Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beckham

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Good addition or distraction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Deisler wrote: »
    Good addition or distraction?

can't see it doing any harm so worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

He would be a better option than Bentley for sure. At least he is showing that he wants to play football. Iam sure the lads would benefit from having him around. If he gets all the attention then the others can just get on with playing football and winning games.
    I would like to see him curl one in to the top corner against United in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Do I want him?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

If it were some other former star like Ronaldo (the real Ronaldo) I'd say ya it can't do any harm but Beckham is a different ball game completely. I'd say it'll only take the attention off us and on him.

I only pray City come in and take him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

I'd rather Townsend ahead of Bentley, but I'd rather we didn't sign Beckham tbh. We have plenty of options for the right side as it is.

It would appear Harry has been talked out of taking Beckham on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I'd rather Townsend ahead of Bentley, but I'd rather we didn't sign Beckham tbh. We have plenty of options for the right side as it is.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. I love to see townsend given a chance to shine. Hes always impressed me when ive seen him.

Can we have tarabbt back aswell, he's the sole reason QPR are top

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

NO NO NO. It would make a circus out of the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think he would be great for spurs, things going wrong chuck him and crouch on for the last 20. He can play in the centre too.

oppiuy wrote: »
    Can we have tarabbt back aswell, he's the sole reason QPR are top

We sold him though mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hatch99 wrote: »
    We sold him though mate.

Sold him for sweet F A too, 600k rising to 1M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Sold him for sweet F A too, 600k rising to 1M.

isnt this what we do thou

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

SSN breaking news.... Beckham to sign on Sunday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

From BBC website

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp hopes that former England captain David Beckham will have joined Spurs on a short-term loan deal by Sunday. The White Hart Lane club have been speaking to LA Galaxy midfielder Beckham, whose American club are understood to be open to his move.
    "The clubs are talking and there's a good chance it will happen," he said.
    "It's just sorting out the length of the loan and one or two other bits and pieces. It will probably get done."
    Redknapp - who learnt of Beckham's interest via his son Jamie and claimed last week he wanted to join the Londoners because he likes their style of play - hopes the 35-year-old will come to watch the club's FA Cup third round match against Charlton on Sunday.
    "I think he could be here on Sunday possibly if what I'm being told on the grapevine is right," he said.
    "Hopefully he will come to the game. I'm not 100% sure but he could be here on Sunday."
    If Beckham's arrival is secured soon, he could go straight into the squad to face former club Manchester United next Sunday.

Dave11 wrote: »
    SSN breaking news.... Beckham to sign on Sunday!!!

Harry was on talksport earlier and said it's 90% done and that Becks may be at the game on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The longer it goes on the worse deal it is cos by the time he gets over and settles it'll be time for him to leave

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

amiable wrote: »
    The longer it goes on the worse deal it is cos by the time he gets over and settles it'll be time for him to leave

He is on his way to Spurs lodge for a medical as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

presume he's ok to play a part in both legs v Ac Milan ? that the case

Screw it, Might aswell get behind him now. Go In Becks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I just hope Beckham coming to us is not going to unsettle the current side.

Maybe if it was a permanent deal or at least until the season end then I could see more merit in signing him but it's only 2 months loan. By the time he's up to speed with Premiership football, he'll be getting back on the plane to L.A.

Harry did something similar last January when he signed Gudjohnsen and overall that worked out good for us, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

^ very important two months though it must be said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He'd be handy too for some additional info on the Milan players/team.

He's a model to come on with 20 to go against Man Utd and make the winner :D

In fairness what we do need right now is a few extra bodies. We have the new young African lad. Having Beckham available will be good for us and i would have no worries about him playing. I am sure he is as fit as most of the lads, probably even fitter considering all the games in the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

It has been so long since we have beaten man ure in the league, how ironic it would be for us to win this game with Beckham getting the winner against his old club.
    Remember also that Becks did say after he left man ure was that the only english side he would ever play for again was Utd, yet here he is.

Lads I think it is a great signing for yas.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭larry1

marty2002 wrote: »
    It has been so long since we have beaten man ure in the league, how ironic it would be for us to win this game with Beckham getting the winner against his old club.
    Remember also that Becks did say after he left man ure was that the only english side he would ever play for again was Utd, yet here he is.

On the subject of irony,do you reckon the Man U fans will be singing Posh's song at the lane? How did it go again " Posh Spice she takes it up... " :D

Personally as a Utd fan I look forward to seeing him play for spurs, I would have taken him at utd too.

larry1 wrote: »
    On the subject of irony,do you reckon the Man U fans will be singing Posh's song at the lane? How did it go again " Posh Spice she takes it up... " :D

And not to forget

Posh Spice she's a slapper,
    She wears a wonderbra
    and when she's s******* Beckham
    she thinks of Ginola :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

What ever your views on Beckham coming , be it good or bad , i reckon the exposure Spurs will get will be immense .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Personally as a Utd fan I look forward to seeing him play for spurs, I would have taken him at utd too.

Really? Where would you play him, out of curiosity? I can see the logic of it in games like against Everton. Crouch on, give the ball to Beckham on the wing and try to hit Crouch's head, the same thing that happens in the England games. It adds something to the team that we don't have from that flank because of Lennon's poor crossing.

Advertisement