Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Chocolate Cake recipe anyone?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I am making a cake for a friend of mine as a wedding present and she has requested 3 tiers one of them being a white chocolate cake with hazelnut syrup and chocolate chips, has anyone made a cake like this before and if so was it a hit or miss. Also is it a biscuit or a sponge. I figured if it's got a hazelnut flavour rather than actual hazelnuts it must be a sponge but I could be wrong
    Many thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would a biscuit cake taste better with white choc than a sponge do you think? White choc can be very salty so the saltyness might go better with a biscuit base if butter is being used unsalted is deffo. the way to go.

But if using chocolate chips the choc chips might be nicer in a sponge are they white or dark choc. chips?

Hazelnut syrup or hazelnut puree? Hazenuts would be nice in a biscuit cake but the little bits of nut might not suit a sponge.

Would a white choc vacherin cake work?
    Or hazelnut white choc mud cake?

Choc chips are forgiving so they could be lightly mixed in to any cake mixture really.

Sorry not any help really just waffling, but would love to see how the cake turns out in the end sounds so yum whatever you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Did the bride specify whether it's a biscuit cake she wants or a sponge or did she just say she wants those particular flavours and the rest is up to you? And has she had this flavour cake somewhere before or just suggested them as a combination she'd like? Because if she had it before she might be able to direct you towards the original recipe, if it was in a restaurant or something.

I would assume it's a sponge/madeira/generally baked cake moreso than a chocolate biscuit, as white chocolate doesn't make great chocolate biscuit cake, isn't widely used IYKWIM. Also with chocolate chips being specified I would assume again that it's not biscuit cake, as they would just melt in it.

Is the cake going to be covered in sugarpaste? Because then it'd be more of a madeira you'd be looking for than a sponge cake (if it isn't a biscuit cake).

I can't help with the hazelnut syrup bit, ground hazelnuts I'm familiar with but not hazelnut syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sparkles100

Hi All, Just wondering what is the best white icing to use when making a chocolate biscuit cake? Is ganache better that sugar paste? Anyone got any advice please? Hoping to make my own wedding cake and really want to start trying out ideas...Thanks in advance for the replies!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Sugarpaste is fine to use on the outside of chocolate biscuit cake, but you will probably need something like ganache in between the two to make it stick and to fill dents etc, so both is my answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sparkles100

Thanks! Very helpful, makes sense!

• Advertisement
Advertisement