Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very cold, Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

There will be no more significant nationwide snowfalls this winter on lower levels. The odd heavy wet snow shower that might stick and feck off quite quickly. That's about it. Not negativity. Just reality.

Did you sleep through December? Because I believe thats classed as a winter month too. If you meant January/Febuary then thats a brave statement to make on the 3rd of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

click on nedbor

HIRLAM showing a band of precip moving se across ireland tomorrow.

Looks like rain if the tempertaure model is anything to go by :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

steveLFC24 wrote: »
    Did you sleep through December? Because I believe thats classed as a winter month too. If you meant January/Febuary then thats a brave statement to make on the 3rd of January.

He's right for awhile you know, rain this week, till thursday, when there ould be wet snow to rain to wet snow again. Uppers of -4 of higher, do not bring good snow off the atlantic. Simple as.

Nothing atm shows anyhting near December atm, but it is all open to big upgrades as disruptive snow can pop up outside of +96....

Hoping for an upgrade.!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

We had a (wee) shower of snow at 1pm, North Cork, temp before the shower was 2C then after the shower went up to 3.5C.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Someone would want to tell Met Eireann. They talk of snow turning to rain.

ATM, it will turn to Rain, so no, Met Eireann are right on this one.

All still could change. We dont want this low moving up so far from our SW, it has snow but drags in milder uppers for a time.

However, it would possibly turn back to snow, but the ground would be soaked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

For people who like mild weather, there has been a downgrade.

Snow looks nailed on for higher ground again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A few snow flurries reported in Dungloe.

Min wrote: »
    For people who like mild weather, there has been a downgrade.

Snow looks nailed on for higher ground again.

For people who like cold, its been a downgrade....Honestly are you looking at the models, from the 6z, its a total washout for the south from this LP, in fact for most of us for several days, temps of 9 degrees into the south by Thursday. Maybe snow on its Northern edge before heavy rain's start.

The only good is the cold spreads back from the NorthWest with some snow, but to far out to be anything, in the short term, its going to rain, with some wet snow for a short time at the end of this week.
    We really need a big upgrade, or else this spell will be a damp squib, and setting up perfectly for an Atlantic onslaught, which looks likely now, regaurdless of of being in FI, it just doesn't look like being stopped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snowing lightly here in North Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm only a couple of miles from Dungloe but we've had nothing here, I cant see the top of Errigal below the clouds but theres nothing on the mountains either aside from a few small patches surviving from last week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The birds have being going insane today at the feeders, there is something big on the way I feel, different species co-existing and the appearance of an owl did not put them off. We are in for another artic blast soon I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

Stinicker wrote: »
    The birds have being going insane today at the feeders, there is something big on the way I feel, different species co-existing and the appearance of an owl did not put them off. We are in for another artic blast soon I fear.
    or perhaps they are just hungry?

Major signs that Zonality is on its way, the building blocks are all there by +140, with South West winds by +170....

Hope we get some snow out of this before the Atlantic wins through, which is 70% likely now, even more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Harps wrote: »
    I'm only a couple of miles from Dungloe but we've had nothing here, I cant see the top of Errigal below the clouds but theres nothing on the mountains either aside from a few small patches surviving from last week.

Actually scratch that, turns out it was snowing at around 10.30am here! I'm right at sea level (beach front in fact) so definitely promising for the rest of the week

Harps wrote: »
    Actually scratch that, turns out it was snowing at around 10.30am here! I'm right at sea level (beach front in fact) so definitely promising for the rest of the week

We were under a cold airmass this morning, warmer air is on the way for the North by tonight. The cool air returns, before milder air returns once more.

Not very promising man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

loves the way when the word snow is mentioned by anybody, and no matter how little might fall, people go as insane as the birds at stinickers feeder. :D

Issued at 03 January 2011 - 13:22
    Weather Warning

A band of rain or sleet will affect northern and northwestern parts of the country later this evening and overnight. It will fall as snow in places with between 2 and 5 cm of snow likely. This mainly on high ground, but some snow is possible at lower levels inland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

John.Icy wrote: »
    We were under a cold airmass this morning, warmer air is on the way for the North by tonight. The cool air returns, before milder air returns once more.

Not very promising man.

are u goin by the models or jus sayin wat u think yourself ? cause even the experts are sayin there will be a cold period , so where u gettin your info ??:rolleyes:

NIALL D wrote: »
    are u goin by the models or jus sayin wat u think yourself ? cause even the experts are sayin there will be a cold period , so where u gettin your info ??:rolleyes:

The models,

Its going to warm up tonight, cool down again tomorrow, then as this front moves up from the south, it brings up milder air, then it gets cold again briefly, then BIG signs the Atlantic is going to obliterate the cold and it will be very mild for a good few days, then possibl, and I say possibly, could get very cold, after Mid-month, with Easterlies possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

The models,

Its going to warm up tonight, cool down again tomorrow, then as this front moves up from the south, it brings up milder air, then it gets cold again briefly, then BIG signs the Atlantic is going to obliterate the cold and it will be very mild for a good few days, then possibl, and I say possibly, could get very cold, after Mid-month, with Easterlies possible.

ok ;)

• Advertisement

MET UK

Northern Ireland:
    Co Antrim
    Co Armagh
    Co Derry
    Co Down
    Co Fermanagh
    Co Tyrone
    Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow 1700 Mon 3 0400 Tue 4

A band of rain, sleet and snow will move southeast across all parts this evening, clearing during the early hours. Snow falls of up to 5cm are possible locally with ice forming widely on untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1438 Mon 3 Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

OK get used to this peeps - H2U got a weather station for Crimbo !

Temp = 0.7C humidity = 74% Dewpoint = -3 (according to Iphone App that converts temps and humidity into DP's)

Weather station forecasting snow and Ice...!

I'm just saying...;)

OK get used to this peeps - H2U got a weather station for Crimbo !

Temp = 0.7C humidity = 74% Dewpoint = -3 (according to Iphone App that converts temps and humidity into DP's)

Weather station forecasting snow and Ice...!

I'm just saying...;)

Congrats on your new toy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Friday and Saturday will have to watched carefully. Small chance of significant snowfall at least for a time across the country. Bit too far out for specifics but both days look interesting with mild air and wet weather encroaching from the South coming up against cold air over the country.

It all depends, the band that will move down across the country has an assciated mild sector, If any precip manages to fall before the mild sector arrives in that area, wintry precip is possible.

The further South, the less chance of this happening.

Fingers crossed though, maybe the models are overdoing the mild sector.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

darkman2 wrote: »
    Friday and Saturday will have to watched carefully. Small chance of significant snowfall at least for a time across the country. Bit too far out for specifics but both days look interesting with mild air and wet weather encroaching from the South coming up against cold air over the country.

Indeed, it would be much better if the system from the South would undercut, and move East instead of North-East, which would allow colder air hanging on instead of the milder air move up across the country, meaning much more snow, but atm, its snow to a washout before cold air returns with snow possible after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Indeed, it would be much better if the system from the South would undercut, and move East instead of North-East, which would allow colder air hanging on instead of the milder air move up across the country, meaning much more snow, but atm, its snow to a washout before cold air returns with snow possible after this.

well hopefully the colder air manages to move back in quicker - or better still as you say the milder air doesn't get much of a look in as the models are suggesting. it's amazing how a shift 100 miles east could make such a big difference. ah one of these days it will go our way from an atlantic incursion!

mike65 wrote: »
    Mike...how many of your 61k posts are on the weather forum-at least 5000 or 10,000 of them? And you still post up links to the bbc computer generated,zero human forecaster input rubbish links like that one as if they have validity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well it more in hope than expectation I admit, "think it and it will come true!" and its not 5000+ can't be 5000+ :(

Advertisement