Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear For Beginner

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Howdy, I've been surfing a few time last year and really got into it. I always rented the boards and suits...but now the time has come to buy my own board and suit.

I'm finding all the info a tad overwhelming though. Regarding the board, I basically want a second hand piece of crap for a beginner. Any advice on what to buy and where to find it. What type of board? Length? etc...

As for the suit, I reckon I'll try and splash out and buy one of a decent standard.

All advice welcome:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Get a BIC "funboard" or mini-mal. Length generally about a foot and a half taller than you are (or if you're heavy for your height, maybe go a bit larger than that)

They take a good bit of bashing and you can catch everything on them even if they aren't the most maneuverable. You can get decent 4/3 wetsuits for about 100 squid if you look around properly. I'd advise you to get a rashie. Get a hood and gloves if you wanna surf this time of year.

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/mini-mals-c29.html for the board

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ruanaidh

Where do you surf most often? Why not call in to the local surf shops and support the local economy by buying your surf gear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dave_brent

try your local surf shop... some have a good range of 2nd hand boards, some shops/schools sell off 2nd hand wetsuits... Some surf shops offer a beginner package (board, leash, bag, wetsuit etc)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

ruanaidh wrote: »
    Where do you surf most often? Why not call in to the local surf shops and support the local economy by buying your surf gear there.

Be careful that they don't rip you off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Careful of the wee wee phenomenom in 2nd hand wetsuits.The smell and feel of some other persons fear can set you back.Local surf shops are the way to go for 2nd hand boards but buy a new suit and booties:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I got 2nd hand c-skins 3/2 wetsuit for 80 squid from a surf school and is absolutely fantastic. If I was renting it all the times I had it on me last year, I would paid more. (Please, translate it to the correct English grammar, please.)
    Using Bic Mini-Mal, I have to admit that the board seems indestructible. I can compare only to foamies and soft-top boards, but the Bic feels heavy, sluggish and hurts when it lands on my head. But what could I know, I am just bloody eejit beginner ;)
    And about booties, I have attached the car key to the zipper on one of those, so I am wearing them all the time and really cannot see any disadvantage, so I am recommending ones too. And they are also second hand (or foot) too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Some good starter packs in the local shops in Bundoran and Lahinch.

Includes boards, wetsuit and leash.

Support the lrish Surfing industry and the local ecomany, its the only way we can move this country forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Have to agree on buying locally, the day you need wax just before you get in or snap your leash and need a quick replacement for the afternoon session, that's when you'd regret the local shops falling to the internet. Good local advice and a chat etc are worth the few quid you'd save. So long as you're not being ripped off, some places will match internet prices if you ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

A lot of people are buying wetsuits online now as they are half the priced as the surf shops.

A lot of the surf shops in Ireland and totally overpriced and should not be supported for the sake of it. They should lower their prices.

Also some of the surf shops in Lahinch could do with being a little bit friendlier to be honest. One in particular. I am not the only one saying this, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

yeah i wouldn't support brainless support of local shops either but would give them a chance. I do know what you mean about some surf shop staff acting a bit like they're doing you a favour but they're def not all like that. I haven't bought a suit in ages my ones are holding together thankfully, when i do need one i will check the net prices and see what the local shops can do for me compared to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Please don’t take this as a dig at you but lots of beginners have asked the same questions before and if you search the forum you will get answers.

To give a better answer we’d need to know you age, height, weight. It all comes in to play. As well as how often you will get to go surfing.

If you are 13 and live by a good break then you’d be up an running quicker than an older person living in Dublin who surfs every two weeks.

First thing to do is think about a club, for example some have boards that beginners can try… you’ll find a list on the Irish surfing associations web site. www.isasurf.ie

Next is wet suit, if you can get a loan of a board you will still need a suit.

Generally 5/3 and about is a winter suit a 3/2 is a summer suit. I’ve a 6/4/3 suit that’s 6mm tick on the body, 4 on the legs and 3 on the arms. It is to warm for the summer and in the summer I use a 4/3. Ireland is a bit cold for a 3/2 suit . Starting out get a 5/3 suit as it will be warm enough for winter use but not to hot in the summer. If you are cold you can add a “rash vest” under it to bulk it up. In winter you’ll freeze with out glove and boots. Most people (90%) also get a hood for winter. Get 5 to 7mm boots and 3 to 5 mm gloves both one size to small, if you take size 10 shoes get size 9 as they need to be a snug fit.

For a board it needs to be about 18 inches taller than you and about 22 inches wide.
    But still must fit under you arm you need to be able to carry it in windy weather…

A 7’6 min mal or a long board would be a good starting point, weight depending….

If you are a 13 year old squirt living by the sea… you would probably progress faster than an old fart so maybe get a shorter board… ask a surf school or shop.

You can pick up second hand board easily online but make sure it’s not a wreck, and in bits. Anything that’s gone brown in the sun or has a soft spongy feel to the fibre glass won’t last. Have a look on www.adverts.ie www.gumtree.ie and www.doendeal.ie if you see something you like you can always post it up here.

This is an example of an ok board bit a bit over priced probably a bit advanced for you
    http://www.adverts.ie/water-sports/surfboard-8-0/388820

This is an old heap of junk 80 euros max.
    http://www.adverts.ie/water-sports/surfboard/383609

Also watch out for cheap imports for South Africa and China, some a good the rest are terrible.

This looks suspect http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/43/66520543.html

You can shop online and save a good bit but for the suit fit is important you’d be better off getting it in a shop. Make sure you are 100% happy with the fit don’t buy it if you aren’t. Most shops sell two to 3 brands other will sell something else shop around and try them on….

Lastly look at www.kingofwaterspots.com it will give you a feel for what’s out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

for weatsuits i recommend wetsuitoutlet.co.uk

i'm a regular costumer, never had any problems and i think they do a great price on wetsuits

to add some information, you need to be aware of what wetsuit brand to get - not everybody fits in the same wetsuits--

i'm 5'5/200pounds and billabong and quicksilver are not at all my size (i get the feeling they're designed for skinnier/taller people than me)-- my suits are a 5/3 rip-curl-core for winter (which is still what i use in the summer here in ireland) and a 3/2 bodyglove-vapor for the portuguese summer (well, after a few years in ireland, last october i was still surfing on shorts and rash and still feeling very warm) - if most of my weight came from beer/kebab i think gul would have to be my choice

as for new vs. old - wee-wee factor for me is crucial - i rather not surf than rent or buy a 2nd hand suit

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

If it's your first wetsuit, you'd be better to go to a shop. Size and fit are paramount. It's also messy (& expensive) to return a wetsuit in the post.

I'm 6ft, beginner/improving (:rolleyes:) and I have a 7ft 6" nsp funboard. The learning curve is steep but I'm comfortable with it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

for weatsuits i recommend wetsuitoutlet.co.uk

a 3/2 [bodyglove-vapor for the portuguese summer (well, after a few years in ireland, last october i was still surfing on shorts and rash and still feeling very warm) - if most of my weight came from beer/kebab i think gul would have to be my choice

A beginner friend ( on a budget ) tried on both these makes of suits recently, in 5/3mm thickness, as well as an o'neiil and a c-skin, in a shop in Sligo. The Gul fitted his body shape best, and was within his budget, he went it in the end, but nearly went for the Body Glove. Interestingly the price for both these new winter suits in the Sunset shop was € 125 each, which is about the same / near enough what that cheap place in England you recommend, wetsuitsuitoutlet.co.uk, charge.
    Surrender wrote: »
    If it's your first wetsuit, you'd be better to go to a shop. Size and fit are paramount. It's also messy (& expensive) to return a wetsuit in the post.
    I agree 100%, its best to try on different wetsuits. Also as someone else said " the day you need wax just before you get in or snap your leash and need a quick replacement for the afternoon session, that's when you'd regret the local shops falling to the internet."

i've been using the rip-curl core for a while - i suppose that's why i wouldn't go to a local shop and pay 200 quid for it (as sometimes i see advertised) instead of getting it for half the price online

i know that local shops have to make a living and pay for electricity and employees and yada-yada-yada but, sometimes, the prices are just prohibitive

Sometimes the local shops are as cheap though. The English firm you mention has to pay electricity and employees and delivery too. They charge 102 sterling for the Gul 5/3 Response, which is about 122 euro. They are 125 euro in Sligo, and you can try them on, so you do not have to worry about the cost / hassle of returning a wetsuit in the post to England. Buy online if you like, but there is a lot to be said for trying on different makes and sizes to get the fit right, especially when the price is near enough the same.

I'm not disagreeing with you - but only as far as first suit

For other suits too, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I think it best to try them on and buy in Ireland when the price is the same or lower than buying from England. Now the vat rate is only 1% between the two countries...I think a year or two ago it was a 6.5% difference. I know when I got my last suit, a top of the range suit ( a c-skins Wired ) I looked at prices in 5 or 6 places online in UK but the price I got it for here in Ireland ( Sligo ) was just as good as anything online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SteviePitt

Buying boards,wetsuits,booties etc, from your local surf shop is always good . Lahinch, Bundoran, Dingle,Achill , I'm certain they all have good 2nd hand boards and wetsuits for a very reasonable price. If your in the Dublin area TheGreatOutdoors supposedly has good gear too. As many have said...all really depends on ur height,age,weight, if your near a local break for the board. 6ft8 - 7ft4 (bic,NSP)

Advertisement