Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarms

• 02-01-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi Guy's

Anyone know where i can get a D.I.Y house alarm kit. Or even what companies in Waterford sell house alarms and what kinda price it cost for a detached house.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Is your house pre-wired for an alarm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

suirfire wrote: »
    Hi Guy's

Anyone know where i can get a D.I.Y house alarm kit. Or even what companies in Waterford sell house alarms and what kinda price it cost for a detached house.

Cheers.

Not sure of prices etc. for Waterford but to be honest some say fake alarm boxes mounted on your outside wall are as effective. Atlantic Homecare and the like do the DIY house kits but everything is much cheaper on Amazon.co.uk and Ebay. I am based in Cork, but we paid something like 1500 in the boomtime to wire up our house (3 storey detached) with a proper box with a flashing light high up and visible outside, and 2 fake boxes, and alarms on each window and outside doors. Extensive wiring throughout the house which is why it was so expensive. We did not get the movement sensors as we have a dog (some say the best defence of all) and a cat. You usually pay the install company a set-fee to do annual maintenance. You then pay a separate fee to a monitoring company who are in charge of calling you and other numbers you designate one by one until someone answers if your alarm goes off and is not switched off within 30 seconds to a minute. This fee for our monitoring is about €150 including vat., can't remember the maintenance fee.

If you want to do it on the cheap, I'd go on to Amazon.co.uk and depending on how DIY orientated you are, buy yourself some fake cameras and security boxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

J.E.C. Security , waterford. nuf said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

argos do cheap wireless alarms.some of the alarms they sell will txt your phone(and 2 other phones)if the alarm goes off.all you need is a sim card for it.you can buy a basic kit and even add to it if you need.most of these alarms come with a working box and a dummy box for outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevthefonz

under irish law, its actually illegal to install an alarm in your own home unless you're a registered and certified installer. try Lyons Group http://www.lyonsgroup.ie/ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

kevthefonz wrote: »
    under irish law, its actually illegal to install an alarm in your own home unless you're a registered and certified installer. try Lyons Group http://www.lyonsgroup.ie/ :)

thats a load of bull**** and you know it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I don't think its illegal but a lot of home insurance companies do ask if your alarm was installed by an registered installer and if it wasn't they they will add a fair chunk to your home insurance premium..

Just one thing to consider, as you may end up saving in the long run by going with a registered company.. its probably all a money making racket but what can you do if the insurance companies are requiring it.. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KK red

Eh, just a point, its not bull****!! You should look at the psa website, and the info on the laws are there. What is ****ed up tho, is that if you get an alarm in by a non registered installer and get a knock on the door, its not the installing company who gets fined, its the house or business owner. Laws in this country are mental, but they are the laws. And the guy who recomended Lyons Group wasnt far off. They did a few alarms around here and seem really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

KK red wrote: »
    Eh, just a point, its not bull****!! You should look at the psa website, and the info on the laws are there. What is ****ed up tho, is that if you get an alarm in by a non registered installer and get a knock on the door, its not the installing company who gets fined, its the house or business owner. Laws in this country are mental, but they are the laws. And the guy who recomended Lyons Group wasnt far off. They did a few alarms around here and seem really good.

Mr Lyons, I have a house prewired. 4 windows front, 3 rear. Front and Rear Door, garage extension not wired. So presumably, 9 entry points wired. One needs to be wireless. Would ideally like sim card dialler, perhaps web connection. What do you charge for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Hi,

My advice to you is -

If you buy a house alarm system from a non-registered alarm company, you will be fined by the Government. Please see www.psa.gov.ie

There are many special offers at present with J.E.C Security Ltd. as I recently purchased my own home alarm from them, as did my friend. Please see www.jecsecurity.com.

They were recommended to me by my local Credit Union as J.E.C Security do the security systems there.

When they finished installing they cleaned up after themselves. It was like they were never there at all.

Give them a call on 051-371411.

I found them to be most reliable, they called when they said that they would call, on time, well mannered and very efficient.

I could not fault them in the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KK red

The JEC Security recomendation is right, they are the biggest in waterford after all. We have a JEC alarm in a warehouse and they are always 100%. We just found them a bit expensive. Either way tho, best bet is to shop around. Theres loads of companies, Im sure different people have different views on different companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭altor

danjo-xx wrote: »
    thats a load of bull**** and you know it.

You are 100% correct danjo-xx.

It is illegal to employ a non registered installer to install an alarm system in your home.

You can install an alarm system in your own home, that is not against the law.

If you look at the PSA website only people installing alarms for payment that are not certified to do so are being brought to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

guys ended up getting the alarm of CTS (http://www.ctstech.ie/)
    Have to say they were great, got a very good deal and de lads that installed de alarm were spot on

would recommended them to anyone looking for a alarm :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sure I might as well join the pack..

Alpha Alarms
    "The Alarm & Security Experts"

Coming soon.... But call me now for a free quotation! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

KK red wrote: »
    The JEC Security recomendation is right, they are the biggest in waterford after all. We have a JEC alarm in a warehouse and they are always 100%.
    Id definitely have to agree with that. And you couldnt deal with anyone nicer than Carmel in the office. Shes a sound skin and always does her best to help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Shark

DFS security are great to deal with, Good prices and good after service,
    Would recomend them to anyone as they do all the phonewatch work in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sssssssexy

hi lads, just want to say we have a J.E.C intruder alarm and a fire alarm in the office building i work in. It was only the other day i had two JEC lads in the office servicing the fire alarm system and i must say i found the two lads very friendly and pleasant to deal with. Im sure all the lads are the same but top marks to the fire alarm lads that day:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hoping someone might know costings considering the wealth of knowledge here - we are about to get our wired system serviced and brought back to life by a new company as we let it lapse for the last year and the company we got it from originally has since gone bust (and were a useless shower anyway) - anyway the company I got up seem efficient and reasonable in terms of their maintenance contract etc.

However I do need (might have wording wrong) a GSM unit installed - basically because we do not have a fixed line phone anymore, it is essentially a mobile sim card installed inside in the alarm which allows it to dial out if needs be - the price for this was circa 450 which seemed very expensive, though a one off cost (of course you need to top it up like you would a normal sim card once a year or it goes dead/gets de-registered). Is that the norm can anyone tell me in terms of price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Have to agree with post re DFS - got them to install our alarm seven years ago and they were excellent. We had an issue and it took ages to sort out but they were excellent every step of the way.

As someone said as well, they do the phonewatch work but I am looking to change from them as I find them very expensive - just under €300 p.a.

Does anyone know of any other alarm monitors and prices???

Advertisement