Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race league tables based on polls

• 02-01-2011 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

Just another idea we mods have been floating about. To make the best of the race polls we've decided to only open them for 2 weeks and the total at the end of the 2 weeks will be taken and the race will be ranked according to how you voted.
    Going to start with 2011 races only.
    And I'm just using Tom Brennan 5k as an example for now

Road races
    Name|Category|Route|Rating|Total votes
    Tom Brennan memorial |5K|Yes|5 stars|1 vote

Mountain running races
    N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

Marathons
    N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

Cross country
    N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

Track
    N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

Triathlon
    N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

Adventure racing
    N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A|N/A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

How about adding adventure races too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fi H wrote: »
    How about adding adventure races too!

Absolutely, will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Good idea Dave - there was a wealth of feedback in 2010 which probably ought to have been captured like this.

I'd suggest though that only races with at least (say) 5 votes ought to qualify or you'll end up with hundreds of small races with one or two 5* votes and the bigger races - which people really want to know about - lost in the melee.

You could get more complex and split 'big' and 'small' races but probably best to see how in pans out like this first.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Good idea Dave - there was a wealth of feedback in 2010 which probably ought to have been captured like this.

I'd suggest though that only races with at least (say) 5 votes ought to qualify or you'll end up with hundreds of small races with one or two 5* votes and the bigger races - which people really want to know about - lost in the melee.

You could get more complex and split 'big' and 'small' races but probably best to see how in pans out like this first.

Agreed, I have Tom Brennan just in there as an example and the garmin reading and details are included in the table.

Cheers for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Woddle, you could throw in Cross Country races as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Not so sure I agree with only posting the 5 star races. I would be more interested in hearing about the races people dont recommend to make sure I avoid them :D With so much to choose from I would hate to waste an entry on something poor!

Also I know you guys are pretty serious about racing but how about adding another rating category for the social side of the race? I know there are after partys at a lot of the adventure races some better than others - always good for beginners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

I don't think that's the intention Fi - in fact it's important that the below-par races are highlighted. That way, if the RDs are watching, the overall standard can only go up.

I'd still like to see an Irish federation of races to set minimum standards, but until that happens then this will be a useful contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Fi H wrote: »
    Not so sure I agree with only posting the 5 star races.

i think he mite mean races wit 5 votes,rather than 5star votes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Here is the feedback from the 2010 races

I've only included races which had at least 5 voters in the poll. They're grouped into sub-marathon, marathon and longer, adventure, triathlon, and IMRA.

(yes, I have been very bored at work - why do you ask?)

RayCun wrote: »

I've only included races which had at least 5 voters in the poll. They're grouped into sub-marathon, marathon and longer, adventure, triathlon, and IMRA.

Great stuff Raycun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

RayCun wrote: »

Nice one RayCun!

The polls are a great addition (another good one from the brain of Woddle), but a couple of times I've noticed them being deliberately abused:
    *race organizers giving a low vote to rival races they have not run in,
    *friends of race organizers giving a high vote to races they have not run in,
    *Posters with no post count in the A/R/T forum skewing poll counts (DM poll for example)

Usually this nonsense is notable when you look at the actual poll, but can skew average results. Nothing really to be done about it, although perhaps deliberate skewing like this should be factored out when calculating average (and I emphasize "deliberate").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My impression was that the surveys with more voters tended to have slightly lower votes. This could be because people like the atmosphere at small races more, or have higher expectations of large races, but ballot stuffing probably comes into it too. That's why I included the number of voters - a lot of votes means the result is more reliable.

(Now, if I were a bored-at-work statistician I could make a fancy chart to illustrate all this, with error bars on the ratings and everything... but I'm not, so I won't.)

*Edit- taking this off a sticky Feb 18th 2011, idea never took off*

Advertisement