Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham -v- Charlton 9th Jan 1330 (match thread)

Options
  • 02-01-2011 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

I know that this is early to start a match thread but I was struggling to figure out when this game was being played given that the gooners were also drawn at home and were playing at lunchtime on Saturday. We play Charlton at 1.30pm on Sunday 9th. At this moment it does not seem that this match will be shown on any TV station worldwide and, given that it directly clashes with the Man Utd v Liverpool game, this may not change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

My p2p should give you a link thought if you're interested in watching it online.
    As for the match, IMO anyways, its not at all important, we should field a half strong team, but Harry being English will probably take it very seriously. Hopefully it they wont pose much of a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Will the p2p work if no TV stations are covering it? I had presumed that it wouldn't. Doesn't bloody matter anyway. Just been told by the boss that we are going to the panto at 1pm on Sunday :(

As for the team, I think that we should rest as many as possible and take a chance. Would it be the end of the world if we were knocked out of the FA Cup. Should the following not be good enough to equal Charlton
    Pletikosa/Cudacini,
    Corluka, Bassong, Dawson, Gallas
    Bentley/Beckham?, Sandro, Jenas, Krancjar,
    Defoe, Crouch

Players just coming back (Dawson, Gallas, Defoe) get a valuable run. Usual subs all get a game and we rest the guys who have played a lot. Win/win. Anyway it is generally accepted that we have the best squad in the league so we need to start using it

More importantly, three points to be won first at Goodison on Wednesday night before we turn our sights to Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Does the ginger Pele still play for Charlton?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

He sure does!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not gonna lie here, I loved him. So out of his depth and I think he just knew that he shouldn't have been playing at the level he was at. A sad day when he eventually left.

Anyway, playbthe reserves. No way I think we can fight on three fronts. Play as weak as a team we can (which will hopefully still beat Charlton) till we get knocked out.

• Advertisement

I heard that they let their manager go today. I hope that we don't see a bounce-back reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Gareth Bale will be rested as Harry Redknapp expects to make changes for the visit of Charlton in the FA Cup Third Round on Sunday.

The Welshman suffered a back spasm in the midweek defeat at Everton but the manager reports the injury is not thought to be serious.

And Gareth will not be the only regular sitting out this London derby as Harry looks to rotate his squad against the Addicks.

Jermain Defoe is available again after suspension and is expected to start, while there could also be places in the side for the likes of Vedran Corluka, Sandro and Niko Kranjcar.

Tom Huddlestone, Ledley King, Jamie O’Hara and Jonathan Woodgate remain sidelined through injury, while Younes Kaboul serves the final game of his three-match ban.

Players that shouldn't play at all:

Luka Modric
    Rafael Van der Vaart
    Gareth Bale
    Mcihael Dawson
    Willian Gallas
    BAE
    Alan Hutton
    Peter Crouch

Players that shouldn't be risked:
    Pav
    Palacios
    Lennon
    Gomes

We have more than enough cover to field a team capable of beating Charlton without them. I'd go;

Pletikosa
    Charlie --- Bassong --- Khumolo (spelling?) --- ?
    Bentley --- Jenas --- Sandro --- Kranjcar
    Defoe --- Keane

Dont know who to put LB, is Kaboul still suspended? Would like to see the new lad in action, didn't see much of him in SA and know very little tbh. Would like to see Gio given a game too, and if O' Hara is fit perhaps he should get 10 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's an odd thing to say but I don't care one bit about this game. I realise the importance of the FA Cup and the prestige that goes with it, but we need to be at full strength for the Utd game next weekend and I believe this is just a distraction. I'm with THFC on the player list too. Everyone speaks about our strength in depth, well maybe Harry can show us by leaving our key, more-likely-to-be-injured players out. VDV, Bale, Modric must not play, under any circumstances.

Kaboul out for another game. Gallas could play on Sunday at left-back - he hasn't had much football lately and we have cover for him with Dawson & Kaboul. I presume that Woodgate isn't close enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Dawson should be fairly fresh considering he's only just back. Bassong needs games so he should play. Charlie is only just back in the team after a long time out so he's okay.

Cudicini

Corluka Dawson Bassong A.N Other

Bentley Jenas Sandro Kranjear

Keane
    Defoe/Pav

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Cudicini

Corluka Dawson Bassong A.N Other

Bentley Jenas Sandro Kranjear

Keane
    Defoe/Pav

I'd be suprised if either Bentley or Keane would want to get themselves cup-tied, seeing as they'll both be moving shortly.

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I'd be suprised if either Bentley or Keane would want to get themselves cup-tied, seeing as they'll both be moving shortly.
    Very good point. Gio would come in then with Pav probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I would go with:

Pletikosa
    Charlie
    Dawson
    Bassong
    Gallas
    Krancjar
    Sandro
    Jenas
    Gio
    Crouch
    Defoe

Crouch has not started many games recently (everton excepted) so that is why I have gone with him instead of Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

on the p2p streams. if there is highlights on match of the day there is camera so surely some streams will be working.

delighted to hear harry is resting some players. as stated above i dont care too much about this game. we should have a squad to win this match either way. fringe players who wont be sold to play those who will be sold any point cup tie-ing them?

so this isnt on the tele no?
    any way come on you spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone travelling tomorrow be warned, trains are cúnted from Stansted with a bus replacement running between Stansted and Bishops Stortford.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hadn't realised Gary Doherty was with Charlton. He should get a good welcome tomorrow.
    Gary Doherty was influential in Spurs’ run to the FA Cup semi-final 10 years ago, scoring three goals in that run.

kakee wrote: »
    Hadn't realised Gary Doherty was with Charlton. He should get a good welcome tomorrow.

Never really made the grade at Premier league level, as he wasnt belessed with talent but never the less a player who put in 100% that he had for Spurs and also for Ireland.

I hope he does get a good round of applause tomorrow. Players like himself, deserve it.

1248: Tottenham v Charlton line-ups:
    Tottenham: Cudicini, Corluka, Bassong, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto, Kranjcar, Palacios, Sandro, Townsend, Pavlyuchenko, Defoe.
    Subs: Pletikosa, Hutton, Lennon, Jenas, Van der Vaart, Modric.
    Charlton: Elliot, Francis, Jackson, Semedo, Doherty, Wagstaff, Dailly, Racon, McCormack, Anyinsah, Fry.
    Subs: Worner, Llera, Abbott, Reid, Sodje, Fortune, Jenkinson.
    Referee: Michael Oliver (Northumberland)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Really wish this was on tv glad Sandro and Andros are getting starts though. Following the game on twitter:(

Really wish this was on tv glad Sandro and Andros are getting starts though. Following the game on twitter:(

Listening to it on Spurs website.

Listening to commentary on BBC Radio London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_london

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

Modric on for Palacios at the start of the second half.

Luka on at HT, hopefully he can liven things up.

Goal Andy Townsend..

Goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭philon

2-0 Defoe

2 nil, JD. Looking forward to the draw now.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    2 nil, JD. Looking forward to the draw now.
    Wouldn't mind another just to be safe

Advertisement