Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you learn the bass without a teacher?

• 02-01-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I want to learn the bass and I'm finding it difficult to find bass guitar lessons in Cork. So I was wondering, is it possible to teach yourself the bass? I know its not ideal but as I said I haven't been able to find a teacher.

Has anyone thought themselves and if so, what tools did you use? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm literally starting this week with Bass, now to be fair, I've been playing guitar for about 15 years and some will be familiar to me, but there's still new techniques for me to learn.

If you really can't find a teacher, then start buying some Bass magazines in Easons, they'll include some easy to play tutorials. You should also find some online resources about learning tabs, learning how chords are constructed (Even on bass), and then once you know about how to read tab, pick an easy song you like listening to and try to learn it off. It snowballs after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I did and I don't think it was too bad.
    My advice would be to learn how to read tab, then get some tabs for the kind of songs you'd like to play on the net and try playing them. It might be frustrating at first but by playing different songs with different styles you'll be accustomed to playing all sorts.
    Think I had a DVD at one stage as well that's really good for the basics.
    But yeah, definitely doable to learn bass alone! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bassface00

it is always best to have a good teacher, but bass tutors sre pretty rare. try looking up Marlowe DK on you tube. he gives great free lessons and tutorials. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Pretty good site here, nice tutorial for beginners right up through to more intermediate/advanced* techniques.

http://www.dmanlamius.com/

Cheers,
    somabht

* Well at least I think they are advanced! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

If you really can't find a teacher, then start buying some Bass magazines in Easons, they'll include some easy to play tutorials.

These magazines are not good value when you compare the amount of tutorial material to the price. For a little more than the price of one of these you could get three volumes of Ed Friedland's "Bass Method" book. Each book comes with a play along CD. See link below.
    Jammyc wrote: »
    I did and I don't think it was too bad.
    My advice would be to learn how to read tab, then get some tabs for the kind of songs you'd like to play on the net and try playing them.

Dont get too hung up on tabs. They are OK to a point, but it is better to develop you ear by trying to play what you hear.

The first thing I would recommend you to learn before anything else is good technique. It is always over looked. With good technique, not only do you get the best out of your playing, but you avoid physical problems (carpel tunnel syndrome etc ) later on. Below are some links to get you started. If you develop bad habits now, it will be hard to "unlearn" them later.

I would advise you to keep looking for a teacher if you can afford lessons, especially when starting out. You will learn more this way in a week, than in three months teaching yourself. A book or the net can not show you what you are doing wrong. Also, make sure he/she is a bass teacher, and not a guitarist who teaches bass on the side.

Ed Friedland/Hal Leonard book : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2/276-6919805-0027018?ie=UTF8&qid=1293987455&sr=8-2-fkmr2

Left hand technique : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRkSsapYYsA

R/H Technique : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

Finally, a great all round tutorial site for bass is www.studybass.com

When doing the exercises on this site, if you put the mouse over the notes, it gives you the sound of the note.

Good luck with it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

I've been playing bass for 20 years. I never took any lessons. I bought my first bass 'coz my mates were in "a band" and needed a bass player. :D
    I was fooling around with my first bass for some time, and after a few weeks one of my band mates showed me how to get it in tune... That was a revelation! :D

20 years down the line I have no regrets of not taking any lessons. I have to say though that I spent last two years on clearing up my technique...

Don't be too serious about your bass playing, that's the best advice I can give to you. Victor Wooten 'makes mistakes all the time' (in his own words)... and he's the sh!t.

Good luck, mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The reason I recommended magazines, is because you get an insight into all things Bass, not just technique or licks. You get all sorts of gear reviews, etc, and it just opens up your mind. I'm not saying buy all of them every month for 4 years, just get a couple to open up your mind to some new ideas, etc.

It's what I did when I picked up Guitar for the first time coming from Violin, and it helped a lot. I'd no clue about what sort of amp I'd need, or what made a good/bad guitar.

The reason I recommended magazines, is because you get an insight into all things Bass, not just technique or licks. You get all sorts of gear reviews, etc, and it just opens up your mind. I'm not saying buy all of them every month for 4 years, just get a couple to open up your mind to some new ideas, etc.

To each, his/her own, but I dont like bass magazines. They are 80% advertisments. For a free and more detailed insight into all aspects of the bass, as well as enough tutorial information to keep you going for years, I go go www.talkbass.com

Don't be too serious about your bass playing, that's the best advice I can give to you.

:confused:

IMO, better advice is to be serious about learning and improving, be patient with yourself, and above all, have fun. :)

I'm going to move this over to the playing techniques section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I am in the camp of learning by yourself as it's exactly what I did. Now I would say that it probably took me longer to get to a reasonable standard as I had to discover things like having the strap at a comfortable height and the importance of warming up myself where a good teacher would have gone through the basics with me.

As for what I did when I was starting out, I bought tab books and played along to albums. Lashing through Metallica's Ride The Lightning and Kill 'Em All at the same tempo as the album got me up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

You can indeed teach yourself once you do it right. I agree with much of what has been said here, especially about bass mags. I'm in the camp that they are not value for money and offer little other than suggesting ways to part with your cash.
    One thing I will add to this thread is that I suggest you practice the scales predominantly to start off with. Tabs are great for learning your favourite songs and picking up neat little bass runs but they don't teach you why you can play those notes. Practice scales and call out the note your playing as you do. It's a fundamental. You need to know what notes you can or cannot play when say in a G chord.
    Play with other people as often as you can. Even at the start. You will be amazed at what you will pick up and learn from playing with others.
    Also I recommend listening to Gerry McEvoys playing on Rory Gallaghers albums. Personally I think he has such a great style that is achievable for anyone with enough practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I learned on nevermind years ago... :) Nice learning curve from polly to lounge act. I'm self taught, but got lessons when i started guitar and definately picked it up faster than the bass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Hi OP,

I've been playing bass for 5 years now. I had a teacher for a few weeks, however he didn't teach me anything useful at all, I found it to be a waste of money.

So what I did was watch Youtube videos of how famous bassists play to get the technique correct (plucking, using fingers or picks, etc) and discovered my own way.

As for tabs I used www.ultimate-guitar.com for the first few months but you gradually come to be able to learn songs by ear, depending on how much you practice. I practiced for about an hour a day, every day, and increased it to about 2.

Another thing I found useful was 'Bass Guitar For Dummies'- my girlfriend bought it for me last year, and I'm still learning new things from it (exercises and some music theory).

What kind of music would you like to play?

lalee17 wrote: »
    I've been playing bass for 5 years now. I had a teacher for a few weeks, however he didn't teach me anything useful at all, I found it to be a waste of money.

That is probably because the teacher you got was not that great. That does not mean that all lessons are a waste of time. As in all things, not all teachers are the same. Sometimes you have to try more than one, 'till you find one that suits, and IMO they are worth searching for.

As a matter of curiosity, what did the teacher teach you that you found not to be useful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭AndyTheDude

Don't be too serious about your bass playing, that's the best advice I can give to you.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    :confused:

:D

Playing the bass is all about the feel, not the technique. One can be like "Look 'ma, I'm savage with them thumb triplets..." and spend an entire gig playing simple quarter/eight notes... which is something we, bass players mostly do. :rolleyes:

Them fecking quarter notes have to be played "on the spot", though. And that's what makes you a good bass player. It took me a good few years before I realised it, years that I wasted on practising "the funky peel off" ;)

:D

Playing the bass is all about the feel, not the technique. One can be like "Look 'ma, I'm savage with them thumb triplets..." and spend an entire gig playing simple quarter/eight notes... which is something we, bass players mostly do. :rolleyes:

You are correct, playing the bass is all about the feel, but to physically play at your very best, and excute that feel, you must start at the beginning (bottom ;)). Good technique (by this I mean how you fret, how you pluck, how you hold the bass etc ) should be mastered first, as it is the foundation on which your playing is built. If your technique is not up to scratch, you will tire sooner, your playing will sound sloppy, and you will possibly give yourself carpel tunnel syndrome or something similar later on. "Feel" comes with experience of playing with others, listening closely to other band members, and also listening to lots of music. It can be elusive. I have seen/heard many bassists with chops to burn, but absolutely no feel. The trick is to nail both. :)

BTW, you still have not explained what you mean by not taking your bass playing too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'd have to agree with Rigsby that technique is very important. No amount of feeling will do you any good if you can't play properly. You're just artificially limiting your potential and it doesn't automatically follow that you'll end up being one of those show-off, only plays at lightening speed types.

On the issue of teachers, actual bass teachers (as opposed to a guitar teacher doing it on the side) are few and far between in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

There's so much info out there that it's definately possible to teach yourself.
    However, I'd say with the added guidance of a good teacher you will progress a lot faster.
    I'd say the biggest problem with teaching yourself is discipline. I'd advise you to set achievable goals (say, each month) and work through them.

There's too much to say on this topic. PM me if you want some more advice.

Here's some things you, and others, may find useful:

Look at the bass syllabus here:
    http://www.rgt.org/downloads/

Basic music theory:
    http://classic.musictheory.net/

Sight reading:
    http://www.practicesightreading.com/

Ear training:
    http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer

Some transcriptions:
    http://www.lucaspickford.com/transbass.htm

Good luck.
    AD

18AD wrote: »
    However, I'd say with the added guidance of a good teacher you will progress a lot faster.
    I'd say the biggest problem with teaching yourself is discipline.

I agree. For a beginner on any instrument, it is hard to know just where to start. A teacher can decide on a practice routine and can build on it as the student progresses. A teacher can also inspire you, and prevent you from getting into a rut. I got lessons from several teachers when starting out. Later on I learned on my own, but now and then I still go back for lessons if I feel I have reached a dead end. Almost always, the lessons gave me the kick start I needed and I was off again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dit guitar society

ya id just get d feel for it, maybe download a tab program, get playing , get comfortable den go for a bit of theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It can be elusive. I have seen/heard many bassists with chops to burn, but absolutely no feel. The trick is to nail both. :)

Unfortunately I feel like I'm the opposite way round most of the time. I can ride on the root and make it sound good... but you won't find me dancin' up the fretboard. The strange thing is that when I was say 16 or 17 after starting out it was the opposite. I guess I've become more comfortable with the instrument but with that I never bothered keeping chops handy to show off. :o:(

Dord wrote: »
    Unfortunately I feel like I'm the opposite way round most of the time. I can ride on the root and make it sound good... but you won't find me dancin' up the fretboard.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Better to play root notes all night and keep a good groove, (this should be a bassist's first priority ), than be all over the neck at the cost of the groove.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Better to play root notes all night and keep a good groove, (this should be a bassist's first priority ), than be all over the neck at the cost of the groove.

Oh I know, just sometimes... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

I know a very good bass tutor in Cork city. I've PMd you his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

....I personally wouldn't bother with Bass Magazines, €6 to >€8 for very many adverts and very little theory. Check your local library, many of the city council libraries have a decent music section with instruction books & dvds. As mentioned previously YouTube is also a great resource. If you can afford a few lessons it would definitely get you up and running a lot quicker than learning on your own. Once you get the basics under yor belt I'd definitely suggest playing along to a metronome/drum-loops as often as possible. Learning to be in time is just as important as learning scales, chords etc. I'd also recommend jamming with other musicians as soon as you think you're able or joining a band (or several if you can!) - it's a great way of developing your own style of playing and you'll learn a lot about the role of the bass with the context of a band. And don't take any BS from guitarists! Good luck to you anyways dude

Air_Bass wrote: »
    ....I personally wouldn't bother with Bass Magazines, €6 to >€8 for very many adverts and very little theory. Check your local library, many of the city council libraries have a decent music section with instruction books & dvds. As mentioned previously YouTube is also a great resource. If you can afford a few lessons it would definitely get you up and running a lot quicker than learning on your own. Once you get the basics under yor belt I'd definitely suggest playing along to a metronome/drum-loops as often as possible. Learning to be in time is just as important as learning scales, chords etc. I'd also recommend jamming with other musicians as soon as you think you're able or joining a band (or several if you can!) - it's a great way of developing your own style of playing and you'll learn a lot about the role of the bass with the context of a band. And don't take any BS from guitarists! Good luck to you anyways dude

I wouldn't bother with Bass Player but Bass Guitar Magazine (UK) is quite good. The reviews, interviews and lessons are excellent. You would need a grasp of written music for the lessons as they don't include tab normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BuddyBassett

Ive been playing bass for over16 years now and am completely self taught, the magazines might have some useful tips or tricks but to be honest, its vital to fully understand the bass guitars role first of all, its place in the band so to speak. You can learn and devour tab after tab but its the understanding of an instrument that makes a player "great" in my opinion. Learn some riffs from your favorite bass players by all means but make sure you get some practical practice with other people too! I found that playing bass live with tabs you know inside and out helped me to further my understanding of rhythm! It truly depends on your favorite style as to wether or not you might need lessons! Determination and practice will outweigh any amount of lessons if your serious about becoming a "great" bass player! Billy Sheehan and Les Claypool are amongst some of the best bassists out there in my opinion and there are LOADS of videos on youtube of them talking about there playing techniques. I personally love the bass, I play guitar too but the bass gives me the highest rewards, its so much fun! :) Best of luck with yor learning, dont ever stop!! :) Once you stop learning then your screwed! ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

I dont think the word "timing" has been mentioned yet?

If you are starting off get a metronome and practice those scales to a metronome. That and playing along with your favourite tunes. Starting off you wont go too far wrong. Tab can shortcut you to learning a song but 90% of tab on the net is incorrect and it wont help with your timing or feel.

I never got lessons and the only regret I have and I still suffer to this day is having poor technique on my fretting hand so I wish I could have sorted that at the outset.

The you tube tutorials by Marlowe and Dmanlanius are very good too.

I like the Bass Guitar Magazines especially BG-UK. You can get 12 issues for about €50. The interviews are very good and some of the reviews on gear.

I'd say you'll struggle to find a bass guitar teacher and you probably wont beat what you can get on you tube. You still have to do all the hard work yourself but good luck. Its a brilliant instrument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

setanta74 wrote: »
    I dont think the word "timing" has been mentioned yet?

If you are starting off get a metronome and practice those scales to a metronome. That and playing along with your favourite tunes. Starting off you wont go too far wrong.
    Good point on the metronome. I use this online one.
    setanta74 wrote:
    90% of tab on the net is incorrect
    And 67% of all statistics are made up on the spot ;). If you stick to Guitar Pro tabs the fact that you can hear what the writer of the tab intended means you can usually pick up any differences between the original and the tabbed song.

Advertisement