Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chances of survival - loose parrot

• 02-01-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

A parrot crash-landed into our sitting room window yesterday afternoon. He sat there for a minute or two. We panicked a bit and sister went out with a big towel to see if she could get him into the house (we've an old birdcage stashed somewhere) But he flew off as soon as she approached him, looking relatively unhurt.

Judging by the cold weather, and the fact that he is flying around a housing estate, is there anyway he can survive? And could have found his way home?

I can't stop thinking about him. I feel so badly for the owner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh thats awful OP. I really can't help but if you're not getting replies here you might try the nature and birdwatching forum. Fair few bird experts over there. :) Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

not used to this neck of the woods on boards, so I will try there, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Sadly if he isn't found by people he would have little chance of surviving on his own, if the cold didn't kill him our native wild birds would.
    Hopefully he finds someone to take him in, I once had a budgie land on my shoulder while out shopping in the city centre so you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'd second lrushe's comments.

Parrots usually get mobbed to death by magpies and crows.

Hopefully someone will find him and take him in.

What type of parrot was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Try ringing local vets, I know in Bray there is a vet who is meant to be very good with exotics.

http://www.parrots.ie/forum/index.php?sid=5a4e31255a0e9fb5b4a348c5babd4fad

Try the above, there may be a parrot society as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

doctor_evil, wish I'd thought of that at the time, he could be anywhere by now :(

Advertisement