Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What has happened to Gianluigi Buffon?

• 02-01-2011 3:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

He has been quiet for 2 and a half-3 years now. He hasn't been mentioned as much and hasn't been getting awards or spots in them "Team of the year" thingies.

Is he over the hill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Been ravaged with injuries afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Injured at the World Cup wasn't he?

Harsh for him to miss the game at Tallaght, but that's life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he designs snoodies for a living now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

He hasn't played since the injury at the World Cup. He had surgery and has been back in training for the last few days.

Before the injury, he was as brilliant as ever. In his absence, Marco Storari has been very impressive and I doubt Gigi will walk straight back into the team when he is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

He hasn't played since the injury at the World Cup. He had surgery and has been back in training for the last few days.

Before the injury, he was as brilliant as ever. In his absence, Marco Storari has been very impressive and I doubt Gigi will walk straight back into the team when he is fit.

Considering his injury problems, I think there is a good chance Juve will give him lots of opportunities to play in the hope of cashing in on him in the Summer.

• Advertisement

He won't be leaving.

He won't be leaving.

What makes you so sure? Hasn't public sentiment gone against him in recent months? I remember reading a lot of fans were unhappy with a perceived lack of effort into getting fit again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What makes you so sure? Hasn't public sentiment gone against him in recent months? I remember reading a lot of fans were unhappy with a perceived lack of effort into getting fit again.

I would love Buffon to go to United, but he will never leave Juventus. This is a player who stayed with Juve even when they were relegated.

What makes you so sure?
    He and the club have both repeatedly said the he won't be going anywhere.
    Hasn't public sentiment gone against him in recent months? I remember reading a lot of fans were unhappy with a perceived lack of effort into getting fit again.
    What you're talking about is one thing Gigi Delneri (the manager) said to the media along the lines of he hadn't seen Buffon in Vinovo (Juve's training ground) in a while and that he should come to visit his team mates. It was a light-hearted comment that was hyped up by the media. I don't think any Juve fans have ever really turned against Buffon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

But isn't it common enough for Serie A's top players to move from a top club to another one? ie Pirlo, Inzaghi, Zambrotta, Vieri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He and the club have both repeatedly said the he won't be going anywhere.

What you're talking about is one thing Gigi Delneri (the manager) said to the media along the lines of he hadn't seen Buffon in Vinovo (Juve's training ground) in a while and that he should come to visit his team mates. It was a light-hearted comment that was hyped up by the media. I don't think any Juve fans have ever really turned against Buffon.

Wasn't the issue that instead of turning up to the training ground or to watch matches from the stands, he was spending all of his time watching the lower-league club which he has shares in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

R.I.P.

resting inbetween procedures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

He should be back after the winter break. Can wait to see him back.

CorkMan wrote: »
    But isn't it common enough for Serie A's top players to move from a top club to another one? ie Pirlo, Inzaghi, Zambrotta, Vieri.
    Pirlo wasn't a top player at all when he left Inter. He hadn't even been moved to his deep-lying playmaker position yet. He was a second striker.

Yeah, the others have moved between top clubs but Zambrotta only did so after Juve were relegated. There are also the likes Buffon, Del Piero, Totti, De Rossi, Maldini, Gattuso, who never moved between top clubs.
    Wasn't the issue that instead of turning up to the training ground or to watch matches from the stands, he was spending all of his time watching the lower-league club which he has shares in?
    That was mentioned as well. It's just not true though. At almost every Juve match since he was injured, the camera has shown him (and Pavel Nedved) in the crowd. He might have missed a few but he definitely went to a lot of them.

Carrarese is the club he is a shareholder of btw.
    Pauleta wrote: »
    He should be back after the winter break. Can wait to see him back.
    Apparently he could even be fit for the Parma match on Thursday. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

poor Storari! Will have to move Again for first team football. Will be plenty of offers anyway.

Apparently he could even be fit for the Parma match on Thursday. :eek:

I hope he doesn't pull his groin or something if he comes on.

Seaneh wrote: »
    poor Storari! Will have to move Again for first team football. Will be plenty of offers anyway.

Yeah, it'll be very harsh on him if he's dropped the second Gigi is fit. Storari has been great this season. Neither of them will accept being on the bench though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yeah, it'll be very harsh on him if he's dropped the second Gigi is fit. Storari has been great this season. Neither of them will accept being on the bench though.

I think Marco always knew the reality of the situation. He left Milan to play for half a season and probably then move on. Quality 'keeper though. Probably the best in Italy in the calender year 2010.

Back in action.

tnsc-1843208954.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Jaysus he was giving the groin a good go there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/si121.html

Good article on his situation at the moment. If true, I'd be amazed if Utd or Arsenal don't jump on the opportunity. He says he wants to play til 40, which might be a bit of a stretch but if he made it to 38 it'd still be well worth it.

He is on 6 millions euros a year? He could make 9 to 10 million a year if he moved.

Selling him now wouldn't make any sense. Juve wouldn't even get that much after him not playing for 6 months. Anyway, I'll eat my snood if Juve sell him.

CorkMan wrote: »
    He is on 6 millions euros a year? He could make 9 to 10 million a year if he moved.

The article suggests that's his net.

http://www.juventus.com/site/eng/NEWS_newseventi_E52996E52722463CA56F2C44F726BF7C.asp

5 January 2011
    Buffon, best goalkeeper of the last 10 years

Waiting to find his place among posts again (it will happen next Thursday in Coppa Italia), Gigi Buffon lived another important day. He received the nth award for his career. The “Istituto Internazionale di Storia e Statistica del Calcio” (IFFHS) designated him as last decade’s best goalkeeper.

Buffon, who has been elected year’s best goalkeeper on four out of these ten years, was ahead of Casillas, Cech, Van Der Sar and Kahn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Buffon, who has been elected year’s best goalkeeper on four out of these ten years, was ahead of Casillas, Cech, Van Der Sar and Kahn.

Heh, if he was the best of the last decade he's ahead of more than just these :D

Looks unlikely now to make the squad for tomorrow (11:30am :eek: our time) vs Parma

Heh, if he was the best of the last decade he's ahead of more than just these :D

Looks unlikely now to make the squad for tomorrow (11:30am :eek: our time) vs Parma
    Nelson Dida, Jens Lehmann, Roberto Carlos Abbodanzieri, Victor Valdes and Julio Cesar completed the top 10.

Well he definitely won't be starting tomorrow anyway. Delneri has confirmed that he'll make his comeback against Catania in the Cup next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The article suggests that's his net.

..and he's minding it......

• Advertisement

He made his comeback to competitive action tonight against Catania in the Cup. He played 90 minutes. Didn't have much to do but made one great save towards the end. He got the captain's armband for the last minute or so when Del Piero was subbed off. Juve won 2-0.

After the match, he did a lap of the pitch greeting the fans all over the stadium and threw his gloves, jersey and pants into the crowd.

He also had this to say: "A lot of people told me how I made a huge mistake by staying with Juve and not leaving to win some trophies with another club. They were right, I could have won but I would have never had the chills from the Juve fans in Turin."

Advertisement