Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a particular fruit...

Options
  • 02-01-2011 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

i thought this might be the best place to get some info...

I'm looking for a fruit that I have eaten a few times but have never managed to get the name of. Usually in Ireland I've only ever found it in little speciality fruit shops. Got in in Italy (they were everywhere) but of course no idea what it's called. I mostly just jumped around and went "oooh, I love them, 4 please!" while bouncing and pointing. :rolleyes:

It's kind of like the lovechild fruit of a tomato and a mango. It's red/orange, and has very gloopy insides, with massive seeds inside that are arranged quite like a tomato. The seeds are covered by a kind of jelly like substance. it tastes really fresh and light, not what you'd expect from looking at it. if i saw a picture I'd be able to say "yeah that's it".

Anyone have any ideas? After the excess of christmas & new years my body is crying out for fruit and veg and this one in particular. :confused:

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

A pomegranate?

I'm just going on your description of the seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

sounds like a passionfruit maybe?

passion-fruit.jpg

hope that helps!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, sounds like a passion fruit ^^ or pomegranate:

pomegranate.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks a million fir the replies all. It's none of the fruits mentioned. The seeds ere way bigger and the flesh is a lit more runny / jelly-like...

They're also really heavy for their size, which is about the size of small coconut maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,460 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

would it be a custard apple?
    custard_apple_australian.jpg

sold widely in mediteranian areas, and they had them in caviston's in glasthule recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it a Tamarillo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is it red/orange on the outside or inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I agree, it sounds like a tamarillo, sweet and tangy but really fresh. Its pretty hard to get hold of here, but i did see a green grocers in Galway that had them before Christmas, its in the Eyre Sq shopping centre. Mr Beans is the name i think.

603px-Tamarillos.jpg

Nope, not a tamarillo!

It's proving as difficult to figure out the name of as it is to find the feckin thing in a shop!!!

The fruit is red/orange on the outside and more of an orange on the inside... I've trawled through my holiday photos of the trip to Italy where I ate it loads and not a single shot! :mad:

Also, the seeds are pretty big (kinda like melon seeds, maybe?, not that densely packed though, and covered in a jelly-like substance... And the seeds are a pale kind of colour...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

• Advertisement

ALL HAIL STAR-PANTS!

:D:D:D

Thanks soooo much! Ok, now I just have to figure out where you can buy them in Dublin (pref city centre!)

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Try an asian food store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

^^ as above, I was going to say try a similar type shop, might be known/named as kaki fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've been trying to find the name of them for years!! Thanks!

Just an FYI, I found some this morning! There's a small fruit shop on Nassau St, near Brewbaker cafe and they had a bunch of them on an outside stand this morning. YAY!

Thanks again everyone for all your help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i'm pretty sure tesco have these in stock from time to time... they are sooo very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

They also show up at Dunnes in Cornelscourt from time to time, saw some there in December.

Advertisement