Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

collage coarses for mature student

Options
  • 02-01-2011 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Ok here is the deal with me ,
    im 40,unemployed and thinking about going back to collage but i want to do somthing related to music or video , but more music , i have been a user or Cubase for 10 years or more , self tought , i dont play an instrument but i as a hobby for the past 10 years have messed round with and created music with cubase and various vsti's , plugins and so on, im also experienced in HDD recording , mostly spoken word stuff but some music,capturing video , audio interfaces , mixing desks , PA's , i voulenteer as AV/IT support for an NGO so we have lots of live events that sometimes need to be recorded
    So I guess what im asking is what would be my best choice in collage coarses ? music tech ? media production ? what ? baring in mind music is more where im at
    any advice here would be greatly appreciated as i want to get it right
    thanks for taking the time to read this and
    happy new year all :)
    Declan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

well done on thinking about doing it. im 33 and just finished the pulse 2 year course.

if you're in a position that you can afford it then i'd say go for it. it really is a great experience. i had a few years of releasing/engineering techno and doing a small amount of band stuff before i went there, so you can imagine i had my ideas on how to work. college showed me differant ways of working and especially thought me about dealing with musicians, which was great as it was a road i was moving down previously anyway.

i ended up getting a studio position thru a recommendation from someone in the college. also, one of my "mature student" classmates now works with me in the same studio... we got some funny looks in work when we told people that we'd both just graduated recently :D

as far as college choice goes i can highly recommend pulse obviously but at the same time there are equally good options. STC has a proven record with some great engineers having come from there and poppyhill has a very good name, lovely people by all accounts.

my advise would be to ring them and organise a tour of their facilities. naomi moore down in pulse couldnt be nicer to deal with. im sure both STC and poppyhill could make similiar arrangements for you.

good luck :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 decko69

well done on thinking about doing it. im 33 and just finished the pulse 2 year course.

if you're in a position that you can afford it then i'd say go for it. it really is a great experience. i had a few years of releasing/engineering techno and doing a small amount of band stuff before i went there, so you can imagine i had my ideas on how to work. college showed me differant ways of working and especially thought me about dealing with musicians, which was great as it was a road i was moving down previously anyway.

i ended up getting a studio position thru a recommendation from someone in the college. also, one of my "mature student" classmates now works with me in the same studio... we got some funny looks in work when we told people that we'd both just graduated recently :D

as far as college choice goes i can highly recommend pulse obviously but at the same time there are equally good options. STC has a proven record with some great engineers having come from there and poppyhill has a very good name, lovely people by all accounts.

my advise would be to ring them and organise a tour of their facilities. naomi moore down in pulse couldnt be nicer to deal with. im sure both STC and poppyhill could make similiar arrangements for you.

good luck :cool:
    i forgot to mention im living in west cork lol but i think i would consider moving MAYBE , that would be a big deal , and im also not realy in a position to pay , well perhaps is it was not so much money maybe , maybe there is no hope lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

decko69 wrote: »
    i forgot to mention im living in west cork lol but i think i would consider moving MAYBE , that would be a big deal , and im also not realy in a position to pay , well perhaps is it was not so much money maybe , maybe there is no hope lol

Would you consider the music technology courses in LIT or Tralee IT perhaps? More accessible from your location and cheaper than the private colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 decko69

flyswatter wrote: »
    Would you consider the music technology courses in LIT or Tralee IT perhaps? More accessible from your location and cheaper than the private colleges.
    You know i would consider that course Ive been looking at it and i have a friend who is in his second year of this course in Manooth , and it sounds like exactly what im after , i didnt know that it was available at Tralee IT though , i knew it was in limrick but thats too far for me to comute , im living nere Casteltownbere so i think maybe Tralee might be doable ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Raftor!

If you were more interested in music production end of things i could highly recommend nightmakers studio in dublin, its only one class a week which could work for travel.
    A lot cheaper than most of the courses in that kind of area and the people that teach are some of the best in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Try a Masters in Music Technology, particularly since you were asking about MSP etc. . The one in Dundalk is funded so it works out very cheap: http://ww2.dkit.ie/courses/dk962

or this maybe down your neck of the woods : http://www.cit.ie/index.cfm?page=course&id=1914

ignore the requirement for a degree and just apply...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kabaal

Yeh, also try the MA/Msc in UL. I've been there since September and it's really good. It's funded under a technology scheme and as such only costs €2500 as opposed to the €5000+ your gonna pay in the private colleges (STC or Pulse) in Dublin.

The private colleges typically allow greater access to studios and provide a greater focus on employment and professional development but wouldn't cover to any great extent the artistic (cringe), theorectical or technology stuff involved in music production which may be something your after.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement