Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everton v Spurs 5/1/11

Options
  • 02-01-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

So after coming through a difficult Christmas/New Year period with maximum points Spurs hit the road for Goodison on Wednesday night. Everton are without Tim Cahill due to Australia playing in the Asian cup.
    For Tottenham, Defoe serves the last of his 3 game ban while Robbie Keane is out with a hamstring injury.
    There is a bit of a gap opening between the top 5 and the rest and with Arsenal playing City this is a chance to close the gap at the top.

COYS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hopefully we can get three points I'm hoping they are as fatigued as we are because they have a habit of beating us and using that to kick start there season and they haven't even played badly recently they have been a tad bit unlucky and not clinical enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Am I right in saying also that Cahill will be available for them before leaving for the Asian Cup. Pity if so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭yiddo59

WHL wrote: »
    Am I right in saying also that Cahill will be available for them before leaving for the Asian Cup. Pity if so

AFAIK he won;t be playing. He flew out to join the Aussie squad Aafter the Everton Stoke game yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

This is a good test for the United game next week. Everton haven't been as strong than in recent seasons, Arteta hasn't been performing, strikers aren't scoring and their stand-out player is off to Asia. We really should have won this fixture last year but Defoe missed another penalty. I'd expect to see Crouch, well hope to see him. Palacios will more than likely be starting again, not sure about the CB though, what with all the injuries and suspensions. Hoping for a clean sheet and a win for the 3rd game running, think its well within our reach.
    Gomes
    Hutton - - - Dawson - - - Gallas - - - BAE
    Lennon - - - Modric - - - Palacios - - - Bale
    Van der Vaart
    Crouch

COYS

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I don't think so, Australia are playing their 1st game on the 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

cahill not available, last game was against stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

tough game - we looked a bit leggy against fulham
    then again Everton are very hot and cold
    all in all I'd take a point now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I would have said take a point before Chelsea today but now we gotta try push on and maybe be able to get away with getting screwed against united (like we always do).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

This game will be a real test as we have not rotated at all over the christmas period. That been said I can see Harry playing his strongest available XI and then resting a few in the Charlton game. 3 points here would round off an excellent christmas, and with City playing at the Emirates we will have a chance to close the gap on at least one of those.

What's the story with Hutton? He went off early against Fulham. The only real selection questions appear to be Hutton/Charlie, Palacios/Jenas and Crouch/Pav.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fcuk Beckham, fcuk the CL (for the time being), and fcuk everything else the media are talking about related to Spurs, this is one of the toughest away fixtures we have left and is what matters this week. In years gone by, I'd have taken a point, not now, Everton are very hot and cold, we should be looking to beat them imo.

Here's the team news from the site. COYS

Alan Hutton is the main injury doubt ahead of Wednesday night's trip to Everton.

The Scottish full-back was forced off with a foot problem after 28 minutes of our 1-0 win against Fulham on New Year's Day.

"It's not broken but the foot is swollen," reported boss Harry Redknapp before training on Tuesday morning. "He's going to come out and run on it today, but he won't be joining in with the full session."

William Gallas is also a doubt with a slightly tight hamstring.

Jermain Defoe and Younes Kaboul remain suspended while Tom Huddlestone, Ledley King, Carlo Cudicini, Jonathan Wooddate and Jamie O'Hara remain out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I don't think that playing Charlie instead of Hutton is a major drop down. Similarly if Gallas doesn't make it and Bassong has to play - although we will obviously be in big trouble for defensive back-up. I agree that we need to get through tomorrow night, go for the three points and make wholesale changes at the weekend so that all the long-term players (Gomes, Hutton, Bennie, Lennon, Bale, Modric & VDV) get a rest before Utd on Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Wouldn't it just be fantastic to win this one? The team and the supporters are on a high after a brilliant Christmas period and another win here would keep the Spurs bandwagon moving nicely forwards. They're missing Cahill and I believe Coleman is a doubt, which is good as he's a very decent full back and would provide a good match for Bale as he's quick. Having said that, I'd begrudgingly take a draw if that happens, just to maintain our unbeaten streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Everton team news
    Everton are without defender Phil Jagielka.The England international aggravated a thigh strain on his return to action in Saturday's loss at Stoke City.

John Heitinga (knee) could replace him if he passes a fitness test but winger Seamus Coleman is also doubtful after a blow to the ribs. Top goalscorer Tim Cahill is on international duty with Australia at the Asian Cup.

Tottenham team news
    Alan Hutton and William Gallas are injury concerns for Tottenham ahead of Wednesday night's trip to Everton.
    Hutton suffered a foot injury against Fulham and is rated as "touch and go" by manager Harry Redknapp while Gallas is nursing a tight hamstring.

By the way Coleman plays on the right wing for Everton. The great Phil Neville is their RB, Bale should do well. No doubt Neville will try kick him off the field. I think this game will suit VDV and would fancy him to get two.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

kakee wrote: »
    By the Coleman plays on the right wing for Everton. The great Phil Neville is their RB, Bale should do well. No doubt Neville will try kick him off the field. I think this game will suit VDV and would fancy him to get two.

Although Coleman plays on the right wing for Everton, it was his hard work and doubling up on Bale in the game at the Lane earlier on this season that worked so well for Everton. If Coleman does not play it would be a huge bonus for Spurs.

I think Crouch should be given a chance tonight as he caused them lots of trouble in the home game. (one penalty not given for Jagielka mugging him springs to mind).
    The way we are playing at the moment we should be capable of taking all 3 points especially as they will be without Cahill and Jagielka and hopefully Coleman. My only concern is fatigue. We were hanging on at the end against Fulham so maybe Harry will make a few changes- Crouch, Charlie & Bassong( enforced),, Sandro perhaps. I hope he keeps the main men on the field tonight ie VDV, Bale, Luka and gives them a rest at the weekend before next weeks game.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Newstalk and RTE both had Coleman and Jagielka definitely out on this morning's programmes, though the BBC and the Telegraph have Coleman subject to fitness tests today. Good news for us if he doesn't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Is Kyle Walker in the squad for this game? We refused to extend his loan at QPR so he must either be in Harrys plans or else we are looking to loan him out in the Premier League.
    I wouldn't mind seeing him chucked straight in for this game as he is a terrific prospect.

With Arsenal or/and Man City dropping at least 2 points I think a win tonight would be some job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CortezTheKiller

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Is Kyle Walker in the squad for this game? We refused to extend his loan at QPR so he must either be in Harrys plans or else we are looking to loan him out in the Premier League.
    I wouldn't mind seeing him chucked straight in for this game as he is a terrific prospect.

Reports this morning of Houllier wanting to take Walker on loan to Villa for the rest of the season.

I hope the lads are in better shape then they were against Fulham and I hope that we can get a win it would be a huge win for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭larry1

• Advertisement

Gomes
    Hutton Dawson Gallas BAE
    Lennon JJ Modric Bale
    VDV
    Crouch

Jaysus, Gomes gave him plenty to aim at...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody got any working links???

This one working perfectly
    http://trgoals.net/ch2.html

What an attempt by VDV!!

YYYYYYYYYUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get in VDV, HON TA FCUK Crouchie!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭larry1

Great link up with Crouch again .. get in there VDV :D

Chelsea 1-0 and City under siege. Could work out good night for us if we pull away.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

THFC wrote: »
    This one working perfectly
    http://trgoals.net/ch2.html

What an attempt by VDV!!

I can't seem to get the links to work :mad: - any other links?

Its just crashed for me there too, desperately trying to find a steady one, I've looked at a few sites now, cant find one yet, will let you know if I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

Advertisement