Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI health insurance

Options
  • 02-01-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all.

I was just wondering did anyone get orthognathic surgery where VHI covered the procedure and if so what plan were ye with and for how long?

If anyone had the surgery how much would it have been in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Check with VHI if covered as not all maxial facial surgeons are participating - same for wisdom teeth.

If it was regarded by the insurer as a special procedure and it was carried out in Blackrock Clinic, there might only be 35% cover for Plan A, 90% cover for Plan B and 100% cover for Plan D.

If you don't have cover already, you will have a waiting period of 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shine Star

Thanks broker. I believe the surgeon is participating. He is is a public hospital does that mean plan A would cover it all? Would it be regarded as a fixed procedure or other? Are you sure about the 5 yrs or will the waiting period be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

If it is procedure that they cover, it would be fully covered under Plan A for a semi private room - Aviva under Level 1 Hospital would give 100% for a private room whereas Quinn would have a shortfall of €55 per night for the private room.

How long have you had Plan A cover? - if you have had it for 5 years there won't be an issue as you will be regarded as having served your waiting period for pre existing conditions. There is a 5 year waiting period for pre existing conditions and I would imagine that this would be regarded as a pre exisitng condition.

SO if you have cover of Plan A for 4 years, you will have to wait for 1 year to have the procedure covered by private health insurance. This is very clear cut, so there would be no issue in checking with VHI. I reckon by the sounds of it you don't have cover for 5 years ?

This is the same for all 3 insurers.

Advertisement