Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

• 02-01-2011 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

I recently got an Acer laptop. It has Windows 7 on it.

I not an expert when it comes to computers so any help on my problem is appreciated.

Anyway, I had an eircom modem (the silver one) at home that was sent to us in either late 2008 or some time in 2009 so as I got a new laptop I though I'd set this new modem up and take down the old one.

Everthing seems to be going grand regarding the internet but what worried me is someone said that them eircom CD's are incompatible with Windows 7, is that true?

For the record it says 'installation software and documentation edition 4' on the disc.

I now know I didnt need to use or run that disc but unfortunately I didnt know at the time.

After the installation appeared to be complete, a message appeard saying it may not have been installed properly but give me an option of ticking a thing saying 'yes it did install properly' or a box saying 'install manually' or something of that ilk.

I clicked the box that said install manually but them just 'X'd out and didnt do anything else.

I was told I could unistalled this programme but it doesnt appear on the programmes list. All there is, is an eircom logo on the computer homscreen which if you click takes you to their site.

I rang customer support a few times but although all of them said it would would be ok, it wouldnt do any harm, none appeared to know whether anything was installed. One guy did say if it was installed it could be well hidden or something. :confused:

Although the net appears to be going grand, I am angry that I may have half installed something into the laptop that didnt need to be installed. Or half intalled a programme or software. So how would I get rid of anything that may have been installed? When I searched for the terms 'eircom' the only thing that came up was that shorcut to their homepage. when i searched for 'netopia' and 'motorola' (motorola must be the manufacturer) nothing came up.

On a final note when I started the procedure (the CD) I think, a message did come up from motorola saying it may alter something to do with the computer. I think it did but I'm not 100% thats what it said.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Relax and enjoy your laptop.

Go to the Control Panel and check Programs and Features. If anything did install it should be listed there. This feature should allow you to uninstall anything that you do not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if there was an installer on the disc that you ran, re-running it may also give you the option to uninstall whatever it installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

vibe666 wrote: »
    if there was an installer on the disc that you ran, re-running it may also give you the option to uninstall whatever it installed.
    Cheers, I may try that.

Btw, Although it was prob obvious, I am using wireless, I heard you only need the CD for ethernet.

Cheers, I may try that.

Btw, Although it was prob obvious, I am using wireless, I heard you only need the CD for ethernet.

You dont need to run the cd at all.

You can do all the necessary set up manually. Just access the router to insert the necessary settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

dub45 wrote: »
    You dont need to run the cd at all.

You can do all the necessary set up manually. Just access the router to insert the necessary settings.

I know that now! Pity I didnt know at the time.

All I want top know is could there have been anything installed (programme or software) that wouldn't appear on the control panel? And how would I get rid and just start again by do it manually

It appears the only ting the CD put on was a shortcut to the eircom page

• Advertisement

You are best to stop worrying and enjoy your laptop.

If the eircom install disc did any "damage" in terms of installing anything bad it would have feature here on boards long ago.

Just for the record for anyone setting up a new dsl internet connection with a new modem/router you will need to make sure the following settings are in place:

Username: eircom
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

The username and password will vary depending on your isp but the other settings are common to all dsl providers.

Advertisement