Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make compost?

Options
  • 02-01-2011 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Im tired of having to buy compost so how do you go about making compost?

Ive never done this before so if someone could impart advice or online guides id be much thankful.

Does the compost bin have to be made of a certain material? can it be made of metal or does it have to be plastic?

I forget to say that i also have comfrey (an 'activator'? ) and nettle leaves (high in Nitrogen?) in the garden-can these be safely be added to the pile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Previous threads might help you out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055986266

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056084503

If you have a good supply of nettle leaves, making nettle tea is a great use of them for consumption and helping with certain medical conditions ie UTI's.

Nettles also make a great liquid fertiliser as they are very high in nitrogen. I use this successfully on my tomatoes
    - place in container with a weight on top ie brick
    - cover with water, just enough to cover the nettles
    - leave for 4 weeks in container NB it gets smelly
    - after 4 weeks, there is a dark green liquid
    - dilute at approx 1 part liquid to 10 parts water until you have a tea like colour
    - use on or around plants
    - whats left in bucket can be added to your compost pile / container

Comfrey has lots of uses and is high in potassium
    - liquid fertiliser as above
    - alternative liquid fertiliser method is to place in container with no liquid. Place a hole in the bottom and gather the thick run off in a seperate container. Dilute at approx 1 part liquid to 15 parts water
    - add in small amounts to compost heap
    - use leaves only as a mulch around plants. This will break down over time and add nutrients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Can you add the following to a compost heap-cardboard boxes from amazon, a4 paper with printed black and white ink on it and empty cardboard toilet roll holders?

All pre shredded in tiny pieces of course....

would these not add 'brown' material to the heap?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't add anything which came through a laser printer; and it's worth pointing out that you're not going to have much success making compost this time of year, it's too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Stick with newspaper. Get a cheap paper shredder (10 euros in Argos for example). Have few bags shredded on hand and mix it in with your grass clippings each time you mow in spring/summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

redser7 wrote: »
    Stick with newspaper. Get a cheap paper shredder (10 euros in Argos for example). Have few bags shredded on hand and mix it in with your grass clippings each time you mow in spring/summer.

So black ink on newspaper is ok but not ink on printed a4 paper? how annoying as i read all my papers online!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

newspaper ink is generally vegetable dye based, afaik. toner is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Plenty of free local newspapers come through the door or pick them up around the shops. They breakdown very fast when shredded and you dont have to worry about 'is this ok, or this, what about this'. Keep it simple, layer it, turn it and you'll get black gold

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

dfbemt wrote: »
    Nettles also make a great liquid fertiliser as they are very high in nitrogen. I use this successfully on my tomatoes
    - place in container with a weight on top ie brick
    - cover with water, just enough to cover the nettles
    - leave for 4 weeks in container NB it gets smelly
    - after 4 weeks, there is a dark green liquid
    - dilute at approx 1 part liquid to 10 parts water until you have a tea like colour
    - use on or around plants
    - whats left in bucket can be added to your compost pile / container

Never used them as a liquid fertiliser but preparing nettles as said above is great for getting rid of aphids

Be warned though, when dfbemt says it gets smelly - it gets REALLY smelly ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I got rid of last years sunflowers(minus the seeds) in this way.

Broke the stems up into sections and smashed them with a hammer,added the ripped up leaves and left the whole lot to steep in a covered water-barrel for the winter..nice stinking black liquid by spring-time,an ideal addition to the soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Would wood shavings be any good for compost as brown material? and would adding rabbit dung and worms to it help?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Would wood shavings be any good for compost as brown material? and would adding rabbit dung and worms to it help?

Wood shavings take a very long time to decay so probably not agreat addition to compost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

All excellent materials. Rabbit droppings can be added directly to soil, same as chicken pellets but work well in getting the heap heated if you prefer to add it to your pile.
    Degsy wrote: »
    Wood shavings take a very long time to decay so probably not agreat addition to compost.

Wood shavings are okay but need to be well rotted down before addition to the soil as, during decomposition, they take out nitrogen !! Best way with wood shavings it to put them in a small container and get them to start rotting down by adding in some grass cuttings. Once this has started, then add them to your pile and turn in.

Advertisement