced by other cultures and evolve. It's been happening all over Europe. Even the likes of Brazil, in the upper-middle class areas have teenagers who are wearing abercrombie and act like a stereotypical american teenager. Just the way it is.

its not the clothes im on about its the way people talk and im talking adults aswell,the D4 thing is just shockingy american,american football has now lurked its way into society and the names of some kids these days you would think they are black americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Proud Ulster Scot, not Irish though.

• Advertisement

its not the clothes im on about its the way people talk and im talking adults aswell,the D4 thing is just shockingy american,american football has now lurked its way into society and the names of some kids these days you would think they are black americans.

tallaghtmick, what parents name their kids is surely up to them? The proliferation of Darrens, Lee, Gary, Deans etc in parts of Dublin is merely a reflection of what parents in those areas are comfortable with. Likewise D4.

In fact, I'd wager D4 have many more kids with native Irish names than most other parishes, the gaelteacht excepted.

KeithAFC wrote: »

get out of this thread non irishman!!!!!!only joking mate :D thats what i like to see,the ulster people from both sides are very proud to be who they are(british/irish) something which is lost down here :(

tallaghtmick, what parents name their kids is surely up to them? The proliferation of Darrens, Lee, Gary, Deans etc in parts of Dublin is merely a reflection of what parents in those areas are comfortable with. Likewise D4.

In fact, I'd wager D4 have many more kids with native Irish names than most other parishes, the gaelteacht excepted.

so would you name your child Alisha or ayesha?

KeithAFC wrote: »

Always wondered why NI tourist board don't make much use of the musical and culturall connections with the Ulster Scots heritage in the Appalachians, Virginias, Kentucky, Georgia etc.

Letting chaps like Edwin Poots near a Culture portfolio may go some way to explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Ah yeah but thats only a minority. Majority of people, as shown by this forum, mock the D4 accent. I wouldn't say that people liking American football is bad, at the end of the day its an entertaining sport and majority of Irish men support an English football club anyway so they are both supporting foreign clubs. Don't know what to say about the names, haven't noticed anything strange about them.

so would you name your child Alisha or ayesha?

Personally, no but if I wanted to name her Caoimhe, Emily or Ayesha what does it matter?

As a nation we're long past the point where I'd be committing cultural pollution of some sort by giving a child a name which deviated from the native rulebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

You can't change your nationality. At the end of the day, I grew up in Ireland and I can't do anything about that. I might as well get on with it than hate myself for something I've no control over.

I'm Irish and growing up here has definitely shaped my personality and views.

All this stuff about the Irish stereotype pisses me off, though. Being friendly, happy, up for the craic, etc. are just personality traits of certain people, the more outgoing ones. Of course, foreigners are going to pick up on that. A pub in Ireland is going to be crammed full of Irish people and the more outgoing ones are more likely to strike up a conversation with foreigners.

FWIW, the accent is a great help with the foreign girls.

Advertisement