Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Always remembered 40 years on

• 02-01-2011 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭

Today see's the 40th Anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster when 66 Men, children and woman lost there lives.
    Its at times like this that you realise football is only a game

Margaret Ferguson (18)
    Robert Maxwell (15)
    Robert McAdam (36)
    James Sibbald (28)
    Hugh Addie (33)
    John Neil (29)
    James Rae (19)
    David Duff (23)
    James Trainer (20)
    John Gardiner (32)
    Mason Phillip (14) (pronounced Philp)
    John McLeay (23)
    Richard McLeay (28)
    Thomas Grant (16)
    Nigel Pickup (8)
    Peter Easton (13)
    Brian Todd (14)
    Robert Mulholland (16)
    Russell Morgan (14)
    Matthew Reid (49)
    Charles Livingston (30)
    John Semple (18)
    Brian Hutchinson (16)
    James Grey (37)
    Alex McIntyre (29)
    Charles Dougan (31)
    Thomas Melville (17)
    George Irwin (22)
    George Findlay (21)
    David McGhee (14)
    Walter Raeburn (36)
    Walter Shields (15)
    John Jeffrey (16)
    James McGovern (24)
    James Mair (19)
    George Adams (43)
    Ian Hunter (14)
    John Buchanan (32)
    David Anderson (45)
    Russell Malcolm (16)
    Thomas Stirling (16)
    Alexander Orr (16)
    Robert Rae (25)
    George Wilson (15)
    Thomas McRobbie (17)
    William Somerhill (17)
    John Crawford (23)
    Donald McPherson (30)
    Francis Dover (16)
    Adam Henderson (42)
    Douglas Morrison (15)
    Thomas Dickson (32)
    Ronald Paton (14)
    Robert Cairns (17)
    Peter Wright (31)
    Donald Sutherland (14)
    Duncan McBrearty (17)
    Ian Frew (21)
    Robert Grant (21)
    William Shaw (30)
    Richard Barke (15)
    Robert Carrigan (13)
    Peter Farries (26)
    Charles Stirling (20)
    Andrew Lindsay (18)
    George Smith (40)

R.I.P. The 66

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Jesus, almost half the people there were under 25.:(
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

RIP the 66

0,,5~9196693,00.png

a flag liverpool fans drew up earlier in the year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Lets hope the fans can honour the minutes silence as ive seen what happens at a minutes silence when theres an old firm game which is disgracefull.

Where all the fans that died Rangers fans or were some Celtic fans also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

snaps wrote: »
    Lets hope the fans can honour the minutes silence as ive seen what happens at a minutes silence when theres an old firm game which is disgracefull.

All Gers(possible neutrals) afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

All Gers fans though I believe a couple of the injured were tic fans
    Funny thing is I don't believe any tic fans will disrupt this silence

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Cant see anything but total respect for the minutes silence on both sides and from a hibee RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

All Gers fans though I believe a couple of the injured were tic fans
    Funny thing is I don't believe any tic fans will disrupt this silence
    Any Celtic "fans" who disrespect this deserve a good kicking.RIP. Mon the celts in the game though,Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Fingers crossed then, Im a neutral, I love these old firm games, Just some of the stuff that is chanted sometimes annoys me, from both sets of supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Delighted there were no clowns disrupting the minutes silence

• Advertisement

it is sad to think that this stupid sectarian divide still exists 40 years on when something as tragic as this should have put things into perspective. RIP to the 66.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

it is sad to think that this stupid sectarian divide still exists 40 years on when something as tragic as this should have put things into perspective. RIP to the 66.

What stupid sectarian divide??? Do you know what you're talking about?

Fingers crossed then, Im a neutral, I love these old firm games, Just some of the stuff that is chanted sometimes annoys me, from both sets of supporters.

So which chants actually annoy you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Can we not leave this ****e out of this thread at least please? :(

It's about 66 football fans who lost their lives in a tragedy, not chants or sectarianism. Bit of respect ffs.

i was pointing out that the age old differences between these two clubs which is religious based and politically based, didn't decline in any way despite the tragic crush that happened at ibrox in 1971 and that the suporters of both clubs didn't relinquish any hatred for each other over the years despite being given a harsh reality on the fragility of life. Pretty straight forward enough point im sorry you didn't get it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

maybe he is talking about the people that use this match as an excuse to vent their bigotry on both sides. stop trying to ruin a thread with debate he made a good point imo.

i was pointing out that the age old differences between these two clubs which is religious based and politically based, didn't decline in any way despite the tragic crush that happened at ibrox in 1971 and that the suporters of both clubs didn't relinquish any hatred for each other over the years despite being given a harsh reality on the fragility of life. Pretty straight forward enough point im sorry you didn't get it :rolleyes:

tbh i dont see how the Ibrox tragedy was going to chnage long held and deep rooted beliefs. I wasn't intentionally having a go at you, it's just that the rivalry is too ingrained imo.

tbh i dont see how the Ibrox tragedy was going to chnage long held and deep rooted beliefs. I wasn't intentionally having a go at you, it's just that the rivalry is too ingrained imo.

Sad but true and that's the shocking thing

Sad but true and that's the shocking thing

Well i don't see what is necessarily shocking about long standing rivalry but anywya this thread is not the place to start arguing about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Despite the best efforts of the media to hype this up, it was always going to be observed by Celtic fans.

Hopefully Rangers fans will repay the respect by stopping singing slanderous songs about the Celtic manager who helped tend to the wounded 40 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No chance that this would be disrupted, this is not the Queen Mother or remembering British soldiers, this is ordinary people of the West of Scotland that were being remembered.

_50640387_silence.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Fair play to Celtic FC and their fans for keeping the minutes silence. There were a lot of media and your typical idiots predicting that there would be boos so they could ridicule the Glasgow rivalry like usual.

Warper wrote: »
    Fair play to Celtic FC and their fans for keeping the minutes silence. There were a lot of media and your typical idiots predicting that there would be boos so they could ridicule the Glasgow rivalry like usual.
    Lots of Celtic fans are related, married to, or have pals,even sons or daughters who are rangers fans.This dreadful event affected Celtic fans as well.It was always going to be respected.

Your only jealous coz spurs v your lot is a pussy derby in comparison.:P

Despite the best efforts of the media to hype this up, it was always going to be observed by Celtic fans.

Hopefully Rangers fans will repay the respect by stopping singing slanderous songs about the Celtic manager who helped tend to the wounded 40 years ago.
    The old ditty about the famine being over could be heard loudly spewing from the stands today.Only by a "small minority" though as Im sure your well aware.

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    The old ditty about the famine being over could be heard loudly spewing from the stands today.Only by a "small minority" though as Im sure your well aware.

At least they had the decency not to abuse Jock Stein with the day that was in it.

As were song such as Oh a up the Ra
    no side is without there morons but this thread is not about songs

As were song such as Oh a up the Ra
    no side is without there morons but this thread is not about songs

That was Ooh aah Samaras, but as you say, this thread is above point scoring.

Oh that was sung as well as the one I mentioned ;)

• Advertisement

It surely was, but wrong thread as you say.

Well i don't see what is necessarily shocking about long standing rivalry but anywya this thread is not the place to start arguing about this.

I'm not looking for any argument and i feel i made a very valid point and i don't regret it for one moment. There is rivalry in sport like for example the majority of Tipp and Kilkenny who can sit in the same stand without battering each other and then there is pure ignorant bigotry in some derby's and not just the old firm. That's all i will say on the matter and i think you will find i paid my respect to the dead.

I'm not looking for any argument and i feel i made a very valid point and i don't regret it for one moment. There is rivalry in sport like for example the majority of Tipp and Kilkenny who can sit in the same stand without battering each other and then there is pure ignorant bigotry in some derby's and not just the old firm. That's all i will say on the matter and i think you will find i paid my respect to the dead.

But you can't compare a Gah rivalry based on the stroke of a British civil servants pen on a map with a football one, let alone the Glasgow Derby which encompasses politics, religion and culture. Tribalism, which football is, does not equate with bigotry. The Gah produces plenty of messy games at club level, where the difference between you and them matters, which it fundamentally doesn't in the county system, as its a British invention and has no actual basis in the real world.

Lots of celtic & rangers fans are best mates,family etc. as Ive earlier said.Get off the aul high horse now.Tipp v KK- What a stupid comparison. The Glasgow divide is akin to the Belfast divide in many cases. Areas are segregated etc.-no go areas. Tipp-KK. Tis just a hurling match FFS.

But you can't compare a Gah rivalry based on the stroke of a British civil servants pen on a map with a football one, let alone the Glasgow Derby which encompasses politics, religion and culture. Tribalism, which football is, does not equate with bigotry. The Gah produces plenty of messy games at club level, where the difference between you and them matters, which it fundamentally doesn't in the county system, as its a British invention and has no actual basis in the real world.
    Ive seen plenty of gaa rivalry.Trust me.They're no angels.

Ive seen plenty of gaa rivalry.Trust me.They're no angels.

I'm not saying they are. But the idea that someone from Westmeath will have the same intensity of sporting rivalry with someone from Lietrom (considering neither existed until the British created them in the 1830's) solely on the basis of where you are from, as any football derby where your religion, politics, ethnicity etc is on the line is ludicrious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

RIP. The Rangers will be back after today. No doubt.

I'm not saying they are. But the idea that someone from Westmeath will have the same intensity of sporting rivalry with someone from Lietrom (considering neither existed until the British created them in the 1830's) solely on the basis of where you are from, as any football derby where your religion, politics, ethnicity etc is on the line is ludicrious.
    I agree

KeithAFC wrote: »
    RIP. The Rangers will be back after today. No doubt.
    Hopefully they wont:D.But Im sure they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

We're all supporters: a fair few of us know the brotherhood of being crushed into a ground. RIP to any supporter that dies following the team they love.

• Advertisement
Advertisement