Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Mary Fahy

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

it would appear that the judge Judy of Galway gets a mention in Feckers for refusing to uphold the law regarding serving alcohol on Good Friday.

Book Feckers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Good Friday ban on pubs opening is ridiculous anyway tbh.

If people don't want to drink on Good Friday that's fine, they don't have to.

People who have little or no interest in religion shouldn't have to follow the same rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭PauricTheLodger

More power to her elbow as I believe the phrase goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The Good Friday ban on pubs opening is ridiculous anyway tbh.

If people don't want to drink on Good Friday that's fine, they don't have to.

People who have little or no interest in religion shouldn't have to follow the same rules.

the good friday ban is obscene. imagine having to go a day without alcohol!

that may be so, but the woman has a job to do and her personal opinion is of no relevance.
    she undermined the guards, who unlike her were doing their job.

its like you going into a chipper and the guy there telling you he won't serve you because he thinks chips are unhealthy.

More power to her elbow as I believe the phrase goes...

?????/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it would appear that the judge Judy of Galway gets a mention in Feckers for refusing to uphold the law regarding serving alcohol on Good Friday.

This is news how?

Is it 2008 again?

• Advertisement

?????/

More power to your elbow!
    also More power to you! something that you say to praise someone and to say that you hope they continue to have success

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/More+power+to+your+elbow!

More power to your elbow!
    also More power to you! something that you say to praise someone and to say that you hope they continue to have success

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/More+power+to+your+elbow!

by the hokey, its a new one for me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

its like you going into a chipper and the guy there telling you he won't serve you because he thinks chips are unhealthy.

? gonna have to explain that one, I don't quite get the analogy

This is news how?

Is it 2008 again?

i was just announcing the fact that she made it into the top fifty people who fecked up this country, the list having just being published by John Waters esquire in his latest offering Feckers

the good friday ban is obscene. imagine having to go a day without alcohol!

It's nothing to do with that.

It's the Catholic Church making rules for the whole population. They shouldn't have any power. Those days are long gone.

• Advertisement

It's the Catholic Church making rules for the whole population. They shouldn't have any power. Those days are long gone.

we live in a catholic country(at least in name) so it comes as no surprise that there is trace of catholic influence. in muslim countries alcohol is forbidden 365 and if you are not a muslim tough titty.

it would appear to be a challenge to go out in pubcentric Galway and not drink booze. javas is one of the few cafes open after 6 and that barely holds twenty people.

i was just announcing the fact that she made it into the top fifty people who fecked up this country, the list having just being published by John Waters esquire in his latest offering Feckers

According to the only Amazon review for the book he also blames bloggers for some reason... would love to know the justification for that too...

Cheers rarnes1 for providing the elbow link

Mactard wrote: »
    ? gonna have to explain that one, I don't quite get the analogy

in the chippers the guys job is to serve you chips and not his opinion. her job is to serve justice, according to the laws of the land. her saying that the law is foolish is of no relevance. she has a job to do and in this regard failed to do it.

we live in a catholic country(at least in name) so it comes as no surprise that there is trace of catholic influence. in muslim countries alcohol is forbidden 365 and if you are not a muslim tough titty.

it would appear to be a challenge to go out in pubcentric Galway and not drink booze. javas is one of the few cafes open after 6 and that barely holds twenty people.

I don't think you are getting my point. If Catholics don't want to drink alcohol they can abstain from it if they want. Why should everyone else have to conform to this?

Also you can go to a pub and not drink booze if you wish? :confused:

in the chippers the guys job is to serve you chips and not his opinion. her job is to serve justice, according to the laws of the land. her saying that the law is foolish is of no relevance. she has a job to do and in this regard failed to do it.

So I used 'the google' anyway and came up with this link:
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/city-restaurant-convicted-for-selling-liquor-on-good-friday/

It seems she did in fact follow the law and convicted the nine restaurants. She simply gave her opinion on how the ban was ludicrous.

What exactly does the author say about Judge Fahy in the book?

Aside http://www.independent.ie/national-news/exemptions-from-good-friday-alcoholsale-ban-2092393.html seems hotels can provide alcohol among others provided there is a meal, which is usually the reason one goes to a restaurant too.

The catholic church has nothing to do with the ban on pubs opening Christmas day and good Friday. It's a union agreement from many many years ago.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I quite like Judge Fahy.

Not to keen on John Waters (the Irish one, I love the other one) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The catholic church has nothing to do with the ban on pubs opening Christmas day and good Friday. It's a union agreement from many many years ago.
    Have you proof of that. I have never come across any licensed premises that had union members, if there were any they would likely be a tiny minority.

They had major influence.It's not too gard to see that.

It's in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1927. The same act forbade the sale of alcohol on Sunday's between 2pm and 5pm and also on St Patricks day.

The latter two no longer apply of course.

They had major influence.It's not too gard to see that.

It's in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1927. The same act forbade the sale of alcohol on Sunday's between 2pm and 5pm and also on St Patricks day.

The latter two no longer apply of course.

And Christmas Day as well wasn't it?

• Advertisement

Have you proof of that. I have never come across any licensed premises that had union members, if there were any they would likely be a tiny minority.

As mentioned above its set out in the 1927 intoxicating liquor act.

As mentioned above its set out in the 1927 intoxicating liquor act.

And now linked :)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1927/en/act/pub/0015/index.html

Part II (18) amused me... I have a bland sense of humour :p

And Christmas Day as well wasn't it?

yep, left out the most obvious one :o

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

From reading court stories in the Advertiser over the years, i have to say she is a vile, vicious, unreasonable creature.I hope i never have to go up in front of her for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd suspect it's a nice case of the unions, church and "concerned citizens" interests co-inciding.

fyi, see the Sales thread, where people are very loudly against shops opening on Stephen's Day. In the same vein as that, shouldn't hospitality staff have the right to joint days off?

(Those who have followed the other thread will know that I personally don't buy the argument. But I think it's fascinating that people are so opposed to shopping on Stephen's day "for the sake of the staff", but don't have a problem with pubs being open that day).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

John Waters! :rolleyes:

a tosser of the highest order!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

When you compare the country to muslim countries you're on the losing side of an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

drum! wrote: »
    From reading court stories in the Advertiser over the years, i have to say she is a vile, vicious, unreasonable creature.I hope i never have to go up in front of her for anything.

Indeed, she's more likely to give a heavy fine to a poor person stealing a loaf of bread than someone charged with assault or driving while intoxicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

On the sale of alcohol on Good Friday and Christmas Day, I'm a bit 'meh'. Who really cares? What would we do if we didn't have the guilty pleasure of tracking down a crafty drink on Good Friday?

But Mary Fahy is a legend. Firm but fair, I think the saying goes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Fair me howl! She's incredibly inconsistent, her punishments often don't fit the crime and she's an absolute battleaxe. I can't believe some of the horrible things she says to people when dishing out a sentence for meagre, non-violent crimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement