Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

symptoms of pregnancy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Toulouse wrote: »
    Make sure your vets have emergency cover and that you have the number handy. Alot of dogs whelp during the night and if she's been mated by a much larger dog then she could get into difficulty.

Usually if they go off their food it's a sign that they'll go into labour soon.

The shelter should be able to provide you with lots of help and advice so make sure you get onto them and get as much information as you can.
    just fed her there now and she absolutely WOLFED it down!

as we don't know what dog she mated with, that is a very good point about having difficulty giving birth and I will make sure to have a vet on call number at hand.

the shelter have been fantastic and offered to take her back ASAP if we wanted but I want her to give birth "at home"!
    the kennels would not be a great environment for her at this time, she needs lots of rest and TLC.

Best piece of advice I could give you right now is to go to your preferred online bookstore, and order "Book of the Bitch" by J M Evans & Kay White.

This book *will* be your bible for the next 10 weeks ;)
    I'm not joking you but I went looking for a book today that would be some knid of guide or help to me as I'm completely new to this and it's so unexpected, so this is fantastic, thank you so much!

will have a look on-line now, cheers dollydishmop:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

When our Rosie was pregnant, a surprise pregnancy like I said in my previous post and she's only a young dog, couldn't have have been more than year old when we got her, the week she gave birth she kept going into the corner between the couch and the wall with the radiator and lying on my backpack. As I did not think that the good people at North Face had made that particular product with puppy birthing in mind, I removed it and put a box in there with a sheet and she would keep going into it and lying down and going out again to her regular bed, which was a crate at that time. That would have been the Sunday/Monday. By Wednesday, she wasn't eating and was very quiet and passed something that was more mucus than anything else. Thursday dawned and she kept wanting to go out and assume the pooping position but nothing would happen. That afternoon, she went into the box and lay down. I stayed in the room with her and apart from stealth glances over, I let her be. We'd only had her a few weeks at that point and I didn't want to bother her because I didn't know how she'd react to me in that situation.

She moved around a lot in the box, I would hear her scrabbling about and about two hours after it started, I heard a faint whimper and I remember thinking she was in distress and I went over to look and she'd already had two pups! So the sitting room was officially the labour ward! She proceeded to birth the others over the next two hours and she had six in total. At one point, she got out of the box and had two of them right in front of me but then she'd pick them up and put them in the box with the rest. Because she was so young and so small - she is a very petite dog - we had the same fears that the pups might be too big for her to deliver naturally but she was great. And actually, the following day I noticed the pups heads had gotten slightly bigger and if they had been that big being born, she would have had to go to the vet. But as it was, the universe decided to give her a break. Then I put another cloth over the arm of the couch and the radiator so they'd have some peace and quiet. Though I did have to contend with two relatives who barged in wanting to see them and who got very thick with me when I told them to leave new mothers and babies alone!

After a day, the box began to resemble a shanty town so while my mother brought Rosie out to the garden for a quick stretch of the legs and pee, I put the pups into the crate and covered it with the cloth for more peace and quiet. I didn't excessively handle them because like you, this was new to me and I was convinced she'd reject them OMG! and it would be all my fault!!! But she didn't.

One thing to remember is that after giving birth, the dam's bladder is way out of whack. Rosie would go out to the garden and do nothing. Then a while later, she'd be walking in the kitchen and it would just pour out of her. It wasn't her fault, the poor divil. If you look at where the dog's bladder is and where the uterus sits, it all makes sense!

That was my experience anyway in June 2008 and I hope it helps you in some way. Even though she's young, Rosie was a great mother. She took such care of her litter, all I had to do was keep her fed and make sure they were warm enough and that she got out when she wanted to. I'll post pictures of The Six, as they became known, if you like. They were so damn cute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One bit of advise I'll give you is to organise waterproof bed/birthing den, it's a messy business and I didn't realise how much everything gets ruined the first time I had a pregnant foster dog. One easy thing to use is one of those plastic paddling pools for kids, you know the ones in the shape of lily pads ? Argos normally have them. You can put old towels/bedding in it that you don't mind throwing away and let her get used to it. Another advantage is that it's sides are normally high enough that the pups can't climb out for weeks and its also draft free because of the sides.

I know it wasn't your preferred outcome but I have to say it's an amazing thing to watch, and to see puppies from the minute they're born up until them being ready for homing. We made the mistake of naming each one in our first litter and it made it so hard to let them go, so maybe don't give them 'real dog' names when they're born in case you get really attached to them cos at the end of 12 weeks you will anyway.

great stuff guys, yeah my friend suggested I get a small inflatable swimming pool lined with old sheets and towels, that's what she used and said it's easy-to-clean and keeps the pups in

one helpful boardsie even offered to let me borrow the book of the bitch and post it to me! I love this forum, it's the most helpful and informative source I could ask for, thanks a million everyone:)

she is panned out today, just constantly resting poor girl has no energy. she is only about 9months old, hopefully the dog she mated with wasn't a very big breed and there will be no problems with the delivery, I'm pretty nervous about it and keep watching videos and stuff to the point where I'm freaking out a little bit incase she can't open a sac or the pups have difficulty breathing or she gets stressed and can't push them out fully...
    my boyfriend has told me to stop because I'm getting too worked up about what could go wrong, like he said, nature will take it's course and she will pretty much do it all herself, we're there more in a supervisory role just in case...but I can't help feeling anxious

the vet said she's 7/8weeks pregnant which means she could be due any day now. are there any "warning signs" for when she is near labour?
    I've read that you can check their temperature so I might have a look for a thermometer tomorrow

• Advertisement

magentas wrote: »
    I'm pretty nervous about it and keep watching videos and stuff to the point where I'm freaking out a little bit incase she can't open a sac or the pups have difficulty breathing or she gets stressed and can't push them out fully...
    my boyfriend has told me to stop because I'm getting too worked up about what could go wrong, like he said, nature will take it's course and she will pretty much do it all herself, we're there more in a supervisory role just in case...but I can't help feeling anxious

I think sometimes we can work ourselves into a tizzy about these things. There's absolutely no harm in being prepared and forewarned but we can overthink things. I'm saying this from personal experience because I read so much about dogs giving birth, at one point I announced to the family that we had to sterilise the front room because how could anything be expected to give birth in there?! That's when I was told to take myself off for a nice long walk and to remember that we did not live in a dump. Of course you're going to be anxious, that's natural but don't let it take all your energy because you're going to need some for after the births when you come on here and tell us how many pups she's had! ;)

The warning signs we had was Rosie wanting to go out a lot. I realise now her 'pooping' was probably her wanting to push, having contractions and what not, and the whole going into the corner that day was the big giveaway. I would let her guide you as to what to do. And remember, she'll be needing you to be calm and strong so she can be influenced by those vibes during the whole thing.

I have to say though, with suggestions of waterproof beds and inflatable swimming pools, I feel I should apologise to Rosie for giving her aul box! Just joking. Those are both great ideas. We went with the box because (a) we are old school, and (b) we were going to put them into the crate eventually anyway because I felt it would be more secure for them, both physically and psychologically, if that makes sense. I'm a great believer in everyone and everything having their own safe space.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

great stuff guys, yeah my friend suggested I get a small inflatable swimming pool lined with old sheets and towels, that's what she used and said it's easy-to-clean and keeps the pups in

All good suggestions...and another to throw in the mix...for the first week I usually make up a cardboard den, and plague my local supermarkets for boxes. Then when one is soiled, it goes outside and gets burnt, and I make up a fresh clean one.

Just another option if you can't get hold of a paddling pool etc on short notice. Certainly, the birthing process will be very messy. So be prepared that whatever she whelps in will need to be scrubbed or replaced once she's finished.
    she is panned out today, just constantly resting poor girl has no energy. she is only about 9months old, hopefully the dog she mated with wasn't a very big breed and there will be no problems with the delivery,

Mother nature is often pretty good at sorting these things out, even if it was a big dog.
    If there is a problem it should be fairly obvious.
    Whereabouts are you, do you have anyone local who has whelped dogs before who can come and hold your hand (metaphorically) if needed?
    I'm pretty nervous about it and keep watching videos and stuff to the point where I'm freaking out a little bit incase she can't open a sac or the pups have difficulty breathing or she gets stressed and can't push them out fully.

Your boyfriend is spot on. ;)
    Don't panic, and just let common sense rule your hand.
    If she doesn't clean the sac off pups head,and pup looks distressed, then (with clean hands) by all means reach in (if she'll let you) and clear it off the pup's nose.
    If pup isn't breathing, reach into its mouth (gently)and clear as much mucous out as you can,as well as off the nose. Gently massage ribs, simulating mum's tongue and as soon as pup splutters put it back and let her carry on.
    If pup is stuck: if presentation is normal(head first resting on top of two front paws) leave it be for a while, mum may just be having a break. If pup is breach (anything other than head &paws first) then you can use some KY on a fingertip to gently probe to see what is where. If pup is halfway out, breach and seemingly stuck, then gently & slowly pull pup downwards towards her toes - (in time with contractions!!)
    Pups are more robust than you may think...so as long as you not totally hamfisted & rough, don't be worried about getting hands on if its necessary...but don't rush in to be hands on until you're sure pup is either stuck/distressed or bitch has given up (exhausted)

Have vet's number on speed-dial...and assuming she starts labour during civilised hours, a courtesy call to vet just to let him know she's started is always a nice thing to do...then he has it half in his mind incase you do have to call on him later on in the process.

Oh my, so much more I could write...but I'm trying not to freak you out (and I think I've failed miserably) If nothing else I hope I've given you a little more confidence in how to intervene if necessary - and I sincerely hope I haven't done the opposite..
    the vet said she's 7/8weeks pregnant which means she could be due any day now. are there any "warning signs" for when she is near labour?
    I've read that you can check their temperature so I might have a look for a thermometer tomorrow

As others have said she might go off her food...but sometimes that can be up to 48 hours before anything happens.
    She may well start nesting in a very determined fashion, and not want to be removed from wherever she's made her nest - which is never where you want her to nest, mine always used to prefer the ironing pile or wash basket :rolleyes:
    Nesting is often a sign that she's likely to start soon (i.e within a few hours).
    Temp checking is another good idea yes.
    Milk will normally start to run within 24-72 hours prior to pups, so get into the habit of gently squeezing a teat every now and then to see if anything happens.
    First pup should be preceeded by some thick mucous and a waterbag (will look like she's pushedout a small balloon) All pups will have a waterbag, but first one is often more pronounced and the one you're most likely to notice.

Did vet scan her, or palpate her to get an idea of how many pups are in there?

Anyways, best of luck...and relax, relax, relax! Sit back and enjoy the show - any problems will be fairly obvious, and just apply common sense. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Oh gosh, can't believe I missed the latest update.

How exciting, I know obviously that she is young, and the pups add to the problem of homeless dogs, but still, its done now, and you are going to have puppies in the house.

I can't add anything, except to recommend the Royal Canin puppy milk to have in just in case you need to feed any, its what I've used on the two litters we've had to deal with here. The first litter was hand reared, the second, the mum dealt with it all herself, we just used the milk to supplement, as she had 8 pups. We used a plastic paddling pool for the second litter and it was great, highly recommended.

Dollydishmop has given excellent advice and knows her stuff, try not to panic, easier said than done I know, and please keep us informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

Sorry to butt in but have just been reading through this post and its so exciting - I'm on tenderhooks!

Hope your dog is comfortable and that every thing goes well in the coming days. I'm sure you don't need me to remind you to keep us posted. They'll probably become the official boards.ie pups!

Good luck with every thing!

Cat

I haven't been online all week but thank you all so much for the replies!

@lucybliss thank you for sharing your experiences, it's nice to hear from someone that was a first-timer themselves!

@dollydishmop wow what a fantastic post! you covered so much there all really helpful stuff, thanks so much

@ISDW I will pick up the puppy milk today, thanks for the recommendation.
    how much do you think I should get?
    I'm terrified that nelly will reject the pups, the shelter said that because she's so young she may just stand there staring at them so make sure she lies down to let them feed from her

@candypants awh thanks! she is in good form albeit quiet tired

so no sign of pups yet, I had a feeling she would go last night but I'd say she isn't far off now. she is so big and really dotey, just nuzzling into me all the time. she isn't producing milk yet though and there's no discharge

the vet scanned her alright but didn't say how many pups. what does "palpatate" them mean, something to do with the heartbeat I'd imagine?

I ordered the book of the bitch last week and thought it'd be here by now, I'm hoping to get a call about it today. everyone here has been fantastic though and I can't thank you all enough for all your help, it means a lot to worry basket like myself:o

I am nervous and will remain so until all of the pups are out, healthy and happy, but I'm also very excited now! she was lying beside me on the couch last night and feeling all those little pups moving around inside her tummy was just amazing:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You sure it wasnt palpate? as they are 2 different words and palpate is where they have a feel for the pups, she would palpate her to try and feel the pups inside her.

andreac wrote: »
    You sure it wasnt palpate? as they are 2 different words and palpate is where they have a feel for the pups, she would palpate her to try and feel the pups inside her.
    yes sorry, palpate. the vet did feel underneath her and there was a vet student there with him and he said to her that he could feel a head but he never mentioned anything about them been very big (so nothing to worry about I'd imagine) nor did he say how many pups
    would you usually be told how many?
    It was pretty amazing pinpointing limbs on the scan :D

yes sorry, palpate. the vet did feel underneath her and there was a vet student there with him and he said to her that he could feel a head but he never mentioned anything about them been very big (so nothing to worry about I'd imagine) nor did he say how many pups
    would you usually be told how many?
    It was pretty amazing pinpointing limbs on the scan :D

There is a scan you can get done to try and see how many pups they have inside her, but not every vets have the equipment to do that. Some have scanners but wouldnt be able to scan well enough to see how many pups she has.
    So no, you wouldnt usually be told how many they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Good luck!

Just remain calm... read up on rescusitation just incase you need to do it to any of the pups... I had to do it to one of the pups my bitch had in December...

Any developments?

Hope everything is going well so far!

Any developments?

Hope everything is going well so far!
    nah, nothing yet. she's overdue now!
    no dramatic changes in her the last few days, as long as I can still feel the pups moving around inside her I'm happy enough but can't wait til they're all out and the delivery is over so I (and nelly!) can relax:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D Do we all get to name them when they come along?

Best piece of advice I could give you right now is to go to your preferred online bookstore, and order "Book of the Bitch" by J M Evans & Kay White.

This book *will* be your bible for the next 10 weeks ;)
    it finally arrived on friday...really cool book, reading it every chance I get!
    even if she wasn't pregnant it's a great resource.

cheers for the recommendation:)

Whispered wrote: »
    :D Do we all get to name them when they come along?
    haha! well the shelter will be re-homing them although my brother has said he'd love to take one, he's been talking about getting a pup for ages and finally moved into his new house before christmas so hopefully the shelter will be cool with that.

It'd mean a lot to me to know where one of the pups would be and I know he'll make a super dog owner. he's already talking of putting up a 5/6ft fence all around the back of the house!:D

I'd love to keep one myself but it's just not viable, the two of them are under a year. at least they'll be easy to re-home, so excited now!

It's great that you have the support of the shelter behind you. You'll have weeks of fun. I'm jealous. Delighted you're more excited than nervous. I would be terrified I think but would try to enjoy every minute. I've never been lucky enough to be there when pups are born.

(can I call one murphy? :pac:)

• Advertisement

so nelly delivered 7 beautiful pups last night/this morning!

the first arrived at 3.35am and the 6th at 5.50am. I went to bed shortly after 7am thinking "that's great, 6 healthy pups"
    9.30am went to check on them and there was a 7th:D

all healthy and happy. poor nell was pretty distressed and scared I think. she ran away from the first pup! we placed them in the nesting area and she had the first 4pups within an hour. she is tired after it and it took her a while to feed them, we picked up supplement milk to have on hand just in case but she started feeding them around 5pm and they're all suckling away now.

mum and pups doing well, I'm so relieved:o:)

Wow! Thats so exciting - can't believe there was seven in the end! Poor mum must be wrecked (as must you be!). When you have some energy back it would be lovely to see some pics. Good luck with everything!

Awwhhh, thats brilliant. Glad everything went well for mum. Just keep good eye on the pups for next couple of days that they are all feeding well and putting on weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

Awesome news! :)

Pics! Pics! Pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Fantastic news, and how lovely that she got to have her pups in a loving, warm, safe home. Well done.

Definitely lots of pics please.

Ooh, I want to live vicariously through another and see pictures!

So exciting. And yes, it is absolutely fantastic that she got to give birth in a nice safe warm quiet house. I have no doubt that it made all the difference to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Fair play :)

Delighted they all arrived safe and well. For such a young dog herself, she has done an amazing job.

Rest up... our six are 6 weeks old now and ruling the roost... climbing out of their box at every oppurtunity! It's tiring!

Congratulations!!!

This is seriously lovely news. There's so much crap and nonsense and horribleness out there when you turn on the TV and radio, it's so nice to have a break from that and a litter of pups can't not bring the joy and cuteness. I mean, you can't not be cheered up by looking at the little ones all huddled together and being adorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I was just going back through the pages to see if I could find this post to ask if there was any news. I obviously missed it :rolleyes:

Congrats on the arrivals Magentas - how're they doing?

Advertisement