Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What size trailer?

• 02-01-2011 12:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a cattle trailer at the moment. So just want to get as much feedback as possible on what lads are using and how they find them.

At the moment I've a double cow box that has seen better days. The brakes aren't up to scratch and it has a door rather than a ramp, it's hard enough to load two, especially if anyway wild.

We've a 12'X7' tractor silage type cattle trailer aswel, which is in very good order only it needs a new floor, which is on my 'to do' list for 2011.

Now I was thinking of buying a 12' IW/Hudson/nugent type trailer, but now I'm not so sure. Alot of the 12' are 5'9", seem wide when pulled behind a jeep.

I suppose what i'm asking is, if I got shot of the old cow box, would I be better going for a tidy 10'X5' or 10'X 5'2"?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

an uncle of mine bought an old model iw 12'6 cow trailer and its going great!! very solid compared to the new ones!! also hear that the hudson trailers are a very good trailer and very solid! if your going bigger i would recommend a porter or hamilton 14' they're fairly big but thats what some people want! my only thought on the 14' trailers is that they're very hard on the jeep and i presume thats what you would be using most of the time! best of luck anyways!!!:) and happy new year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

what will you be pulling it with?

start from the jeep's rated towing weight and work back from there.

i often pull a 6'2" car transporter with the wheels outside the deck, it's around 7'6" wide at the mudguards and I've never once had a problem with the width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

size will depend on your requirements, I took the photo from a thread on another forum, I have the exact same trailer and find that with a half load you need the dividing gate for safety, I also have a 8x5 (both have decks), but find we use the 12 x 5'9 about 90% of the time , I tow it with a patrol but in the past have used a pajero, trailer is serviced every year and we trade in every 4/5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 joeboard

If you have a jeep to pull with would go for the 12x5'9 and maybe get it with the dividing gate not a wide box on the road and can only carry 3 cows and calves, seem to be better seller as well secondhand. Had 2 IW and changed to Hudson last time much sturdier box on the road, the IW cracked at the welds on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

I have an ifor williams 12ft x 6ft 6". its the same as the picture as above. I have exstention gates and a full divider. i find this a very good trailer but you will have to use the divider for safety when pulling smaller loads as said in the thread also. i pull mine with a toyota landcruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Jaysus Lads such a picture! :D If ever their was an advertisement for driving carefully and keeping your trailer brakes serviced!

It's a 2.5 pajero we have. We also have a NH with a 40k box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

oldhead wrote: »
    I have an ifor williams 12ft x 6ft 6". its the same as the picture as above. I have exstention gates and a full divider. i find this a very good trailer but you will have to use the divider for safety when pulling smaller loads as said in the thread also. i pull mine with a toyota landcruiser.
    we have the same trailer , we bought it between ourselves and our cousins - who have sheep and cattle - there are decks in it , we pull it with an isuzu trooper , we also have the dividing gate ... works well for us and it lowered the initial cost.... only annoying thing is when we go to collect the trailer and the decks are down:(

oldhead wrote: »
    I have an ifor williams 12ft x 6ft 6". its the same as the picture as above.

Not being padantic... but aren't the 6'6" trailers the ones with the wheels underneath? I THINK the widest IW trailer with wheels out the side are 6'... ??:confused:

Wheels out the side vs underneath.... what are the pros and cons?

Muckit wrote: »

Wheels out the side vs underneath.... what are the pros and cons?

wheels underneath

Pros :: safer on narrow roads, less chances of tyre/axel damage in the soft margin, safer for overtaking pedestrians, cyclists, etc.

Cons :: more prone to overturning especially with a blow out puncture
    tyres are more prone to punctures
    more difficult to tow in the fields in wet conditions (this is important to us as we use a mobile sheep handling unit)

IMO the cons out way the pros

Jaysus Lads such a picture! :D If ever their was an advertisement for driving carefully and keeping your trailer brakes serviced!

It's a 2.5 pajero we have. We also have a NH with a 40k box.

the trailer had 3 cattle on board and I thin was doing about 40mph , no gate AFAIK

BTW you will need an EB license for driving the jeep, this has been discussed on another thread

if you are think of using the NH I would think about the Nugent , they are a heavier box and very well made but we will stay with IW as they have served us well in the past

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

snowman707 wrote: »
    the trailer had 3 cattle on board and I thin was doing about 40mph , no gate AFAIK

BTW you will need an EB license for driving the jeep, this has been discussed on another thread

if you are think of using the NH I would think about the Nugent , they are a heavier box and very well made but we will stay with IW as they have served us well in the past

I know alot of lads will go mad when i say this but those landrover defenders are cat..the uncle had one and he said it was hopeless to tow and like a pig on roller blades on the road so maybe that was the issue along with the 3 cattle moving about in the box..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have a crooks 10 x 5 that the old man bought 15 years ago. It has done a lot of work and is still as good as the first day. Crooks make great trailers. Its very easy pulled. I have a 2.5l L200. Its also easy pulled after any car or small van - as we did for years.

Bought a New Nugent 12 x 5'9 2 years ago. It was very keenly prices at EUR4100 - I was looking for a 3 or 4 year old Ifor Williams at the time (One with sealed wheel bearings) but after looking at several around the EUR 4K mark, I decided that the Nugent would be a better buy. Its a great trailer with a dividing gate and a slurry tank. It also came with a spare wheel. Its a very steady trailer on the road, the L200 never had a problem with it. Brakes are very good on it, its fitted with led lights. I'm very happy that I bought it. Its made from good stuff. Although if I'm only bringing a small load, I always bring the crooks trailer. Its so easy pulled. The bigger trailer behind the jeep will see the diesel hand move south a lot faster.

reilig wrote: »
    I have a crooks 10 x 5 that the old man bought 15 years ago. It has done a lot of work and is still as good as the first day. The bigger trailer behind the jeep will see the diesel hand move south a lot faster.

See Reilig, this is where my indecision lies. I'd a MINT '08 hudson 12'X5'9" box almost bought during the Christmas for around the €3,000, it had the dividing gate/no tank/no spare wheel, but was still a cracking trailer for the money IMO. Even coming out the drive I felt I was leaving a bargain behind.

However REALISTICALLY when i went home and thought about it, I was relieved that I hadn't. We simply don't do the work to justify a trailer that size behind a jeep. And as you said, the diesel burning is a BIG factor with me, and should be with everyone, what with the price of it now:rolleyes:

As you pointed out, there still is a need for a small and a large trailer in a man's yard. The picture of that jeep confirms!

I'm going to put a bit of effort and money into replacing the floor in our MJ Quinn 12'X7' tractor trailer. I suoppose sometimes you don't appreciate what you've got. She'I bring 7-8 big cattle which no jeep trailer will (it has the width for cattle to fit across). Yes granted they're not as easy load, but strip her down and she'I bring 4 tonne manure home, put on the box for the turf. If I had bought the hudson the tyres would probably have perished on it before they would have worn and they're be an inch of moss on it!:rolleyes:

My 8' cow box needs to be replaced though, not in good condition, especially brake wise. So I think looking on donedeal, I'I go for a new or newish 8X5 with a ramp, I think. Should have no probs bringing two factory cows with the 5' rather than a 4'7", and she'd be hitched up alot quicker to collect other bits and bobs. Well, that's my plan at the mo :rolleyes:

I know alot of lads will go mad when i say this but those landrover defenders are cat..the uncle had one and he said it was hopeless to tow and like a pig on roller blades on the road so maybe that was the issue along with the 3 cattle moving about in the box..

AFAIK there was different engines fitted in them after '03, I'm open to correction. An uncle of mine had a '03 LWB pulled 14' J Murphy aerlite trailer no probs. He LOVES it, but I think they're more of a tractor in disguise than a jeep:D

Be it car or jeep, it's hard beat the japs for comfort and reliability :D

I know, I started that thread :D I've applied for the test so hopefully it'I come up in the next few weeks!

Looked at new nugents over the Christmas €4,500 for a new 10'X5'6"
    Pro trailers, Athlone. They're THE best built trailer IMO, don't look as 'tidy', but they are seriously strong, they have the steel in them

Looked at new nugents over the Christmas €4,500 for a new 10'X5'6"
    Pro trailers, Athlone. They're THE best built trailer IMO, don't look as 'tidy', but they are seriously strong, they have the steel in them

you should look at these
    http://www.portertrailers-tractors.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16&Itemid=10
    I think the 12 x 5"9 is €5400 new

Yes, there's no denying they are sturdy, even more so than the Nugent. But maybe a bit too 'over engineered', compromising lightness and thus running costs.

I see also that they're trailers are 6' wide even with wheels 'out the side', which is seriuosly wide IMO for towing behind a jeep, GET OFF THE ROAD CYCLISTS! :D

Horses for courses though. Fair enough if you wanted a rugged trailer to stand up to years of dogs abuse and you were 'jobbin' everyday. But you'I still only ever see maybe 1 or 2 in any mart carpark, and even then it's usually a special pedigree sale. Speaks for itself.

edit: speaking of sturdy trailer, JIM MURPHY (Aerlite) in Tuam, Co. Galway makes a fine trailer too, and are very popular around here. I must price him to see how he fars out on pricewise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Muckit, once you have a 12' box, you'll wonder how you managed without it. These boxes are being pulled by Pajeros like yours for the last 15+ years and IMO comparing the relative economy of a jeep plus 8 or 10 foot box versus 12 footer won't show any worthwhile difference. We've a 12' Ifor Williams bought new in 2003 and while stock numbers are not exactly high, I'd be seriously considering a tri-axle 14' if I was ever changing.
    I personally feel that 10' boxes are a pointless item: Lacking the capacity of the 12' and not easily pulled by a car like the 8' is.

Muckit, once you have a 12' box, you'll wonder how you managed without it. These boxes are being pulled by Pajeros like yours for the last 15+ years and IMO comparing the relative economy of a jeep plus 8 or 10 foot box versus 12 footer won't show any worthwhile difference. We've a 12' Ifor Williams bought new in 2003 and while stock numbers are not exactly high, I'd be seriously considering a tri-axle 14' if I was ever changing.
    I personally feel that 10' boxes are a pointless item: Lacking the capacity of the 12' and not easily pulled by a car like the 8' is.

Having both sizes, I can guarantee you that the 10x5 is far easier pulled than the 12x5'9. It narrowness means that it doesn't catch the wind as much as the wider box. It is much lighter and in the long run, it is very noticably easier on fuel in the jeep than the 12ft box. I'd only consider buying a 12ft if you needed it. I know that the extra space is great, but if the max that you ever want it for is to bring 2 cows in then the smaller trailer would be the best buy in the long run.

Bitten and hisses,

I'm afraid we'I have to agree to differ on the affect of trailer size on fuel consumption. I'm still of the opinion that a bigger trailer would bring with it a bigger fuel spend, not to mention extra wear and tear on the jeep.

The oul' lad was saying it to me from the start, but I wouldn't listen to him:D. The main thing I have noticed with our own situation was that when we wanted to bring 2 cows to the factory, they wouldn't go up in our 'double' cow box. I still haven't put a tape to her, but looking on the net I'd say she'd wel shy of the 5'. If I had a genuine 8' X 5' I reckon I'd have had no problems bringing them. Put a ramp instead of a door into the equation and I'd say a man would load 2 fine sized cows no problem.

So if anyone knows or has contacts for a NEW or newish 8'X5' (might consider a 10', but no bigger), galvanised chassis, preferably with a ramp, let me know!

• Advertisement

Bitten and hisses,

I

So if anyone knows or has contacts for a NEW or newish 8'X5' (might consider a 10', but no bigger), galvanised chassis, preferably with a ramp, let me know!

Peter Hosey , Edenderry
    Westwood trailers Naas
    SMS Kilkenny
    Raymond White Longford

all of above carry good secondhand or new stock

Peter Hosey , Edenderry
    Westwood trailers Naas
    SMS Kilkenny
    Raymond White Longford

all of above carry good secondhand or new stock

Thanks snowman707, have you dealt with any of these lads personally? Seen a few trailers on the net (donedeal and trailerchoice) from all of them and didn't see anything I liked.

Thanks snowman707, have you dealt with any of these lads personally? Seen a few trailers on the net (donedeal and trailerchoice) from all of them and didn't see anything I liked.

I have always dealt with westwood in naas, maybe not the cheapest but very honest and provide great back up, while we do most of our servicing we find them very helpful with advise and dispatching parts etc

I have seen some secondhand stuff bought from them and they were very well serviced before sale,

I notice quite a number of imported (uk) boxes at the marts with sms kilkenny stickers. and I think they have a good bunch of repeat customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

you wouldn't go wrong with either SMS or West Wood. I have dealt with SMS, my brother has dealt with West Wood. SMS is a family-run operation and usually have a decent amount of stock.

Lads yer not going to believe this.............

Got quoted €4,100 for a TA5 Ivor Williams 8'X5' this evening!!:eek:

I don't think he knows there's a recession on! Oh wel, at least I got a free brochure! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Jim Murphy Trailers in Tuam will make a trailer to your specs at no extra charge. Top class service too. Br in law bought from him in late 2009 & I have to say its the bees knees. And would beat that price too !!!

Lads yer not going to believe this.............

Got quoted €4,100 for a TA5 Ivor Williams 8'X5' this evening!!:eek:

I don't think he knows there's a recession on! Oh wel, at least I got a free brochure! :D

I bought my new Nugent 12 x 5'9 Nugent at that price this time 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Saw that nugent 10x5 one on donedeal, reckon something would have to be wrong with it at that price

• Advertisement

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Saw that nugent 10x5 one on donedeal, reckon something would have to be wrong with it at that price

Its not a nugent. Its a Dyna Power. I've seen only 1 around. Grand trailer for a farmer, but light enough if you're going to be doing a lot of hauling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 glenrover

Buying a jeep 12ft x 5ft 10" double axle trailer.Considering Ifor williams nugent (new type) and maybe a hudson.Am considering a new one cos the price difference is marginal between a very good second hand and a brand new one.I am very impressed withthe porter trailer made in Castlederg,Co Tyrone as i saw one recently at Balla mart and have since looked at website.Does anybody have any experience of them.Are they easy pulled.I have used an Ifor Williams and it is easily towed.Your comments greatly appreciated on above.

glenrover wrote: »
    Buying a jeep 12ft x 5ft 10" double axle trailer.Considering Ifor williams nugent (new type) and maybe a hudson.Am considering a new one cos the price difference is marginal between a very good second hand and a brand new one.I am very impressed withthe porter trailer made in Castlederg,Co Tyrone as i saw one recently at Balla mart and have since looked at website.Does anybody have any experience of them.Are they easy pulled.I have used an Ifor Williams and it is easily towed.Your comments greatly appreciated on above.

ya have one, good trailer,had a bateson before which was harder pull, even gates at the back of the porter trailer much stronger than some of other brands like williams, porter doing a lighter ver as well now but you would be as well get the strong one i reckon

Advertisement