Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minecraft is PC Gamers Game of the Year

• 02-01-2011 12:24am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprise surprise

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/pc-gamer-uks-game-of-the-year/

The dream was always Survival multiplayer, though. Fending off monsters with your friends by night, building a castle by day? Oh yes. Right now, you can play a buggy version that renders players and monsters invulnerable, which entirely thwarts the premise of a survival challenge, but there are still restrictions that make it worthwhile. You can’t just build castles like a lunatic anymore – you’ve got to mine those materials first. In some cases, that involves chopping down trees, or turning a cliff into a quarry. For glass, you need to stick a lot of sand in your furnace; for more exotic materials, you need to go deeper underground. Like the early Survival build, it adds meaning to your mansion.

Minecraft-GOTY-5-590x260.jpg

Minecraft sits among the very best of games, just because you can play so many games inside it. It’s a philosophy taken to its natural conclusion in glorious software. It’s a primal urge – to build a goddamn hill fort – in gaming form. Markus has sold enough copies to create an army of bricklayers. This is why Minecraft is the game of 2010.

Thoroughly deserved in my opinion. It's been a great year for PC gaming, but the simplest was easily the best game of 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Very well deserved. It get's my personal "This is Digital Heroine" award which last year went to Dawn of War 2. Yes last year. Minecraft is so durn good I ruled out the rest of 2011s game releases :P

I have been scouring the boards for a Minecraft forum which I now know does not exist and won't for a while given the embargo on forum creation but is there even a thread anyone could point me in the direction of? I've been looking for a decent Irish survival beta server with no PvP or any of that hyper-competitive l33t crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I decided to check this out and see what everyone was harping on about. 10 minutes in and it was the biggest piece of crap I'd every played. 3 hours later I was snapping at anyone who interrupted me from carving out my mine. It's insanely addictive and considering everything it allows you to do, it's ridiculously simply in concept and design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

humanji wrote: »
    I decided to check this out and see what everyone was harping on about. 10 minutes in and it was the biggest piece of crap I'd every played. 3 hours later I was snapping at anyone who interrupted me from carving out my mine. It's insanely addictive and considering everything it allows you to do, it's ridiculously simply in concept and design.

See I went the other way. 3 hours in and it was brilliant and amazing and then the following day I was wondering what exactly was the point. Digging for a handful of minerals and laboriously (sp?) building stuff for no reason.

If they lengthened the day and made night time genuinely dangerous then I could see it being fun spending the day building defences etc.

As it currently stands the game is too much of a sandbox for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Fúcking love this game so much :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I have been scouring the boards for a Minecraft forum which I now know does not exist and won't for a while given the embargo on forum creation but is there even a thread anyone could point me in the direction of? I've been looking for a decent Irish survival beta server with no PvP or any of that hyper-competitive l33t crap.

Here is a server that has a lot of Irish on it, Irish owned and got itself started on boards.ie :D

In this thread..:MajorGamings minecraft Server

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »
    Here is a server that has a lot of Irish on it, Irish owned and got itself started on boards.ie :D

In this thread..:MajorGamings minecraft Server
    Mine too :)

It's in my sig

Class, notch added Cake :) I wonder what else is being added on Friday..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Class, notch added Cake :) I wonder what else is being added on Friday..

That was a lie.

Dammit, was just posting that :p

Bloody portal turning all cake ever into a lie.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i have have absolutely no idea what minecraft is or how it works....but i remain curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

i have have absolutely no idea what minecraft is or how it works....but i remain curious.

According to this thread its a lie. A big tasty sugar filled lie.

It's a 'game' where you dig stuff up and then use the stuff you dug up to build stuff. For absolutely no reason. Unless you've a taste for creativity it gets stale quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

am i the only one that doesnt care much for minecraft ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Im not a big fan either, its a good game and has a really great concept. Its not something i could get addicted to tho, i can imagine it being made into a proper big budget game in a few years tho, that would be class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

It's a 'game' where you dig stuff up and then use the stuff you dug up to build stuff. For absolutely no reason. Unless you've a taste for creativity it gets stale quickly.

That's what put me off trying it tbh... There's only so many penis shaped things you can build before boredom sets in:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Jazzy wrote: »

Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheGodBen

tman wrote: »
    That's what put me off trying it tbh... There's only so many penis shaped things you can build before boredom sets in:(
    Then build some breast mountains and use TNT to blow them up leaving behind a gaping vagina chasm.

This is Minecraft, you can do whatever you like. Build a cathedral, design a redstone contraption, explore some caves, build a boat and explore the seas, blow up an island, set fire to a forest, enter the Nether and battle the giant ghasts, and so on. The game is limited mainly by your creativity and imagination, so if your imagination is only filled with phallic objects... well, I guess there's nothing wrong with that sort of thing. :)

Probably.

i dunno, looks kinda boring

Book - cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I'm one of these people that admire the game, pay attention to it, watch the odd video and read the odd thread, I think the idea is brilliant and fair play to the guy etc.

But I don't play the game lol. Just not to my current taste atm or other games have my attention. Currently playing demon souls for example.

Despite not playing it from what I;ve seen I can see why it deserves pc game of the year, games like this are very important to pc gaming, and gaming in general imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm the same. I haven't touched it cause it looks boring from the videos i've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I havent been on in months. How is Mordor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

played it for a week or two on-and-off, got bored and struggled get any conviction to playing it again, its effectively a virtual lego box (not necessarily a bad thing). imo the game engine is a bit **** tho the performance/appearance tradeoff doesntmake sense.

I'm the same. I haven't touched it cause it looks boring from the videos i've seen.

yeah same. i watched a few vids. its fun to watch, like some guy built this cow launcher thing which was cool, but as for actually wanting to install the game im play it and do things like that myself - i really truly couldnt be arsed. as a mate of mine said "its Aspergers: The Game"

Jumpy wrote: »
    I havent been on in months. How is Mordor?

noone goes there because we cant teleport to you... :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought it woldn't be my game but I tried it and got horribly addicted. Even if you aren't being creative exploring miles and miles of undergroud caverns is more fun than it sounds and in multiplayer it's fantastic. Vying with Demon's Souls for my 2010 game of the year.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought it woldn't be my game but I tried it and got horribly addicted. Even if you aren't being creative exploring miles and miles of undergroud caverns is more fun than it sounds and in multiplayer it's fantastic. Vying with Demon's Souls for my 2010 game of the year.

I struggle a little with the idea of exploring caves. There's nothing unexpected in them :)

I struggle a little with the idea of exploring caves. There's nothing unexpected in them :)
    I think it's the idea that there's just one more twist and turn to go, and then a huge cavern :p

It's slowley replacing Stumble as my online addiction, I love it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

There should be a minecraft forum (on boards)

and this should be the charter

MinecraftCreeper.png

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Oh I don't think it's that bad. You can kill a creeper and it drops gunpowder without exploding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha, that's great to hear. I've heard nothing but great things about the game, how it's all about creativity and game-making and not graphics. Well done Minecraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mileseverett

of course it is its amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 PredaToRxReCoN

Bloody portal turning all cake ever into a lie.... :pac:
    curses i thought the cake wasnt a lie this time :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Go on a server where there are monsters. Who spawn in dark places. You find a cavern, you gotta light it up. Personally, I use torches and lava. But you need to dig down to get lava.

It's not so much as it's addictive, it's more that it takes time to build stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

Well deserved tbh. Shows that graphics dont mean anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Haavar

This game really deserves that imo, it's probably THE best indie game ever developed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Star_Cow

I think minecraft is an awesome game it uses your imagination for the fear facter and also for fun I read this blog a while back but I forgot what URL was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so why the hell you are here? i dont care much about abortions, you dont see mee stalking the clinics.....

Advertisement