Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked in my apartment

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

happy new year to everyone and i hope you all have a peaceful one.

in the early hours of the 28th dec i came back to my rented apt to fid my door had been kicked in and axed to death.
    when i went in i was hit over the head and repeatledly hit with the back of the axe and kicked.
    im not seriously injured thankgod but i was cut with the axe on two places on my torso.
    i called the gards when i got myself together and they took a statement.
    the guy had a balaclava on but im sure it was the guy upstairs who is a lunatic.
    the only altercation i had with him was a few months back he was having a party and i asked to turn down the music.
    i must add nothing was taking from my apt and thankgod my wife and son were away.
    i am living in my sisters house and only intend to go back when i can move to a new place.
    i recieve rent allowance and im unemployed.
    i dont have the deposit or month in advance for a new place and my landlady doesnt intend on giving my deposit back as im breaking the 12mth contract 3 months early.
    please can anyone recommend where i can get help.
    i havent told my wife the seriousness of the attack on me or that it could be the nutjob from upstairs.
    the gards reccommeded that i move. easier said than done.

thanks and sorry if i lef anything out as im still shaken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Glad to hear that you and your family are alright. The only thing I could suggest is that you speak to your community welfare officer and bring the gda report of the break in to support your case.

Hope it works out for you lex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Cant help you but i wish you all the best of luck with your troubles..People like this deserve to live the rest of their life in jail!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

That's an awful story, hope you are getting over it.

You might be able to apply for a deposit for a new place from social welfare. It's discretionary, but under the circumstances you might just get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

axel rose wrote: »
    Glad to hear that you and your family are alright. The only thing I could suggest is that you speak to your community welfare officer and bring the gda report of the break in to support your case.

+ 1.

The Social may be able to give you an Exceptional Needs payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

lexluther wrote: »
    happy new year to everyone and i hope you all have a peaceful one.

in the early hours of the 28th dec i came back to my rented apt to fid my door had been kicked in and axed to death.
    when i went in i was hit over the head and repeatledly hit with the back of the axe and kicked.
    im not seriously injured thankgod but i was cut with the axe on two places on my torso.
    i called the gards when i got myself together and they took a statement.
    the guy had a balaclava on but im sure it was the guy upstairs who is a lunatic.
    the only altercation i had with him was a few months back he was having a party and i asked to turn down the music.
    i must add nothing was taking from my apt and thankgod my wife and son were away.
    i am living in my sisters house and only intend to go back when i can move to a new place.
    i recieve rent allowance and im unemployed.
    i dont have the deposit or month in advance for a new place and my landlady doesnt intend on giving my deposit back as im breaking the 12mth contract 3 months early.
    please can anyone recommend where i can get help.
    i havent told my wife the seriousness of the attack on me or that it could be the nutjob from upstairs.
    the gards reccommeded that i move. easier said than done.

thanks and sorry if i lef anything out as im still shaken.

What a terrible thing.. and the landlady needs help to become human.

The Gardai seem to be taking the easy way out too. Have they interviewed that man? This is a serious assault.

Please God the welfare folk will help you on this.

Please take care of yourself too; I am assuming you have had medical help? And there are resources for victim support via the Gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lexluther

Hi Folks, Thanks to all your replys so far.
    well i have been talking with the estate agent and he was very understanding.
    ive seen a little house in a much more settled part of the town that im in and its 700euro p.m
    i have a meeting with him on tues morn and he will show me the house.
    He also knows the Community Welfare Officer for my area and he will insist on emergency deposit plus one month in advance.
    To be honest ive dealt with the C.W.O for the place im in or was in, and she defo could of given the S.S a few tips on interrogation.ha!
    But now its different so please god i will be sorted asap.
    Im still on my sisters couch and my family are still away on holidays so im hoping i will be moved into a new place next week if things go well for me.

Thanks again guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

very sorry to hear what happened to you. i despair at some people in this city.

your landlady's behaviour is disgraceful. money is the only thing that matters to some of these people. i hope they sleep well at night knowing the misery they are inflicting on people.

makes me sick to my stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

I can't believe the gardai just told you to uproot your family & move house, rather than, say investigate or actually do their job. That's such a f*cking unbelievable copout.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Is it not the case that you can break a lease if it is unsafe for you to live where you are? I would check with threshold. I remember getting that advice when I was living somewhere which was quite unsafe. I may be wrong but it may be worth checking out if it means you can get your deposit back which would help with a new place. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I can't believe the gardai just told you to uproot your family & move house, rather than, say investigate or actually do their job. That's such a f*cking unbelievable copout.

Oh we can!

When we had all those months of trouble with the old man next door, the attitude was the same from the Gardai; they seemed to blame US for moving here..... "Oh he's not that bad.." When he has caused hundred of Euros of damage, attacked our dogs etc etc.

They just would not take any action even when we said we wanted to make a formal complaint.

Had the old man not gone so far that the landlord finally blew his top... Threatening to poison our water supply and setting fire to the boreen..which endangered the overhead power lines..

All is well now but no thanks to the Gardai. And more stress and damage because of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement