Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zenith Classic Rock

Options
  • 02-01-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭

This Waterford-based station is back on air as of New Year's Day for 10 weekends.

Fri, sat, sun on 103.8FM, 1584AM and DAB.

Rock on!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I miss Christmas fm :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christmas FM Pffffft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Any chance of some Neuro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

haha I was just kidding Mike. Good to see this station back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Welcome back Andy!!

Good to hear you guys back on the air Sunday night in the car :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Time to rejuvenae this thread, as Zenith Classic Rock returns on New Year's Day at midnight!

A.

Time to re-rejuvenate!

Zenith is on air weekends again, 103.8FM, 1584 AM Stereo and DAB.

Good, rockin' tunes!

Zenith is an internet station, but licenced by the BAI to broadcast on air for 30 days per year. It would be great to have it on air every day - Zenith are running an appeal for donations to help the campaign to get a full-time licence.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Any idea where I can check it out online? I don't get the greatest reception here.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Am listening to it at weekends, makes a pleasant change from all the other crap national stations.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Bet they don't play this song? An anthem for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Am listening to it at weekends, makes a pleasant change from all the other crap national stations.

Listening to it most nights through iTunes, welcome addition but it seems to be more Classic AOR rather Classic Rock, could do with it being a bit heavier, maybe I'm just catching it at the wrong time.

Its not a "heavy" station, its a diverse one so you'll need to keep listening - could be Joni Mitchell, could be Rare Earth, could be Black Sabbath at any given moment. Not a bad thing at all imo :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Open Tempo is alot better with live DJs and better selection of music.

Horses for courses I think you'll find (Christ I'm starting to sound like Zeniths unofficial spokesperson!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

mike65 wrote: »
    Horses for courses I think you'll find (Christ I'm starting to sound like Zeniths unofficial spokesperson!).

There's a vacancy for that actually...

Two completely different stations, viva la difference.

Zenith is totally music, and that music is based around the wide genre of rock, including deeper album tracks.

Open Tempo is very broad, as the same suggests, and very eclectic.

Zenith is also licensed (when on air at weekends), OT is a pirate. Not that that matters to the listeners.

Zenith covers the south-east, OT is Waterford City only.

I like what OT do, but they should sort out their technicalities, a poorly performing transmitter will only lead to trouble from the authorities.

When you're a pirate its best to do everything right technically, then there's less risk of disturbing the hornets' nest.

A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

alinton wrote: »
    Two completely different stations, viva la difference.

Zenith is totally music, and that music is based around the wide genre of rock, including deeper album tracks.

Open Tempo is very broad, as the same suggests, and very eclectic.

Zenith is also licensed (when on air at weekends), OT is a pirate. Not that that matters to the listeners.

I like what OT do, but they should sort out their technicalities, a poorly performing transmitter will only lead to trouble from the authorities.

When you're a pirate its best to do everything right technically, then there's less risk of disturbing the hornets' nest.

A.

Open Tempo don't have any major technical issues. When I am down in Waterford I always listen to them. Besides when I am away you can listen online here - http://www.opentempofm.com/index.php/web-player

The sound is clear. Their choice and variety is alot better than Zenith as 1) They have DJs on hand and 2) dont play off a computerised playlist like Zenith does. I am well aware that OT are pirate but they like Zenith have have put a bit of life into the local market which has been dull and stale for years ever since the demise of ABC Power 104 and Quayside in 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

alinton wrote: »

A.

Very hard to get it in Dungarvan hence the reason I listen through iTunes.

I wasn't being negative about OT, but they do have technical issues. The transmitter is over-deviating.

And as regards the music, well Zenith, as it runs 24/7 does use computer playout like most stations these days. But it does have DJs at weekends when on air.

And there's nothing wrong with a computerised playlist, if that playlist is done well and doesn't have a very limited number of songs, as most stations do.

Zenith has about 8,000 songs in its library, which is unheard-of in modern radio.

But like I said before, they are different stations in many ways, and should not be compared.

Apples and oranges.

A

• Advertisement

This is the last weekend of Zenith's run on FM and AM...

With the all-time top 100 rock tracks on Sunday.

A.

Dead air, tried three streams

sniff :(

Must have been a temporary glitch...

Advertisement