Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malitaria Forum Promoting Neo Nazism

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I went into the Malitaria section today to have a look at medals and helmets and normal stuff I expected to see but what I came across I was shocked by.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1003

The Section is full of nazis,SS and everything to do with German medals car registrations you name it is was there too buy.

Nearly every thread has something to do with the germans and world war 1 and 2.

I'm shocked to see boards would let this stuff be sold and with no guidelines whatsoever in fact the way the thread is presented if you took one glance at it.

Is it is promoting neo-Nazism.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

That forum is not promoting Nazis in any way, it is promoting the collection and cataloging of important historical antiques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If someone collects stamps it doesn't mean they want to be a postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is that you Jim?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Boards.ie - i now officially love it.

Particularly for its diversity.

There is now officially a forum on a word or subject i never heard of "Malitaria" or "Militaria"

Google tells me its collecting military relics ets?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Is it is promoting neo-Nazism.
    It is not. Like it or not, there is a market for German WWII memorabilia.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh FFS no its not. :rolleyes: I collect vintage watches. Among them I've two WW2 german issued watches and a UK and a US one and a Soviet one. What's that make me? Confused or just a collector of watches? Shít I have a phoenician pot, does this mean I go along with child sacrifice?

OK so lets say you saw medals, uniforms from the USSR of world war 2. Would that get you as hyped up? Why not? Stalin arguably killed more than Hitler. What about a UK bomber command jacket/medal? They firebombed civilians. US air force medal? They vapourised two cities.

So what guidelines would you have? "Oh look away children, the very sight of a swastika will have you goose stepping into your Polish neighbours back garden". Jesus christ, some people need to get out more or actually live in a society with real problems and highlight them. Oh wait...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Were the Americans who were so desperately trying to get Lugers during WWII also Nazis? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

As a moderator of the militaria forum I only wish to say that collecting militaria items from german troops has nothing to do with Nazism.

If you insinuate that any of our forum members do please show me proof of this.

Also get your facts straight. You mention WWI German items as well. WWI has nothing to do with Nazism whatsoever. The aftermath of WWI contributed to the rise of Fascism, Nazism etc but I am sure you already know this.

EDIT: I also saw you mentioned the sale of items. These items are sold through www.adverts.ie and adhere to their strict regulations regarding items promoting hate, xenophobia etc. Original WWII (German or otherwise) are collectible which can be bought and sold the world over by collectors. They do not promote any hate groups such as neo-nazis. The sale of "new" items to support any of these kind of groups is forbidden by adverts and rightly so. The for sale/wanted section on the militaria forum is screened and any items sold there have to be listed also on adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

well i post there...
    i collect photographs and other items from ww1 up until the 1950, mainly ww2, as it was the last "great" war involving countless countries in various bttles in diffrent theatares of operations. I mainly collect photos and have had a interest in the military and history from a young age, the fact that the majority of my collection is German items is not down to me only but whats availible. i collect photos, magezines etc... Irish items of this nature are very thin on the ground and also very exspensive, so are british, french, russian and to a lesser extent american. also that that most germans werent hardcore nazis imo, also the wehrmacht was more an imperial army than a "nazi army".

its a hobby, i dont have SS tatoos or a swastika on my chest and dont go out and attack other races in the street or avoid diffrent ethnicities.

(also read a bit on stalin and you'll see a terror much worse than hitler :pac: - - -)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

And the people that enjoy films like Der Untergang are also Neo Nazis??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Mousey- wrote: »
    . also that that most germans werent hardcore nazis imo, also the wehrmacht was more an imperial army than a "nazi army".

Thank you for making this point.

OP - do you understand the difference between the SS, Wehrmacht, Nazi political party and so on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Agree ++ with Preusse.

I can't figure out if the OP's use of the word "Malitaria" is a witty portmanteau (given his own view), or if the correct spelling is, like the purpose of the forum, eluding him.

Anyway, you're all obviously Nazi's so I'll bid you auf weidersehn.

Militaria collectors actually collecting - militaria :eek:

Is there such a thing as a "politically correct militaria collector"? Swiss army knives and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Is there such a thing as a "politically correct militaria collector"? Swiss army knives and the like?

Hmmmm knife is such an offensive term, we prefer Swiss Defense force "Compact Utility Tool" around these parts in PCville!

As regards Militaria, collecting something doesn't mean you support it. I have some US Army Vietnam gear, it doesn't mean that I support the actions of the US forces during that war it means that era of time and its events interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Ever thread in the forum is about Nazis and full of symbols of swatika's pictures.

I was glanced into the forum and I checked out the names of most threads and to be honest it promotes it and it a terrible that this is allowed to be posted or ever talked about it is not right.

My dad was big into collecting old armys medals and stuff and I just came into the thread to check out some medals that people collected and was shocked to see ever thread and post about Nazis.
    That forum is not promoting Nazis in any way, it is promoting the collection and cataloging of important historical antiques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

The level of ignorance from those posts is astounding, it really is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Daemos wrote: »
    The level of ignorance from those posts is astounding, it really is

Go on, give us a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

My dad was big into collecting old armys medals and stuff
    So does he support war? Because by your own definition he does

Collecting Nazi memorabilia does not make you a Nazi, end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There is even a section selling Iron Crosses and s s car number plates this forum is a one stop shop and discussion place for Neo Nazi groups.

What's your problem with the Iron Cross? It was a medal given to German soldiers.

Not that I accept that collecting SS paraphernalia is promoting Neo-Nazi activities whatsoever, but again - do you understand the difference between what was a political party, armed forces, paramilitary organisation, secret police etc?

Actually is this just a wind-up? I'm finding this Maud Flanders-esque hysteria hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

How the hell this has been up for 24 hours without being either locked or - preferably - deleted is beyond me.....
    Nearly every thread has something to do with the germans and world war 1 and 2...........

It's a militaria forum.
    Ever thread (........) Nazis.

Tough. Instead of more bleating about how terrible it is, why not link to a few posts that show the forum is, as you put it " Is it is promoting neo-Nazism.", whatever that might mean. You might at least put in the appearance of trying to be serious, now you've started a thread about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ever thread in the forum is about Nazis and full of symbols of swatika's pictures.

I was glanced into the forum and I checked out the names of most threads and to be honest it promotes it and it a terrible that this is allowed to be posted or ever talked about it is not right.

So it's not right to talk about medals or uniforms or helmets or whatever just because they happen to be German and from WWII. I fail to see how collecting something makes you a Nazi. I collect stamps and have an extensive collection of German WWII stamps (some of them even have Hitler's picture on them :eek:) so am I automatically a Nazi because of this, despite my left-leaning political views? Your argument is reactionary and without any logical foundation, but if you can prove to us that the forum is populated by neo-Nazis obviously we will look into this further, but for the moment all i see are a bunch of people who like to collect things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

eoin wrote: »
    Actually is this just a wind-up? I'm finding this Maud Flanders-esque hysteria hard to believe.
    I'm not. This kind of frankly daft thinking is common enough
    It might help if when you seek to shine a light on such things that you learn to spell. Some basic grammar would be nice while we're at it. Otherwise you come across as foolish. You may not, be but on initial evidence....
    Jesus H effin Christ. I weep I truly bloody do. Not even talked about? Sweet zombie..... eoin I know you think it may be a troll, but like I said don't be surprised at the amount of chicken little/pollyanna/Moll Flanders type eejits with no clue of history or critical thinking that are actually out there. And then be afraid, be very afraid. The irony is the same mentality is what gets and keeps your totalitarian types in power.
    My dad was big into collecting old armys medals and stuff and I just came into the thread to check out some medals that people collected and was shocked to see ever thread and post about Nazis.
    Meh, lets face it, while we can argue morals back and forth and ze Germans would be on the back foot on that score, if WW2 had been decided over style, then they would have aced most of it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There was a poster some time back (can't remember which forum - Politics maybe) moaning about ww2 memorabilia being on sale at a market in Skerries. Real Salem kind of rubbish.

That said - this thread really does smack of trollery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Look, when i was 18 i went to dachau, as has many 100's of thousands of visitors before and after me - i dodnt go there for any gratification nor did i go there for any morbid reason other than it was a location of great historical interest. Tragic as the location may be, it is relevant, the Nazi's have done bad things, but they have a rather significant part in european and world history - therefore there is going to be interest in them,and in the vast majority of cases - 99.999% of the time - that interest is of their part in history and society rather than any ounce of appreciation of their actions or ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I am not sure where you are coming from (location wise) but there are only very few places were a swastika on a historical item has to be covered up on a forum. In Germany you cannot show items with swastikas on them, however, it is permitted even there to post pictures of historical items with swastikas and other "forbidden" symbols if they serve to educate and historically inform the public.

Furthermore, if you read beyond the thread titles you will find threads which show peoples' collections of items and their questions, ranging from the mundane "is it a real or fake" to "what craftsman mark is this, what maker produced this".

Again, show me any threa which promotes any neo-Nazi groups.

If you can't do that I consider this discussion over.

Please refrain from further insulting militaria forum members by linking them with spurious insinuations to Neo-Nazis.

You may request removal of access to the militaria forum if you so wish. I will happily comply with your request.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wibbs wrote: »
    Moll Flanders

The notorious con-artist, thief and adulteress?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Pollyanna

The girl who could always see the positive side of everything?

:pac:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it, roboshatner me oul flower. Ignoring the nazis won't make them disappear from history.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭MedalFuhrer

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it, roboshatner me oul flower. Ignoring the nazis won't make them disappear from history.

Exactly. And his point of bunching WW1 and WW2 together as Nazis shows no comprehension of the history or more importantly the ideals behind the Nazis.

I have started collection medals quite recently. I have a huge interest in WW1 and WW2, and the British campaign as well as the German campaign.
    So I have a small but growing collection of British WW1 & WW2 medals, so by this reasoning this also makes me a colonialist, an imperialist and pro-British?
    I got my first WW2 German medal two months ago. My sister bought me a lovely one as a Christmas present. (Oh no! She MUST be a Nazi!! ;) ) And I intend to collect more as this era in history, and more importantly, social history fascinates me. The Nazi ideals sicken me and that is why I try to understand how it could come about, and collect the history.
    It should never be hidden, for to forget is to risk allowing it to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

First of I collect swords etc, but I really needed to jump in here, OP, by your logic is every person on the Isle of Man a nazi or an evil person because their coat of arms is a form of swastika,

Confirm here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_the_Isle_of_Man

And just in case you missed this in your research OP :rolleyes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

So hey, the swastika, while associated with the nazi regime it is actually an ancient symbol of luck, but hey, you knew that right!

So looking at this logically, by the above points we should rule out the swastika being totally offensive, so we're again left with just basic military collectables, and lets be honest, every military has a time of shame or a moment in history that wasn't comendable.

To rap up if i applied your logic:

I'm Irish born, both sides of the family tree have a long history in both the IRB to 1916 IRA, and to this day strong Sein Feinn supporters, many of my family were killed by the british, so I should hate the british and all british military items, after all they put our people through nearly a 1000 years of opression!!!
    But guesse what, I don't, cause that would be racist first, and I wouldn't be going out with my wonderful british girlfriend (don't tell her i said that:D) then there is the real IRA, how many innocents did they kill, does that tar all Irish with the same brush? because again by your logic all germans for the periods of 1939 to 1945 were evil and 'nazi scum'!!!

This probably deserves to be in the rant and raving Forum :D

Post them up Gandalf - I would like to see them. On the other side of hecoin I have a VietCong medal here somewhere I will post also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

aoshea83 wrote: »
    And just in case you missed this in your research OP :rolleyes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

So hey, the swastika, while associated with the nazi regime it is actually an ancient symbol of luck, but hey, you knew that right!
    1. the swastika was made germanys national flag, like the stars and stripes of america or the irish tri colour, hence the reason it was adorned everywhere in germany at the time.

2swastika were associated with other cultures and was a symbol of luck, like a shamrock. but yes it is primarily and almost exclusivly associated with nazism.

but wait whats this
    Swastika laundry, and in ireland :eek:

and it was there from 1912 to 1987, long before and long after the Nazi ideals were even taught up.

http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/swastika-laundry-1912-1987/
    swastika1960s.jpg

image_large-1.jpeg

swastika is still exclusivly remembered as a nazi emblem and i dont think that will change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement