Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Laptops?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know where i can buy a gaming laptop? because i can't buy one online because i've no credit card. Any idea what stores would sell them? Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Gaming laptops are not worth the money, even worse value if not bought online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Alternatively, setup an Ulster Bank account and get a Visa Debit card. Its not a credit card, but it is accepted as one for the purposes of online transactions. Furthermore, no charges on usage at ATMs, POS and Online retailers.

I don't work for Ulster Bank. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

finipops wrote: »
    Hi, Does anyone know where i can buy a gaming laptop? because i can't buy one online because i've no credit card. Any idea what stores would sell them? Thanks for any answers.

As said above Gaming laptops are overpriced rubbish when compaired to a desktop system.

Check out www.3v.ie for your online shopping issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I bought an MSI GX740 from Komplett with Laser.

Great laptop, handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I bought this beast in the Sony Centre last summer and it's been brilliant. Plays everything I throw at it, including Crysis and Bad Company 2 with very little compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I wanted a laptop that I could use for all sorts of things (Video/Audio editing / Design / Gaming / etc) so I bought a Dell Studio 17 - 4GB Ram, 250 HDD (already have 3TB of storage), and ATI Radeon 4650.

The 4650 is average but can play nearly every modern game I've put on it at High settings (even Crysis with a bit of tweaking). Thought plenty of games out there play rubbish on it (that's more down to poor optimisation of the game with ATI cards than the laptop itself but you can find fixes easily enough for them)

If you want a dedicated gaming rig go build a desktop for yourself, very easy and a far cheaper than buying a pre-made one.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

My Dell Studio XPS 17 hasn't let me down yet, I did have to get a fan base for the bottom for when I was playing some games as there is some problems with heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The only downside real downside I can see to gaming laptops is that when running them the laptop tends to get quite hot. The keyboard side becomes quite warm, it never becomes unbearable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I got an XPS 15 from dell just before christmas. Working fine so far, though all I've played is crysis and a bit of oblivion. Price was good too, about €800.

Not gonna get ulta-high settings out of it but crysis plays fine on high. Beastly set of speakers and a sub-woofer on the thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've personally never understood why anyone would choose a gaming laptop over a desktop.

They are more expensive (I'm comparing to a self-build but even then), less scalable and you are forever limited to something like a 17' screen.

If you are interested in mobility then buy a cheap run-of-the-mill laptop with the savings you make from building your own desktop.

Still, despite all the above, it's a powerful computer nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They're very handy if you're into lans, pain in the ass lugging a tower\monitor\cables etc around. If you're not using it for lans go with what the others said, good desktop config is helluva lot cheaper and better. got a dell XPS 1530 and most games ran pretty good on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They're very handy if you're into lans, pain in the ass lugging a tower\monitor\cables etc around. If you're not using it for lans go with what the others said, good desktop config is helluva lot cheaper and better. got a dell XPS 1530 and most games ran pretty good on it.

The pain of lugging a desktop and 20inch crt are nothing compared to the pain of playing games on a laptop all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I actually like playing games on my laptop, I'm so used to the touchpad that I don't use my once-trusty USB mouse anymore.

I actually find my reaction times and precision to be excellent on the touchpad when playing FPS. All at the power of my middle finger on the pad and my thumb on the button. :pac:

Everything else I just use me Xbox + PS2 controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The HP Envy laptops are pretty damn nice and if I was in the market it'd be a toss up between one of those and the Dell XPS range.

The Acer Aspire 5551G series also look pretty good for those on a budget.

If I had money to burn and wanted a more compact job then I'd go for the Alienware M11x.

There are some benchmarks in those reviews which should point you in the right direction anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm looking at this one at the moment.
    http://computershopper.com/holidayguide/2010/asus-republic-of-gamers-g73jh

It seems pretty sweet for the price. The only problem being that Amazon.com won't ship it here. There is a similar one on Amazon.co.uk but is priced at nearly £3000 :eek::eek::eek:.

Would love some input about the rig guy's.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Ive always used laptops for gaming (will get a desktop soon though) and bought a Gateway FX in the states for 1000USD about a year and a half ago or more.

Handles every game I have thrown at it so far (havnt tried crysis though) but likes of Fallout NV, Starcraft 2, WOW, AVP etc with no bother. But like any laptop dont forget they do need cleaning of dust after time and replacing of thermal paste. My temps dropped from 90 to 60 when gaming heavily after replacing the paste (so dont let the heat issue put you off)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I actually like playing games on my laptop, I'm so used to the touchpad that I don't use my once-trusty USB mouse anymore.

I actually find my reaction times and precision to be excellent on the touchpad when playing FPS. All at the power of my middle finger on the pad and my thumb on the button. :pac:

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

weiland79 wrote: »

It seems pretty sweet for the price. The only problem being that Amazon.com won't ship it here. There is a similar one on Amazon.co.uk but is priced at nearly £3000 :eek::eek::eek:.

Thanks.

I can't imagine that you would get it in Europe for anything near the US price, which incidentally might not include tax. Even if you could find somewhere willing to send it, I would imagine that import duty and P&P would hammer any savings you would make.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

weiland79 wrote: »

Thanks.

The thoughts of the beast of a desktop you could build for that money with a bit put aside for future upgrades makes me cry at the waste that are gaming laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Actually Alienware's new range is pretty reasonable:

3505lkp.png

Genuine unaltered screenshot.

Advertisement