Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bipod on a Aics

Options
  • 02-01-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question that those with an aics might be able to answer for me!

I got a deben bipod for Xmas,which is the very same as a Harris. But when I try fit it to the aics stock it won't fit tightly to the stock. The bipods are designed for round forearm stocks so the bipod is curved to make a tight fit.

However the aics forearm is flat and the bipod doesn't fit tight to it, there is always a bit of play with it....sorry if I have explained this badly but those with an aics should understand!

How did ye overcome this problem???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

http://www.408shooter.com/aics.htm

might be something here

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Possibly just a Deben problem? :confused:
    I understand your discription, but I have a Harris on mine, and it doesn't have the same problem.
    IMAG0198.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

dos29 wrote: »
    Possibly just a Deben problem? :confused:
    I understand your discription, but I have a Harris on mine, and it doesn't have the same problem.
    IMAG0198.jpg

Possibly, I'll try out a Harris as soon as I get home from work...

The bipod holds tight against stock but because the stock is flat the bipod rotates easily?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't have an AICS stock, but know the problem you are talking about. There are two solutions (as such) i know off.
    • All Deben and Harris bipods have level "sides" that actually make contact with the stock prior to the "hollow" in the bipods. These sides have a thin soft foam that protects the stock being marked by the bipod being pressed into the stock when you tighten. Sometimes i have seen it where the bipod is not tightened as much as possible and leaves a degree of "loosness" that allows movement. Make sure to tighten the bipod as much as possible. There is even an Allen Key adjustment in the centre of the tightening screw to ensure maximum adjustment.
    • The second and i've only seen this, is to replace the foam pieces with another material that is not as soft, but still gives a degree of protection against marking the stock.
    Not all stocks are rounded enough to allow the bipod to snuggly fit the forend of the stock. y own stock is similar. Although rounded on the sides the actual bottom of the foreend is flat. So when i put a harris or Deben on it, its the flat sides of the Harris that makes contact with the stock and i do experience a slight degree of cany/tilt even when tightened fully.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks erzi the foam on my bipod is in the hollow but doesn't come up to the edges, I was thinking a piece of rubber might work??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Really? :eek:

Here is the Harris. You can see the foam pieces along the "sides" or edges of the bipod that makes contact with the stock.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2pXIDl07-g8XLegXN0nVaWsacMSqxzL7CS6zw-KMzkZBsRVjR

Here is the Deben. It has the same foam and while it may appear a little more down in the hollow they should still sit high up enough to make contact with the stock.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFZc-wJbnTufr1xzRNADGOHtIccHYNwBhmYg1ROj1fMmNAc_SIgg

The rubber is a good idea, but a small tip. If you are going to fashion a piece why not mould it completely. By that i mean measure the depth of the hollow, the width from edge to edge of the bipod, etc, etc. Cut a piece of rubber the necessary depth and trim away the edges and sides so that the rubber piece now fills the hollow and levels/fills out the hollow of the bipod as it makes contact with the stock. Obviously leaving a small hole for the clasp of the bipod to still grab the QD stud.

Does that make sense or am i describing that a**e ways. :confused:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you're thinking of modifying it with some rubber, it might be easier to use something like Sugru.

It's like plasticine, but hardens to a rubbery finish. It's fairly easy to work with too. I've used it for a few things on my rifle. It hardens most of the way in 30 mins and is fully cured in 24 hours. You can trim off any excess with a sharp knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

I've a Harris on my AICS and it went straight on, nice tight fit with no mods needed

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

IRLConor wrote: »
    If you're thinking of modifying it with some rubber, it might be easier to use something like Sugru.

That stuff looks awsome Conor. I already have a bunch of stuff in mind for it!
    And ideal for the prob here.

dos29 wrote: »
    That stuff looks awsome Conor. I already have a bunch of stuff in mind for it!

It's great stuff.

I've used it to (among other things): stop my cheekpiece from being too slippery, make my pistol grip fit my hand better and make a contact patch for my trigger finger*.

* It's not fun to rest your trigger finger on freezing metal on cold ranges.

• Advertisement

Came home and fitted my fathers harris to the AICS and it was perfect as ye said!

Compared my deben to the harris and noticed that the walls of the deben are steeper so only two lines of contact are experienced between the bipod and stock..... whereas with the harris the walls are slanted but then level out so there is a way bigger area of contact with the stock... its hard to visualise but look at the pics erzidax put up and its evident.

The other problem is the padding on the harris has much more grip, the deben has a cheaper material which still provides protection but very little grip!

Now where can i get some of that Sugru?!:cool:

patsat wrote: »
    Now where can i get some of that Sugru?!:cool:

Off the website is the best bet, but if you only want a little bit PM me your address and I'll stick some in the post to you. I've a little bit spare.

IRLConor wrote: »
    Off the website is the best bet, but if you only want a little bit PM me your address and I'll stick some in the post to you. I've a little bit spare.

Thanks for the generosity IrlConor your an absolute star! Arrived in the post today :D

But the stock/rifle are up at Fergal whites for a few jobs so I'll let ye know how I get on when I get it back!

patsat wrote: »
    Thanks for the generosity IrlConor your an absolute star! Arrived in the post today :D

But the stock/rifle are up at Fergal whites for a few jobs so I'll let ye know how I get on when I get it back!

Glad to hear it, have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Harris make an adapter for putting their bipods on flat forends so im sure
    it would work with the deben also.
    Its called a HB9 adapter.
    I have one on my bell and carlson medalist tactical stock and it works fine.

Recieved some sugru from IrlConor in the post!

Fitted it the other night and now the Bi-pod is rock solid on the AICS!:cool:

Thanks again!

Excellent! Good to hear it found a good home. :)

Advertisement