Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to see in one month:Destination=USA

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi I hope this is in the right forum! Some friends and I have decided to travel Usa for the summer 2011. We have decided that we will spend the month of July in Usa. The problem we are experiencing is deciding on which state/states to visit. Please suggest some state(s) for us to visit which will be worthwhile
    There is about seven us between the ages of 20-23 and we are interested in sightseeing, having a good time and getting the american experience. Aswell as shopping :) :cool:

Please help us decide I would love to hear peoples experiences!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You can see a lot in a month.... can you give us more of an idea what you want to do/ see? What is your budget? Are you planning on renting a car (if not, your options are severely curtailed).

To start with:
    - New York for shopping and sightseeing
    - LA for shopping and fun (Universal Studios, Venice Beach)
    - Washington DC for museums/ sightseeing.
    - Florida for the beach, also Kennedy Space Center and Disney World.
    - Nashville for music.
    - Las Vegas for gambling, fun, events (also go visit Grand Canyon).
    - Yosemite National Park for nature/ camping

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mater1990

We are all working so we are tempted to splash the cash and make a great experience out of it with about $5000 plus in our pockets! We are considering driving. We are interested in seeing and doing everything sure you are only young once! Would you recommend visiting a few states or would it be better to visit two nearby states? Thanks for your feedback it's a great help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭cheesehead

Sounds like this could be an epic good time or an exercise in herding cats!

One thing jumping out at me: sounds like not everybody is of legal drinking age (folks between 20 -23). This could present a problem if the 20 y/o's are looking to join the 21 and overs at the bar. Of course, like many resourceful under 21's in the US, there are ways around this (board rules prohibit from encouraging illegal activity) - but you should know the legal drinking age in the US is 21 and is often fairly strictly enforced (not uniformly) in most places. Also, while I believe folks under 25 can now rent a car in the US (from at least some car-rental places), you will pay a surcharge for being under 25. Just some practical things to investigate before making your journey.

Now, where to go? Ireland is approximately the size of the state of Indiana (just to give some perspective). The Southern states (Florida/Georgia/Texas.etc) and Southwestern states (Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada) tend to be extremely hot (and can be humid - particularly in the Southern region) in July. This is not to dissuade you from visiting these places, but if you are like my Irish cousins who have come for a summer visit, this heat can certainly impact the traveler. Also, costs vary greatly in the US. Generally, coastal regions (Boston-NYC-Washington D.C. corridor on the East Coast and San Diego-LA-San Francisco on the West Coast) tend to be more expensive. Again, just some practical info when planning the journey.

Seven young people - fair to assume seven different agendas? So I'll give you a couple different scenarios I would do with four weeks in July.

1) Head to the Mountain West (Colorado/Wyoming/Montana etc). Do white water rafting/mountain-biking/hiking/sightseeing in the mountains. Summer weather is generally excellent. Many of the Rocky Mountain Ski-towns tend to have a very youthful/party-going element in the summer months (the winter ski-bums need stuff to do in the summer) - so best of both worlds - great sightseeing and adventure during the day and great nightlife after the daytime activity is done. Mountain altitude takes a day or two to get used to, but generally not a problem. After time in the Rockies, head to Northern California (San Fran) or Pacific Northwest (Portland/Seattle) or stay flexible and visit that cattle ranch/wheat ranch of the folks you just met from Montana who's great-great-grandfather came from Ireland and they would love to have you out to the ranch for a visit (stuff like this will happen).

2) Stay East coast and do the Boston-New York-Philly-Washington D.C. thing. Definitely more urban sightseeing type stuff, but easy enough to get to an ocean (and definitely easier to do the East Coast without a car). Young Americans from Boston seeking the summer ocean (meaning your age folks) tend to head down to Newport, Rhode Island area or Cape Cod, New Yorkers tend to head towards the Hamptons or Fire Island (on Long Island) or the Jersey Shore. Philly folks head towards the Jersey Shore. All these areas have great beach areas and lively (and young) night life.

3) Just do the California thing: San Diego - LA - San Francisco

P.S. I think Chicago is tough to top in July (great weather and much to do), I just don't know one can justify four weeks in the Midwest (assuming you were to decide to stay just in the Midwest).

Anyway, just some thoughts. Have a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I would do several areas, to get a varied experience, unless you are all really into one thing (hiking, shopping, museums etc). It all depends on personal preference of course, but I'd probably do something like this:
    - Arrive in New York, spend a week partying, sightseeing and shopping.
    - Go to Washington DC, spend 4-6 days sightseeing and museums (Smithsonian alone could take a week if you want to see all of it!).
    - Fly to Florida, rent cars, do Kennedy Space Center (1 day) and Disney (2 days), a few days relaxing on the beach or partying in Miami (1 week)
    - Fly to Vegas for a couple of days gambling and take in a concert, visit Grand Canyon.
    - Spend the last few days/ week in LA, more shopping and sightseeing, maybe a daytrip to Mexico.

You could reverse that itinary, that way your last ten days to two weeks are in NY and DC, no cars needed, and you could easily do different stuff if you're sick of eachother :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Good point on the age thing.

Being in Las Vegas and being under-21 wouldnt be much fun. America is incredibly strict about drinking ages.

Also its worth checking about car hire and insurance rates if under 25. It could get Expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 mater1990

Thanks ye have been so helpful! We decided on travelling to a few places so our plan is now San Fran for two weeks, Las Vegas for four days and New York for a week and a bit! But I will be planning to go to all the places mention some day !Thank you! The one pain we have now is getting a good deal with flights!
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I did a similar trip with the girlfriend last summer.... she could only get 3 weeks off work so time was tight.

we went Toronto (visit Niagara Falls) ...
    - then San Fran (Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, sightseeing and shopping) ,
    - Hawaii...the Big Island (walk on Lava...yes... get 20feet from flowing lava)
    - Maui...chill out ...fantastic Sunsets, Diving, Snorkeling
    - Las Vegas (Grand Canyon, Gambling etc)
    - New York (shopping, sightseeing and enjoy the atmosphere)

would have loved more time in each place - except Vegas - 3/4days is enough.... San Fran is fantastic, cycling to sausilito across the bridge, going up nob hill just wandering through chinatown etc.

if you sit everyone down in the group and ask.... what do people want .... adventure, partying, experiences.... relaxing.

if organised properly.... you can make everyone happy - Vegas is great for a weekend (I do not recommend the helicopter and skywalk tour - I think Maverick was the name.... helicopter over the grand canyon maybe...but we paid about $500 each for helicopter over the grand canyon and had 10mins max at the Canyon)

theres so much to fit in..... if trying to goto Alcatraz or Statue of Liberty Crown ...book it early !!! and make sure to get everyones name correct, americans are quite anal about wrong name being on the ticket. (homeland security...go figure)

Keep the shopping in NY for the return part of the journey....too much extra clothes to be carrying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

silja wrote: »
    I would do several areas, to get a varied experience, unless you are all really into one thing (hiking, shopping, museums etc). It all depends on personal preference of course, but I'd probably do something like this:
    - Arrive in New York, spend a week partying, sightseeing and shopping.
    - Go to Washington DC, spend 4-6 days sightseeing and museums (Smithsonian alone could take a week if you want to see all of it!).
    - Fly to Florida, rent cars, do Kennedy Space Center (1 day) and Disney (2 days), a few days relaxing on the beach or partying in Miami (1 week)
    - Fly to Vegas for a couple of days gambling and take in a concert, visit Grand Canyon.
    - Spend the last few days/ week in LA, more shopping and sightseeing, maybe a daytrip to Mexico.

You could reverse that itinary, that way your last ten days to two weeks are in NY and DC, no cars needed, and you could easily do different stuff if you're sick of eachother :P

You may want to stay away from the Mexican border towns. There is an actual drug war that seems to be underway along the border. Innocent American tourists have been killed, presumably to send a message. Although you are Irish, I don't think they are asking for passports or identification before shooting.

Sorry to be a downer. Graphic images.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110109/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_drug_war_mexico

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/01/violent-mexican-drug-gangs-pose-rising-risk-to-ame/

http://borderviolenceanalysis.typepad.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Definitely visit Colorado if you're looking for "The American Experience". It's right out on the frontier, beautiful state, with sound people. There's a lot to do there, and a ridiculous amount to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Hoping to do a road trip myself with a couple in august/september and at the moment this is my plan

- NYC
    - Boston
    - Niagara Falls
    - Chicago
    - Memphis
    - Nashville
    - New Orleans
    - Up though Colorado
    - Monument Valley
    - Vancouver
    - Seattle
    - Portland
    - San Fran
    - Vegas inc Canyon
    - LA
    - San Diego and back up to LA to head on to Hawaii

Just something to give you an idea of what kinda trip im doing as might help. Only reason not hitting the east coast coz have roadtripped NYC - Miami last year. Def recommend it....Washington, phili, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami....i still really want to drive the bridge to the Keys...maybe ill change my plans

TrekAmerica have some good deals and i think if there are 7 or more you can pretty much make up your own itinerary based on sample routes. be worth a look as wouldnt have to worry about driving after beering the night before etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

id start in boston and travel north and see some of new england

then down to new york for 3/4 days

then over to vegas across to oregon and then down into california and fly back from cali

edit; i think one month isnt long enough to do a driving holiday unless you are going to restrict to one coast or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

Hey!
    Me and some friends are going to do a J1 in Chicago this summer but intend to spend the last month travelling. What kind of route would ye recommend on a tight budget!!

Advertisement