Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Walking

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Would like to join a hill walking club that do walks at weekends or mid-week....any suggestions on best club to join? Am living in Dublin 18. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

Here is a link to pretty much all the walking clubs in the Dublin area.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Becq44 wrote: »
    Would like to join a hill walking club that do walks at weekends or mid-week....any suggestions on best club to join? Am living in Dublin 18. Thanks

Hi Becq44,

I am a committee member with my own mountaineering club, we are called Club Cualann - see our website at www.clubcualann.ie for more info.

We are based in the Dublin & Wicklow Mountains and meet every Sunday for prearranged walks usually taking 5-6 hours. We are always seeking new members to join the club and become regular walkers.

We hold Welcome walks on the second Sunday of every month aimed at welcoming potential new members to the club and you would be more than welcome to come along and see if the club is a good fit for you or not. Of course you are also free to join us at any time as we walk each Sunday.

Also, there is a very active rock climbing group within the club if that would interest you.

If you would like to contact me for further information please feel free to do so.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Becq44

Hi there and thanks for your helpful reply. Your club looks great. I was supposed to go on a trial walk with another club this weekend but caught the inter vomiting bug so that was the end of that! I actually prefer the sound of your club, however, so would like to try a beginners walk soon if there is one coming up? I had a look at the next hillwalk and it is this coming Sunday but I'm not too sure it's for beginners.
    I would be coming with my husband, we are both thirty and reasonably fit (go to gym etc) so it would be great if you could advise us as to what walk would be most suitable.
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pplsgod

Becq44 wrote: »
    Hi there and thanks for your helpful reply. Your club looks great. I was supposed to go on a trial walk with another club this weekend but caught the inter vomiting bug so that was the end of that! I actually prefer the sound of your club, however, so would like to try a beginners walk soon if there is one coming up? I had a look at the next hillwalk and it is this coming Sunday but I'm not too sure it's for beginners.
    I would be coming with my husband, we are both thirty and reasonably fit (go to gym etc) so it would be great if you could advise us as to what walk would be most suitable.
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

Hi Rebecca.

Hope you are better following the nasty bug.

Our welcome walks fall on the Second Sunday of every month (that would make the next one on the 13th February)
    I was just looking at the website myself there is a new list of walks due to be published shortly. Most likely after Sunday' walk.

If you and your husband decide you want to come along this Sunday and give it a go you could expect to be out for about 5 to 6 hours over untracked mountain terrain, we travel at a moderate pace but always cater for newcomers so do not feel that you would be out of place on a regular walk.

From the sounds of it you are both well equipped from a fitness perspective. Are you both newcomers to hillwalking or have you been out in the past?

James

Advertisement