Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Father Ted do us any favours ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The writer of Only Fools & Horses was Irish. The whole thing might as well have been an Irish show because it was all based on his family experience. A lot of the stuff like the chandelier, poker scenes were stuff his father got up to back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

MyKeyG wrote: »
    The 'Paddy' painter and decorater in Only fools,

Did people honestly get their knickers in a twist over this?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Like the rest of the world gives a toss about Father Ted.

Well its quite popular in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

seachto7 wrote: »
    Did people honestly get their knickers in a twist over this?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Well in one episode Del accuses him of being a drunken Irish man to nick a decorating job. It's not a matter of people getting their knickers in a twist over one or two incidents. The Irish were casually stereotyped for years on British television. Like I said it's all the one to me, but people are entitled to their sensibilities. It's real to some people. The treatment my Uncle got when working in England was attrocious and his family had to watch 'the thick Paddy' on television to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pedroThePirate

The Irish were casually stereotyped for years on British television. Like I said it's all the one to me, but people are entitled to their sensibilities. It's real to some people. The treatment my Uncle got when working in England was attrocious and his family had to watch 'the thick Paddy' on television to boot.

This is exactly the point I was making in my original post
    and I'm glad to see a number of people agreeing with me.

Ireland has a lot still to do (Riverdance and Eurovision notwithstanding)
    to offset this horrible stereotyped image. Does every other country in
    Europe really believe that they have none of the dreadful Father Ted
    characters in their own populations ? Sure, there are thick, barely
    literate people in Ireland, but there are thick, barely literate people almost
    everywhere you look, in any country.

The sooner Ireland stops propping up this image of the daft, bucolic
    potato-munching rural peasant and begins showing the world that
    this country produced the likes of Sean O'Casey, J P Donleavy, and
    W B Yeats, the better it will be for all of us, native Irish and newcomer
    alike.

Chris

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Well in one episode Del accuses him of being a drunken Irish man to nick a decorating job. It's not a matter of people getting their knickers in a twist over one or two incidents. The Irish were casually stereotyped for years on British television. Like I said it's all the one to me, but people are entitled to their sensibilities. It's real to some people. The treatment my Uncle got when working in England was attrocious and his family had to watch 'the thick Paddy' on television to boot.
    Oh peace...

So what? Are Yorkshire folk really as tight-fisted and simple as on Open All Hours or Last of the Summer Wine? East-end Londoners as narrow-minded dodgy and crafty as Only Fools & Horses or In Sickness and In Health? People in the Home Counties of England village idiots? Scousers all on the lurch as in Bread?

Playing the victim by proxy doesn't prove anything except thin skin.

Father Ted (and Fawlty Towers too) was clever, brilliantly acted and written. It was almost perfect actually.

Does every other country in
    Europe really believe that they have none of the dreadful Father Ted
    characters in their own populations ?

No, they don't.

Off the top of my head and based on where I've ended up throughout my life, Kat & Kim in Australia, Borettslaget in Norway, Ramzor in Israel. The list of hilarious character driven comedies with "dreadful" characters in Britain and the States is endless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

AAARGGGHHHH more political correctness gone mad. Father Ted is funny ... I for one am not insulted by it.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Oh peace...

So what? Are Yorkshire folk really as tight-fisted and simple as on Open All Hours or Last of the Summer Wine? East-end Londoners as narrow-minded dodgy and crafty as Only Fools & Horses or In Sickness and In Health? People in the Home Counties of England village idiots? Scousers all on the lurch as in Bread?
    No that wasn't my point. I have no problem with people laughing at themselves in fact I think it shows great character. My point was that in the current climate you walk a fine line with nationalistic or race related comedy. One nation constantly showcasing another in a negative light using cliché gets bad press.

I was reading a Only fools and horses thread on IMDb a while back and someone was making the point that past episodes on GOLD have been butchered to remove terms like 'Paddy', 'Packie' and such. Again, like I said, I don't agree but I recognize that these are the times in which we live.

I wholeheartedly agree that we have been the butt of British comedy for years. The argument here is are we sustaining that belief with our own flavour of paddywhackery? To be honest I don't think so but I don't judge people who are sensitive to that idea.

No that wasn't my point. I have no problem with people laughing at themselves in fact I think it shows great character. My point was that in the current climate you walk a fine line with nationalistic or race related comedy. One nation constantly showcasing another in a negative light using cliché gets bad press

The shows I mentioned are sold worldwide. They are there for you and anyone else to laugh at.
    The exact same way that Father Ted is. The only reason that it wasn't produced by an Irish company is because the national broadcaster opted against a show showing the clergy of the roman catholic church in Ireland in a bad light.
    As it happened, the show was so popular that they just couldn't avoid the ratings that it gets whenever broadcast.
    Its not race-related or nationalistic in the slightest, apart from the episode which ridiculed racism. It was written by two people who know fully well what they're talking about.

• Advertisement

Look Britain can make British shows showing the British up as the biggest idiots in the world and sell it to whoever they want, that's their prerogative. The argument is not if Fr Ted is Irish or not, I always considered the defining factors of the show being of Irish origin (writing, wit etc) making it Irish in my view. The argument is if show's like Father Ted and Killinaskully for example exacerbate a British cliché of the Irish that we've had to tolerate for years?

Maybe I'm playing devils advocate because I agree with you, yes political correctness has hit ridiculous hights but I just don't think the OP is being particularly unreasonable either. I mean off hand I can't think of a single Irish comedy that doesn't play off one cliché or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

The exact same way that Father Ted is. The only reason that it wasn't produced by an Irish company is because the national broadcaster opted against a show showing the clergy of the roman catholic church in Ireland in a bad light.
    As it happened, the show was so popular that they just couldn't avoid the ratings that it gets whenever broadcast.
    Its not race-related or nationalistic in the slightest, apart from the episode which ridiculed racism. It was written by two people who know fully well what they're talking about.

I'm pretty sure Matthews and Linehan bypassed RTE and went straight to Channel 4 with the idea for the show.

Glassheart wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Matthews and Linehan bypassed RTE and went straight to Channel 4 with the idea for the show.

Not according to an interview on BBC Radio 4's 'The Interview'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No that wasn't my point. I have no problem with people laughing at themselves in fact I think it shows great character. My point was that in the current climate you walk a fine line with nationalistic or race related comedy. One nation constantly showcasing another in a negative light using cliché gets bad press.

I think its a great shame that some critics want to retroactively apply the standards of 2011 to the art of the 1990s. Any television viewer with an ounce of intelligence should know that comedy is built on a cornerstone of caricatures. They're not supposed to be realistic portrayals of an entire nation. Rather, certain traits that are true to life are exaggerated for entertainment. Understanding the context of a remark is very important, as this thread demonstrates. Applying the standards of a documentary to a comedy will always produce skewed results.

(I'm not aiming that at you, MyKeyG. Your post just prompted me to make the point.)
    I was reading a Only fools and horses thread on IMDb a while back and someone was making the point that past episodes on GOLD have been butchered to remove terms like 'Paddy', 'Packie' and such. Again, like I said, I don't agree but I recognize that these are the times in which we live.

Once again, I think it's a pity that editors had to make such actions. Not because I enjoy laughing at minorities, of course, but because it suggests the viewing majority aren't capable of telling the difference between bigotry and good humour.

Oh I know you weren't. In fact it's why I made the point as I agree. I was actually watching Only Fools the other day and they cut out a great gag. It was 'The Frogs legacy'. They go to Lisa's wedding and Rodney wants to know if the crockery set they got the happy couple was from the 'bankrupt chinkys'. Too much sacrificed by political correctness already.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

The argument is if show's like Father Ted and Killinaskully for example exacerbate a British cliché of the Irish that we've had to tolerate for years?

Father Ted and Killinaskully should never be mentioned in the same sentence EVER!! :mad:

One is the funniest show ever made and the other a shining example of embarrasing paddywhackery ever broadcast. If the op started off this thread as Did Kilinaskully do us any favours? this would be a completely different thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Not according to an interview on BBC Radio 4's 'The Interview'.

well I've most definitely heard graham lineham himself say that the show was never offered to rte. because it just never entered their heads to do so as it would have been a waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I for one would never have gone to Clare were it not for Father Ted. I toured the conty on my motorbike for 2 days during the summer just to get around to Ted's house, the cliffs etc etc.

I'm from Cork btw.

el dude wrote: »
    well I've most definitely heard graham lineham himself say that the show was never offered to rte. because it just never entered their heads to do so as it would have been a waste of time.
    Yeah and I've heard him discount the myth that RTE turned him away.

Crasp wrote: »
    I toured the conty on my motorbike for 2 days
    I think you need a better motorbike LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It was a fantastic, original and genuinely hilarious tv show.

And that's exactly what it was supposed to be.

It was not auditioning for grand ambassador for Ireland.

Its huge success and acclaim is something we should all be proud of.

Advertisement