Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European NES/ uk games?

• 02-01-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if there is a way to play uk games on a european/french NES. can it be modified or will i have to just buy a uk one? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

There is some sort of region mod on NES don't know if it's easy to do or not but I'm sure someone on here will be of some more help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

thanks, it would be good to know if it could be done

Hope this helps. Never done the mod so I'd wait for conformation from our resident modders before trying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

As in the video that pdbhp posted,it really is that simple.Just open up the Nes and snip apart that pin #4 and you're done.Probably one of the easiest mods ever for a region free Nes.

thanks pdbhp and Dark Savior. i didnt think id get this response so quick, and the mod looks easy. cant wait to try it out.

• Advertisement

No problems good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

UK & Europe are both PAL. There's no compatability issue as they're the same region.

There seems to be different European versions.

Master of the Universe

Oh wait, you mentioned a French NES? That's the Secam NES. I'm still pretty sure it'll play PAL games without any issue.

The French one should o1s1n so I'm led to believe I thin it's Italy and Spain are PAL 2 making them incompatible

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Where'd you hear that about Italy and Spain? If it is true, it must be NES specific as I've never come across any such compatability issues with Megadrive/Snes games from all over the PAL/Secam region. They're the same games just with different packaging.

Think it's just on the NES. Now I'm not 100% about it I just heard before that there we're different regions of PAL NES. The English/Irish was PAL 1 (Mattel) and Spain and Italy and maybe greece were PAL 2. Don't quote me on it yet as I don't see much info about it on the net

I do remember reading at the time about a "NES version" and "Mattel version." Either way, my NES has "NES Version" printed on the flap.

There seems to be 2 PAL versions for France a SECAM NES and normal PAL 1 wierd!

Master of the Universe

If you look at a NES box they all say 'This game pak may only be used with 'Mattel' or 'NES' versions of the Nintendo Entertainment System'. So even if there are a couple of different console versions, from what I gather the games were designed to work right across the PAL region.

I'm open to correction on that as I don't have any way of testing it out 100%.

I found this, seems there are indeed two Euro regions.

Also found that the Mattel version NES consoles were made pre-1990 as Nintendo had no European base at the time of launch.

There is probably no issue regarding games working across the same region it's just strange that there is differing versions of the same region.

Edit: seems there is an issue regarding cross PAL regions (strange)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Yes there are a couple of different regions, but disabling the lockout chip will make your Nes play games from anywhere in the world, barring maybe 1% of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Karsini is correct re the Mattel version, it's from a time when there were no EU Nintendo headquarters. They're made by Nintendo, but were distributed under Mattel (I think)... When I was doing my NES mod log I noticed mine was the Mattel version, they're rarer alright, but currently worth no more than a 'Nintendo Version' NES :( Ah well, I can live & hope :rolleyes:

Dismember pin 4 from the chip, enjoy multi-region goodness. (Yes we know about Famicom extra chips Retr0 :p)

Advertisement