Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge Mary Fahy

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Fuinseog wrote: »
    she refused to convict, in other words refused to her job.
    whats a religious nut, a catholic who goes to church?

Perhaps I shouldnt have said nut - instead someone who pushes his religion on others.

How? By including in a book about people who ruined our country a judge who convicted (but didnt record) convictions for breaking a licensing law.

I will admit to not having read the book but we are in the middle of a crippling recession caused by greed and recklessness from hundreds if not thousands of people and he thinks that this story about Judge Fahy warrants a mention in his book?? That in my eyes is pushing a catholic agenda.

But look - I havent read the book and am willing to be proven wrong. I presume he has done, for example, Chapter 1 - Politicians, and hasnt given them a page each..cos there would certainly be at least 50 politicians alone to fill the book!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

biko wrote: »
    Art Smart banned. You may not like some decisions this judge have taken, it will not excuse your bad language and personal attacks.
    fair nuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... story about Judge Fahy warrants a mention in his book?? That in my eyes is pushing a catholic agenda.

Please tell me where in Catholic teaching there's a statement that selling alcohol on Good Friday is wrong?

Remember the law doesn't say that you can't drink the stuff, just that publicans cannot sell it.

Remember too that Ireland decided that Good Friday isn't a public holiday, and that for pretty much everyone who works for a multi-national, it's just another working day.

I am soooo tempted to take a line in this thread that the pubs should be closed on those days so that the hard working hospo staff can have at least two days with their families each year. (Just worried that someone miight point out that I took the opposite line in the Stephen's Day sales thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Judge Fahy, was there ever a time when she wasn't outspoken and getting her opinions all over newspapers.
    I used to look forward to the Galway Advertiser to see what she would come out with every week :rolleyes:

She is there to follow the law, not undermine the Gardai who are doing their job. Maybe Mill St will think twice next time they bring people to court over this? Hopefully not

If she thinks she can write a better law then go run for the Dáil.

hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

. As an aside she is quite entitled as a district court judge to have a conviction not recorded.[/QUOTE]

making the guards look like a bunch of knobs for carrying out their duty is bad form. the guards were 'techniclly correct' according to her worship. if the word of waters is to be believed she made them appear finicky.

i preferred Garvan and watched him perform on many an occasion. i will never forget when he said that there were no classy women in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

making the guards look like a bunch of knobs for carrying out their duty is bad form. the guards were 'techniclly correct' according to her worship. if the word of waters is to be believed she made them appear finicky.

i preferred Garvan and watched him perform on many an occasion. i will never forget when he said that there were no classy women in Galway.

I think this post really sums you up. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tuamforlife

. As an aside she is quite entitled as a district court judge to have a conviction not recorded.

i preferred Garvan and watched him perform on many an occasion. i will never forget when he said that there were no classy women in Galway.[/QUOTE]

id take it ur talkin bout judge john garvan ya? he was probli the best judge round. he retired before i was goin to court back in 2002 i was only 15 but from what i heard he'd give ya a few chances but so would mary fahy..
    i was up before her aload of times in tuam before and once in galway. she gave me chance after chance but in the end she did what she had to do and sent me away but if ye want to talk bout a judge talk bout judge geoffrey browne he is the biggest a**hole in ireland he's sendin ppl away for fun down tuam. i think he's doing it because he's old and his day will come soon.. hopefully!!
    its like he doesnt want to see anybody get their life back in order so he sends everyone to jail.. yer lucky in galway to have mary fahy but she will go some day and hopefully judge browne will pack up and go galway..
    id say da day that happens wil be da day i die ha.. if ye wana hear how bad he is look at da tuam herald on wednesday and ye see..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Troublemakers should get one and an absolute max of 2 tries to get their life turned around. After that they should have the book thrown at them, It says a lot when someones definition of fun ends up with them having to appear in court. You obviously have a very twisted opinion of what fun is.

I have had loads of fun in my life and have never even come to guards attention. Secondly if people get caught having "fun" all the time well then in my opinion they are obviously too thick or stupid to ever make much of themselves in life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 ted_dancin

drum! wrote: »
    From reading court stories in the Advertiser over the years, i have to say she is a vile, vicious, unreasonable creature.I hope i never have to go up in front of her for anything.

shes a very liberal and compassionate judge compared to the guy who sits on the bench where I originally come from , was up before her recently for a speeding offense and witnessed her at work

too liberal in my book

drum! wrote: »
    Fair me howl! She's incredibly inconsistent, her punishments often don't fit the crime and she's an absolute battleaxe. I can't believe some of the horrible things she says to people when dishing out a sentence for meagre, non-violent crimes.

take a visit to either monaghan or cavan district some time

compared to judge sean mc bride , fahy is mary poppins and the tooth fairy rolled into one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Should she have thrown your book at you ? :D

snubbleste wrote: »
    Should she have thrown your book at you ? :D

she allowed the guard to strike out my summons , I was late handing in my particulars at the station I nominated having not had a DOE cert on me the day I was pulled in , system summonsed me but I did have the cert

anyway I witnessed her give a suspended sentence to a guy for what I thought was most certainly an offense which warranted a custodial sentence , I didn't find her in the least bit nasty to anyone

mc bride in monaghan is an absolute " head the ball " and is recognised as such by most who work in the lawyer profession

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is 3 years old which is not a biggie itself if there is pertinent info to update it with.
    In this case there isn't any real info to update so I'll close it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement