Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very cold, Snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Folks,

I think it would be fair to say that Ireland's weather over the coming week can be summed up in one word - "uncertain"

The models appear to be all over the place, though generally cold for the coming weekend.

Even the likes of CNN weather (which I understand totally is based on computer models and cannot be trusted) is noting a cold trend for the coming ten days in Dublin .

It would appear that even the CNN computers do not know which way to view the upcoming weather in Ireland, although in the end they are opting for colder than average.

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?celcius=true&locCode=EIDW&zipCode=336562986788

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It looks like a milder air push up then a colder air push down as a low moves north-east but after that a more substaintial depression will feed south-westerlies over us, sandwiched by a large area of high pressure moving east.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evelyn mentioned up to 10cm of snow in the northern end of the country, including north Connaught... (she showed a very interesting chart )

It is certainly cold enough here in Dromahair... BRRRRRRRrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

eskimocat wrote: »
    Evelyn mentioned up to 10cm of snow in the northern end of the country, including north Connaught... (she showed a very interesting chart )

It is certainly cold enough here in Dromahair... BRRRRRRRrrrrr

Not a chance. That front pushing in so warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sorry Evelyn not on your Nelly.

Its already 1.4c in Sligo after being 0.0c (0c:)) at 5pm

4c in Finner which is feeding our weather here and 5c in Malin with drizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I'm looking fwd to Evelyn's prediction of a wintry week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

snaps wrote: »
    Not a chance. That front pushing in so warm.
    She might be right just talking to the mother in law in Amtrim town and it is snowing heavy at the minute about 2cm so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    She might be right just talking to the mother in law in Amtrim town and it is snowing heavy at the minute about 2cm so far :D

Since the front is moving more East than south atm, the warm front will be travelling from Donegal east to Antrim, should turn to rain there soon.

HOWEVER, if the warm front is weaker than anticipated, god knows, some places could see a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm looking fwd to Evelyn's prediction of a wintry week. :rolleyes:

She's pretty much said what is being said on here. It's a flip of a coin from Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

No special snow thread for tonight then for the North of Ireland???
    If it was Leinster there would be one created by now :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Pangea wrote: »

Start one up then ,

Doubting there will be anything down my neck of the woods anyway , temps slowly on the rise here 0.6 now although still have a -1.9 dp !

Looking forward to the next few weeks , should be v interesting .

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Start one up then ,

Doubting there will be anything down my neck of the woods anyway , temps slowly on the rise here 0.6 now although still have a -1.9 dp !

Looking forward to the next few weeks , should be v interesting .

If a regional thread is started, it'll only be closed/merged again. Nout wrong with this one - Very cold, Snow - says it all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

If you get snow...remember there is a thaw thread you can use tomorrow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

If a regional thread is started, it'll only be closed/merged again. Nout wrong with this one - Very cold, Snow - says it all !
    No thats totally different, thats when the whole country is getting snow ,when there is just one region getting snow then a regional snow thread is created because only one region is getting snow obviously. lol
    Event threads are usually created when there are snow events , like I said if there was snow just in Leinster tonight, there would be a seperate thread created to this one ;)
    Start one up then ,
    Nah all Im getting is rain :)
    Min wrote: »
    If you get snow...remember there is a thaw thread you can use tomorrow tongue.gif
    lol thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

i would just like to say, its SNOWING. Sorry but it is.
    vary light and will prob not amount to much.

But then again a year 2mro we awoke to 4 in on the ground after a snow shower popped over us.

whats the chancers of that happining in a row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its feeling a bit milder than 3/4 hours ago down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Frost forming on the car at 6:30 this evening, and temp was registering -1C. Popped out to the bin there a few mins ago and the frosts are all gone. Dunno the temp atm though.
    Goatstown D14.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 snowlover

Its 1.0 degree in Meath, but feels a lot colder! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

No thats totally different, thats when the whole country is getting snow ,when there is just one region getting snow then a regional snow thread is created because only one region is getting snow obviously. lol
    Event threads are usually created when there are snow events , like I said if there was snow just in Leinster tonight, there would be a seperate thread created to this one ;)

Gotcha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement

Snow cam.

highest cam on the island,

http://www.gov.im/tourism/webcam/webcam.aspx?webcam=7

looking at the rader, looks like we could get a big hit,
    just depends how low down it will come,
    as its raining where i am,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Significantly colder 18Z run tonight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

What does this mean?

it means very little on it's own.
    Forecasts are better made from a blend of several numerical weather programmes.
    To newbies,if you want a reasonable balanced translation of the models into as best a forecast as possible,you won't go too far wrong by reading mt craniums forecast sticky thread.
    A lot of time and consideration goes into it and it's free.

Currently the weather set up is very difficult to forecast as models aren't apparently as well geared to resolve,for want of a better way of putting it,the physics of where everything is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

more snow please

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Significantly colder 18Z run tonight:)
    Which model? I don't see much of an upgrade if you can call it that for cold up to t+96 anyway.

Besides, it's not called the pub run for nothing;)

well we have lots of yes lots of Rain,

lashing down, but no snow,
    Think its just higher ground getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Which model? I don't see much of an upgrade if you can call it that for cold up to t+96 anyway.

Besides, it's not called the pub run for nothing;)

Ditto, No big changes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

looks like were not goina get much snow from this cold spell....

looks as hopeless as the last 2.. we got an inch of snow in first cold spell here in the south,that was it... im not really expecting anything because last time we were forcasted snow for many days and there wasnt a flake to be seen..

maybe next year......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

NIALL D wrote: »
    looks like were not goina get much snow from this cold spell....

looks as hopeless as the last 2.. we got an inch of snow in first cold spell here in the south,that was it... im not really expecting anything because last time we were forcasted snow for many days and there wasnt a flake to be seen..

maybe next year......

Some snow is better than none of you are a lover. May I remind you we are only into the first week of January yet!!

Advertisement