Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Registration

• 02-01-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a baby girl 19 months old. I think it's time to register her for the primary school. We're not catholic so she is not baptized.
    For catholic school, is it necessary or not the baptism certificate in order to enrol her?

Thanks for your time.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you mean national school or a brothers/nuns school?

Ask for a copy of the enrollment policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My local catholic school asked for it and I just said I didn't have one. The secretary didn't say anything else but accepted the application.

They didn't ask for her religion, but my neighbours are Junda ?(Indian family) and they attend it so it must be OK. There are no details on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭spupazza

I meant national school.
    Thanks wmpdd3 for your comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Depends on where you are and the school you want to send her to. Most national schools dont even accept registrations this early, AFAIK, but if you want to send her to an Educate Together, or smaller national school with say a church of Ireland or other ethos then you should give them a call.
    For example, I registered my son when he was 3 mths old for our local ET school and he was already pretty far down the list even then for this year, but we got confirmation last yr that he has a place and so does my dd who i registered when she was 3 mths old. (cannot believe it is this year!!)
    There is a national school near us that is over subscribed every year and has long term registration lists, our local national school only accepts registration in january of the school yr you want to send the child.
    You should call any school you are interested in to see if they take early registrations and what their enrollment policy is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭spupazza

Thanks lynski,
    I live in Swords close to the Topaz petrol station in Dublin Road.
    I'll look for the school close to me and call them.
    Thank you very much for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

religion maybe a criteria but is normally not their 1st one.
    You will probably be best registering them in a few schools if you have not got your heart set on one in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

In some cases you may be way too late at this stage to enrol in the primary school. I would investigate the schools in your area and check with them what their criteria are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I enrolled all mine before they turned 3months.

There is a 6 year age gap between 1 and 2 and 2 & 3 ended up going to a different school, I enrolled them in the country school when they were 3.5 and 2.

Enrollment policy has now changed in the town schools and you have to get an enrollment form from the school and that has to be given to the council and they will ok it or deny it. They might even recommend a different school and insist the child go to that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

we didn't want to go along the baptised/catholic route so we did, as someone mentioned already, go with the nearest educated together school.

i enrolled her pretty much the day she was born, which was about six months ago. when i phoned last week to check with the school i was told, upon enquiring, that the list for the year she's in for is nearly full. i never realised there'd be such a demand for spaces so soon!!

We moved house so my baby was 9 months old before I put her name down. She is on a waiting list but I am not too worried because people move,put their kids names down in loads of schools etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement