Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very cold, Snow

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just heard the news on Ocean fm, crikey main headline was snow for northwest tonight and up to 10cms in places, met eireann has no word of that lol.
    In the end they said it would be for higher ground ,but still it was very alarmist way of putting it out there. Probably have auld biddys racing to the siopa now for the stock up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Will the irish sea deliver again for Dublinia?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Will the irish sea deliver again for Dublinia?

tis your foe, not friend, this time....

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Pangea wrote: »
    Just heard the news on Ocean fm, crikey main headline was snow for northwest tonight and up to 10cms in places, met eireann has no word of that lol.
    In the end they said it would be for higher ground ,but still it was very alarmist way of putting it out there. Probably have auld biddys racing to the siopa now for the stock up :D

Do they not just use MET Eireann's forecasts for their information? perhaps they are using out of date info...

Vudgie wrote: »
    Do they not just use MET Eireann's forecasts for their information? perhaps they are using out of date info...
    Yes , well they mentioned met eireann, and also on the site they mentioned IWO, so probably a mix of every weather forecast :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Have to have a wee listen at 6 to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

For 5 or so runs the GFS has shown a very cold easterly developing way out in FI at around the 20th. It is strange to see such consistency so far out. It must be responding to stratospheric warming.

I have noticed that met eireann are starting to reserve their judgement in recent forecasts , It seems to be more of like MTs approach.

I quote from Met eireann "This system has the potential to be disruptive and it is being closely monitored. "
    Its good that the are not being so definitive in their forecasts like they have been so many times in the past and often been wrong,with any weather there is a lot of probablity or hit and miss. What im saying maybe they are taking a leave out of MTs book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    For 5 or so runs the GFS has shown a very cold easterly developing way out in FI at around the 20th. It is strange to see such consistency so far out. It must be responding to stratospheric warming.

Noticed this also, Hopefully the AO updates can keep in the negative, and this easterly may come to fruitation.

Winter ain't over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So you maybe able to start bragging again about your snow depth in 14 days times:P

it will be hats off to a couple of lads over on netweather if it does come off as they were ridiculed by others for suggesting easterlies after mid month because there was no model support a few days ago for it. as we saw with the very first cold spell back in late November the ukmo beforehand was out on its own pretty much going for cold along wth our own M.T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

So you maybe able to start bragging again about your snow depth in 14 days times:P

it will be hats off to a couple of lads over on netweather if it does come off as they were ridiculed by others for suggesting easterlies after mid month because there was no model support a few days ago for it. as we saw with the very first cold spell back in late November the ukmo beforehand was out on its own pretty much going for cold along wth our own M.T.

GFS picked up on the cold spells in the far FI, along with the Met office.

It is good signs, since the end of the last cold spell, easterlies from mi-month have been discussed.

irish1967 wrote: »
    Have to have a wee listen at 6 to see what they say.
    Wow a radical overhaul , it didnt even make the news this time, It was the main headline an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    Wow a radical overhaul , it didnt even make the news this time, It was the main headline an hour ago.

I think the 5 news is actual their own and the 6 news is syndicated national news. They are always totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Well another Eastrly may bring something like the 18 INCHES we got in early December.:D LOL

Seriously though, im certainly not getting exited yet but its definitely one to raise the eyebrows and to take note of.:cool:

Because the................... 18 inches.............................. we got in early december was great, :p

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

M.T was on News Talk this morning and he was saying that it should turn mild around the middle of next week with temperatures reaching around 12c with the mild spell lasting for 5 or 6 days and then the cold makes a return. He also said according to his models February is shaping up to be a very cold month. How cold we will just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Lol but here are the lunchtime temps as of this posting time
    The northwest up to well inland had rain yesterday and today temps are between 4 and 10c! with not a hope of snow.

That would be a far cry from 0 to 3c

My view is theres not enough polar in the maratime at this stage.

I could find plenty of examples of my own posts that have ended up being wrong,but then I think it's always wise not to discount the atlantic oceans warming capabilities unless it's getting a decent shot of artic air and it isn't yet.

My point is,if we can't get detail today right ,what confidence have we in tomorrow and the next day at the moment?

Thats how difficult the forecasters life is and dissing them is simply shooting fish in a barrell-not fair.
    Also models in my opinion are flakey lately on the finer details.
    I was joking of course but, yes, I totally agree BB, no one can get it right all the time, especially when we're talking about the finer details of the weather on this lovely island of ours.
    I think all the forecasters here on boards do a great job btw, and I enjoy reading the analysis day to day, so cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Don't think much of this Friday event although surprise snow would be nice!
    Cool and dry for the weekend with a few wintry showers but for most, some sunshine. Frost will also occur.

From Monday onwards the Atlantic will gain control over the country, first time since early november! The temps will be quite mild and there will be heavy rain at times as well especially in the south west, now this is also not 100% certain either as to when exactly the mild air will move in.
    Now how long this pattern lasts is up for debate, a new trend is appearing in FI on the last few GFS runs, and that is for pressure to rise over Greenland at about +300 hrs. This is starting to look more likely than a scandi high, but still is a long way out and subject to alot of change...

The p.vortex does not look like setting up shop anywhere in particular and will probably remain split, Helping to get us out of this mild pattern quicker.

SLP 06z GFS for reyjavic -

prmslReyjavic.png

Shows a steep pressure rise, indicating a GH.

SLP 06z GFS for Oslo -

prmslOslo.png

This also shows a pressure rise before a drop off at the end, the mean still hits 1020hpa.

GEFS mean for +324 hrs -

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=112082

Shows a strong GH. :)

AO still forecast to go into deep negative territory-

ao.sprd2.gif

Anyone have a link to SLP ensembles for Nuuk?

Now I am looking hard for a cold spell, take these charts with a pinch of salt as they are in deep FI.

In the longer term, I think February will either be very mild or extremely cold...

Dan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

From Monday onwards the Atlantic will gain control over the country, first time since early november!

Great post dan, but wasnt the atlantic in control from stephens day for a few days???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Great post dan, but wasnt the atlantic in control from stephens day for a few days???

Thanks, yes maybe I worded that badly, I meant as in proper mild zonality, the atlantic was only in for about 48 hours after st.Stephens day.

Dan

Advertisement